New Forum Registration Rules

Supreme Cmdr

I think it's important that there will be somewhere for non-owners to come and say: 'Look, I've heard a lot about this game, but would like to hear opinions from the people who are actually playing it'.

OK, so they'll get a resounding thumbs up, but if that persuades them to buy it, then it can't be all bad, can it?

If it is completely closed, it could just feed the flamers about 'Smart and his fanboys closing ranks blah blah blah'. OK, we should really be ignoring these twats, but who here sometimes can't resist the temptation to retaliate?

Just an opinion.

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Paddy, thats what the general discussion forum is for.

I know, I'm just er, uhm adding weight to the argument.

You did ask for opinions after all.

Some questions.

1) How do we know who each other are if we decide to change our username during transition? "There are no dumb questions...but I'll try anyway"

2) Will there be posting "ranks" in the new system?

3) I'm not involved in this, but what's happening to the RP section? (I like to read them, so I suppose read-only isn't so bad a restriction for me but I'm also thinking about the writers).

4) When we register - does that BCM registration number become our username, or just the "gateway" to choosing one? I sure hope that the number isn't our username...

5) I notice among differences between OpenTopic and UBB is that OpenTopic is "fully hosted on InfoPop servers". Does that mean 3000AD isn going to be relinquishing some responsibility for the forums? Such as that InfoPop becomes responsible for the technical size of maintaining the site/servers, but not moderation?

6) Will we have smilies? (Note, did research and think the answer is "yes", correct?)

7) Will we have private messaging capabilities? (Saw that UBB does, but couldn't find it for OpenTopic).

(Like your sig, SC! hehe)

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

quote:

1) How do we know who each other are if we decide to change our username during transition?

The 3000ad member formerly known as $iLk.

Sound good?

Anyhoo, I think SC wants us to keep the same username as he stated above. Read his posts.

quote:

The 3000ad member formerly known as $iLk.

Sound good?

I doubt that the 'Artist formerly known as the artist formerly known as Prince' would like that $ilk.

I think the best thing to do is just wipe out everyone's records and have everyone re-register again.

Then, once someone re-registers, if you have also not registered your copy of BCM, you won't get approved to enter the forum.

I'll try this first, before completely changing the forum software.

The reason I brought this up to begin with, is that there ARE still outsiders in this forum (yes, I see the Usenet postings) who have somehow gotten in back when I had CAT also handling registeration approvals and prior to when approval was not required. Since I dunno who they are, I can't delete their records. Which is one of the reasons I wanted to switch the software. But now that I think about it, and in conjunction with some of the feedback here, I think thats probably too drastic.

The end result is, IF you are NOT invited here or DON'T have the game, you're not allowed in here. PERIOD.

UBB does not support the use of just setting a forum to read only. So, I can't set, say the demo discussion forum to give access to all, while leaving the others restricted. The only way to do prevent forum access is to either require registration or password protect the forum. And we know that using a password where the public is concerned, is ludicrous because some will just pass it around, regardless.

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

[QB]How do we know who each other are if we decide to change our username during transition?

I guess that everybody that is worth knowing will keep his/her's user name.

quote:

4) When we register - does that BCM registration number become our username, or just the "gateway" to choosing one? I sure hope that the number isn't our username...

heh,

quote: On Mo 27 nov fr54L-kzrT-fdh8Z wrote: I know 5zzgt-l5esz-kn9er meant well when he quoted 9ttzw-qqw2l-nbqkl, but he could say it in a nicer manner.

very practical...

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Riga ]

Well, here's my response.

I will not be buying the game right away. Simply can't afford it along with a new vid-card. I hope to have the vid-card by Nov, and then it's Christmas, which means I'm broke. It'll be after Christmas most likely. I may decide to buy the game first, and the vid-card later, based on this decision, but who knows.

At any rate, I agree with the SC, there is other way to keep outsiders out. I'm going to miss the posturing in the Fleet forums, but I'll be back, eventually.

SC perhaps you have some multi-personality people as members, praising you here, and bashing you elsewhere, (see Shirley/Fabio/Huffman)?

I suppose that keeping contents secret is a good thing, and realize that a passworded forum isn't the best way to keep bad people out... but is there a way to hand out the password on a case-by-case basis - through email, to community members who purchase BCM? Like using the ISBN code, as well as privileged inside-the-box info?

And since it would be case by case, lets say that Member # 25 requests access to the forum BCM Discussions.

MEMBER # 25 : can I have access to your forum?

SC : Sure thing, just give me the ISBN # from your box, and what is written on page 370 at the top of the instruction booklet in the left hand corner?

MEMBER #25 : um, 973-021919 and on the page it says Derek Smart ownz j00!

SC : Yes I do, and if I see anyone I haven't approved joining after you, you realize I will hunt you down and take your lunch money

MEMBER # 25 (scared) : I understand sir, thank you sir

SC : The password is ********

MEMBER # 25: but that's just a bunch of asterisks...

SC : Wouldn't have guessed it huh DUmbSHOES!!!

MEMBER #25 : Guess not... thanks SC

SC : Siddown and Shutup and RTFM, Welcome to my NIGHTMARE!!!

MEMBER #25 : Ahhhhhhh...!

So you see it is fullproof!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

I'm going to miss the posturing in the Fleet forums, but I'll be back, eventually.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I will, on a case by case basis, make some exceptions - especially in the case of staunch BC community members such as E5.

I can suppose you can be an exception too. Afterall, you're a wing leader...

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

Well, here's my response.

I will not be buying the game right away. Simply can't afford it along with a new vid-card. I hope to have the vid-card by Nov, and then it's Christmas, which means I'm broke. It'll be after Christmas most likely. I may decide to buy the game first, and the vid-card later, based on this decision, but who knows.

At any rate, I agree with the SC, there is other way to keep outsiders out. I'm going to miss the posturing in the Fleet forums, but I'll be back, eventually.

I already said that those who have been here longer and who are known in the community, will be allowed to re-register regardless of owning the game or not. Did you not see that?

Glad you approve SC, and glad to see that I brightened up your day with my l337 hum0r!!!

Ah well, I'm in the middle of studying so need to kick myself off the discussion board so I can get some work done...

$ilk, you are just too funny! ....But I liked Riga's little tidbit: "quote: On Mo 27 nov fr54L-kzrT-fdh8Z wrote: I know 5zzgt-l5esz-kn9er meant well when he quoted 9ttzw-qqw2l-nbqkl, but he could say it in a nicer manner."

LOL! Are we all going insane? Is the wait for BCM really killing us?

(crowd yells out in unison) NO!

(Nova) Are you sure?

(crowd).......

(Nova) And in visiting and checking this forum, are you also making sure that BCM isn't already at your doorstep? 'Cuz you never know..... *grin*

(crowd) *everyone leaves stands and runs to their mailboxes*

I like the idea of added security, at least in the Game Forums (as in non-general discussions). Passwords suck in my opinion as well.

I want to repeat a question (or two): Will we have Private Message capability in Open Topic? It's been well used for communication, for a lot of us.

What about the old topics here on the UBB based Board? Will they be at least archived? From the RP and Fleeting angle, this is sorta important.

---

And tell me. Am I a known member? After all, I am the Newbie Welcome Wagon (at least that's what Blades and almost everyone considers me).

I think that I am well-known, after all I insert my irrelevant humor into every hot topic I can find as well as inserting my 0pinions into everything...

Better yet I am getting BCM when it comes out, so does that mean I get a bonus for being a well-known customer?

Come on everybody, it's time to get organized and get our @$$es in gear and save up that hard earned cash for BCM and whatever hardware we currently need.

I myself saved up for about three paychecks and bought a 19 inch monitor, a 40 gig hard drive, 256mb of ram, a new MB, tower, PIII 1ghz processor...

Unfortunately I had to make sacrifices on less important priorities (food, shelter, etc.)...

Anyhoo, we will be playing soon...

quote:

I myself saved up for about three paychecks and bought a 19 inch monitor, a 40 gig hard drive, 256mb of ram, a new MB, tower, PIII 1ghz processor...

Unfortunately I had to make sacrifices on less important priorities (food, shelter, etc.)...

Sell a kidney. My brother suggested that to me when I was broke.

Anyhow this game will rock and I have got my a$$ in gear....2 month ago actually.

Not bad, SC! I'm trying to figure out if I'm "advanced" or "elite". Well, I did capture Gammulla...

Anyway, I don't think I qualify as "well known", so I'd better hope the mailman isn't as slow as I think he is.

EDIT: I wish I could spell better...

Not spell better, as in the word "better", but... Oh, forget it!

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

Same name huh?

Darn; I wanted to swap. I could be Rattler, Rattler could be Akira, Akira could be Tac, Tac could be Aramike, Aramike could be Menchise, Menchise could be Jaguar, and Jaguar could be me.

Registration would be good. The rest seems ok.

Cool reg. page.

BTW, Charles, if you were hoping to fool anyone that way, it'd never work. All you'd have to do is wait for the posting to start in a political thread and someone to throw a "grenade" topic like gun-control. Heehee.

What does someone under 15 years of age?

And I think there should be something between "newbie" and "advanced" in the bc experience box.

If someone have less than 8.0 dx? (hey, if this is for tech support, then that could be an issue...)

What about the MB? I see bios info, but no motherboard brand/model.

quote:

BTW, Charles, if you were hoping to fool anyone that way, it'd never work. All you'd have to do is wait for the posting to start in a political thread and someone to throw a "grenade" topic like gun-control. Heehee

Lol. I couldn't say it better myself.