Is anyone still using Active Worlds?

Menchise

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Silk, I've seen my "heaven" from the tower.. I didn't realised what you meant friday... but now I've seen it. It's cool.

Many people are wondering why is Active worlds slow. It's not about bandwidth, it's about the cpu requirements.

You see, AW does not have a good graphic engine, so unless you have a good cpu and good video card, you'll stay seeing 30 meters ahead, and having 2-4 fps in the village, like me (have a 400mhz with bad video card). Bandwidth is only about loading the world... and if you go often at the same spot, everything is in the cache.

I'm working on some ideas for the directory. My observation tower is there just to block space for my NEW MEGA CAPITALIST HQ!!!!

Anyway there will be a space in there for it, whenever I get time to build - probably thursday since I don't have any classes.

I wrote it in front of the GNN building, but I forgot what it was. I am on Windows 2000 and it isn't really friendly to AW so I can't tell you exactly what I decided to call it.

New Village Update

---------------------

This is going to be a long one.

By the way, I write these updates so that people who don't use the Active Worlds browser (at least not very often) can be informed about what they're missing. Come visit sometime.

1. Rec Park Officially Open

$iLk's new city block has been officially opened as the New Village Rec Park.

In this new wonder of Active Worlds, visitors will see the return of $iLk's Bar as well as new additions to the New Village. The new structures include the return of $iLk Enterprises in its own Burnsian tower (under construction), a new dance club called the C.O.F. (Club of Fire), and the Mars station of the Galcom News Network.

Of course, a park is more than just buildings, so expect to see lots of trees, some grass, and an artificial lake nearby.

2. New Village Directory at New Location

The New Commanders Village Directory has a new home on the west wall of my new office, right next to the new artificial lake.

New visitors to the New Village can find the Directory at (956N 904.3E facing E).

3. Under Construction and Coming Soon

Orion Fleet's Mars Outpost, by Epsilon 5. It's going to be HUGE!

4. Trivia Question of the Week

How many times did I write the word 'new' in this update (not including the last one)?

Have fun!

NEW!!!

Den Dee showed up when I was there, and he granted me the "keeper right"

I adjusted some spots in the village and will clean other stuff later... but for now...

Menchise, I can offer you THE perfect spot in the village. Just ask me

If anyone want me to clean or modify some of the roads, just ask me.

Damn Ep5, that was some bonus... Now we can go about different stuff and possible fixing some of the old broken links... Well, I will stop by sometime this week and help you out.

Ep5, if you have time, I would like a sign somewhere in the central square that 'points' to the Directory's location.

Preferably, it could be a sign3.rwx object with the full name (New Commanders Village Directory) and the coordinates (956N 904.3E facing E). No rush.

!! NEW !!! (not again! )

I've put a news computer in front of the cmdr. village arrival pad that links to the newly written "Commander's village News Network" (CVNN) You can't miss it. I will try to update it as often as needed, and I'M accepting any request by email or on this board (to add some data) I "may" accept ads about some areas in the village or personal webpage... if ever some people ask for it.

And I'll need a background pic, and i know *exactly* what I want, but I'll do my request when I'll have the details done later (or I'll flip through all the screenies to find the perfect one )

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Ok, I would like to have this pic flipped horizontally (so it's heading to the right) and then have everything around the BC removed (not the contrails) with a near empty space (only stars, nothing fancy) background, "artificial" or from a BC screenie bg. I want it in 1024x768, the BC don't need to be resized.

Thanks in advance

[EDIT : I want no text at the bottom plz]

[ 09-15-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Well I had kind of smoothed out the contrails and made them "not as bright" and smoother

As far as the BG, I thought so too, but I didn't want to get something too complex, but I will see what I can do to alter that picture and if not I will find a higher res background.

Ep5, when's the next issue of the CVNN?

BTW, here is an announcement.

Over the past few days, I've been building a new Insurgent base in AW. It's not a secret base, so there's no need to request coordinates. Unfortunately, it's far from complete, so I won't announce it's location at this time, but I can tell you that it's gonna rock. It's nowhere near as big as the Orion outpost, but the security is very tight, including an animated aerial patrol around the entry hub, and some HUGE turrets mounted on the main building.

Lemmings should steer clear.

EP5, I really like the concept of the CVNN, if you wish - you may use the office space of GNN Mars Division as you would like.

In case you want to add anything.

Also, I am considering of removing my huge observation tower and replacing it with two world trade center towers... or an even HUGER MONUMENT TO MY CAPITALIST EMPIRE!!!1 mwahaha!