Is anyone still using Active Worlds?

Menchise

I reinstalled the Active Worlds browser a few weeks ago. Before then, the last time I had used it was over two and a half years ago.

On all of my recent visits, nearly every single world was empty (only Alpha World and AWGate were constantly populated).

I also visited the Commanders' Village on Mars for the first time (at least as long as I could remember), and several times after that, and it seems to be empty all the time (some of the structures are still incomplete). I also noticed a Commanders' Village newsletter that stopped running after just three issues in '98.

Is anyone still using Active Worlds?

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until I get back my network on, I won't go on AW... but I'm only a tourist.

I could try this weekend one morning. What world and adress? What time? (please specify GMT)

The reason that AW is so unused is that the graphics are extremely poor, no acceleration. I mean, i know it isn't about graphics, but walking in the alpha world is really yucky and sllllllooooowwwww....

quote:

The reason that AW is so unused is that the graphics are extremely poor, no acceleration. I mean, i know it isn't about graphics, but walking in the alpha world is really yucky and sllllllooooowwwww....

That's one of the reasons why I stopped using it two years ago, because my 56k modem took forever to load the surroundings. I decided to give it another go after I got cable. The speed is better now, although the graphics haven't changed since '98.

quote:

I could try this weekend one morning. What world and adress? What time? (please specify GMT)

The Commanders' Village is on Mars at 964N 907E. It's a big area, which includes AW residences for several commanders and an ISS training facility (although the sign has been removed).

There is also a Galcom world, but there's nothing in it except a small lobby and an office for the SC with a very flimsy security fence to 'block out' unauthorized personnel (sorry SC, but you need a fence that goes all the way up to the ceiling, we Insurgents are getting in without a hitch ). Galcom world has also been untouched for a couple of years now (the BC3020AD banner is still there).

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

I got bored with Active Worlds really fast after going there a few times and no one was there.

I built a facility and finished it, but man, What was I supposed to do after that? The fun was in the building, now all I could do was sit in it.. BORING, and without other commanders there to talk to, why bother? If others started using it again, I might go there, just as if other people would use MIRC more, I would go there more as well.

So, if more commanders would say we'll be there, I'd be there too.

quote:

The Commanders' Village is on Mars at 964N 907E. It's a big area, which includes AW residences for several commanders and an ISS training facility (although the sign has been removed).

I'll be there frequently this weekend, including today from 1345 to 1700

I was known as Aule, man just writting that name brings back memories, and The Wanderer. My life in AW was long before I knew of BC. In fact, it was the billboard in AWGate GZ that first introduced me to BC and I waited and waited for further news but never heard anything until I stumbled upon this site in Jan 2000. I was an AW'er from Nov 96 and was a world owner.

I left AW for many reasons but the main one was because of what AW had become rather than it's lack of tech advancement (which appears to be dead in the water).

PS

I do not go back, not for any reason.

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

I've been there almost all day long... Tomorrow I'll be back. $ilk and me are to meet at 13:00 gmt-5 sunday, but I'll probably be there before and after.

After a long visit, the commander's village IS BIG! I finally found ( ) the ISS training facility.

Rattler, could you make a door so I could enter your gallery?

DeSylva, you look weird

Who is that Den Dee? I know he is the creator of the commanders's village, but no more.

I'm experimenting construction near the entrance, but since I'm a tourist, anyone can play with my legos

Anyone interested in a BC-wide "meeting"? Please tell here if yes.

[ 06-09-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

I was just there a few minutes ago. I'm assuming that you made the glass dome.

I made a worldwide call to all BC commanders, but no one was around. I visited the Hall of Fame and Rattler's Den. Nice buildings, although the residences suffer from the same problems as every other AW building with non-transparent walls: The interior is too dark. Aren't there any light bulb objects in Active Worlds?

I can't believe that my building is still there, the picture is gone on the signs of course, but the building still stands.. ahh, test of the ages!! lol

If more commanders come on and tell me that they are going to use Active worlds, I will reinstate my membership, but $20.00 is a little steep if I can't talk to anybody.

So say it, and say it loud, or else just forget about it!!

Or you could just be a tourist for free. And I will be there at 1300 Epsilon 5. I just got home from work so I will get some shut eye.

quote:

Who is that Den Dee? I know he is the creator of the commanders's village, but no more.

Den was indeed the founder of the Commander's Village. Heck, I remember running into him back the village was just a few homesteads. That was back when Londono aka Tac and I first met and he gave me the grand tour of his SDF building. Den was there as well...man, he could build! It was also the time that Rattler was working on his den and I started construction of the Library. Den is currently involved with the Insurgency, however, I haven't heard anything from him in awhile!

Where you at, Den???

ATTENTION TO ALL COMMANDERS!

$iLk and I are currently undergoing the construction of a building. Since we are tourist (unregistered), anyone can play with our stuff.

Please do not play with our building. If you want to give help, please advise us before. We don't really have a plan, but we don't want anything anywhere.

Also, if any of you is registered, PLEASE do not touch anything, because nobody can edit stuff from registered users.

But feel free to visit It's behind you when you arrive from the address given above.

Hey EP5, sorry I had to go earlier, I had to go to work and you were eating supper. I will see you on there sometime tommorow hopefully. And guys, check out the village, it looks cool, and take a gander at our "shrine" to Battlecruiser Millenium hehe

Ummm I just checked out the place myself... um Epsilon 5 I thought this was going to be just a "small" office Looks like the tower of Babylon. Great job on it man, I checked it out and made a couple of small cosmetic changes, (added EBgames.com pic under the ORDER NOW sign) Looks great, I will probably be online sometime tommorow, but if not I will talk to you later this week

I reserved a spot just aside for Orion fleet offices. I might take a spot for my "personnal" use

Yeah, $iLk, I found how to copy an entire floor in matter of seconds. And I was on a much stronger computer.

I'll have to put a "TO RENT" sign in front

www.activeworlds.com - download the best version for you (hardware accelerated or not... my older computer can't take the hardware accel. version...)

You 'play' as a tourist unless you regiter.

To go to the commander's village, go in the program (duh), select teleport/to... in the top menu, and enter in the box 'mars' as the world, and '964N 907E' as the coordinates.

When you are arrived, you can go back in the teleport menu and select 'make this my home', to go back there when you log in.

As I said earlier, you turn around and there is our BCM temple (or office complex...)

If you are on a 56k, the first loading of the region will take about 1-2 mins at max, and unless you have a good computer, you will rarely hit more than 10fps in front of nbig

buildings.

I'll be there for sure today from 4pm to probably 11pm, with stops for supper and for my mother that wants to go on the internet All times in gmt-5

If you need to know more, you just have to ask me.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Ah, c'mon, what is everyone doing? I mean, it would be interesting to have people at our BCM temple. Please take time to rest at $iLk's bar.

We need advice from people to how to improve our structures. We don't want to build this for nothing.

Ah, people, why aren't you coming?

So far I've seen myself, $iLk, Jaguar and Menchise in our village. Oh, Gman too. I'd like to see at least 10 people regularily coming. Oh, and Papi showed up too.

One thing: when you appear, unless you are in the communication range and say something, we don't konw who you are as a tourist.

[ 06-12-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

I see you all talking about the complex on Mars, has no one yet discovered the world GALCOM? If not, go to your worlds menu in activeworlds, and find it over there, it's pretty wild and if you can figure out how to get into the other room, the VIEW is killer. Was put together in 98 and haven't seen any real changes for a while, but somebody has been a little too busy with other things to worry about activeworlds!! lol