The state of the forum community

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short and to the point.

Myself and Derek have been in discussions this afternoon regarding certain elements on this whole affair. The end result is that we both know where we stand on several issues, and have acknowledged the mutual respect we have for eachothers positions, standing in the community and achievements. It was made very clear to me that my resignation was neither wanted, nor accepted. To this end, I would like to announce that I have withdrawn my resignation as Orion Fleet Commander and will resume my normal duties shortly.

This doesnt mean that everything is back to normal - far from it, but it does mean that during this transitional time, things are now a lot friendlier than they were and a resolution that will benefit everyone concerned is much more likely.

That is all.

I'd like to throw my support behind all parties involved in this affair.

Blades has been a long-standing pillar in this community. His role-playing projects, such as Preemptive Strike and Into the Fire, have redefined the way we, as players interact with each other. They have also made substantial contributions to the background of this game's universe - a background that, while it is unofficial, has become a part of the game for many, many players out there. He has redefined the way the Fleets work, giving Orion Fleet teeth to match it's bark and making it the most succesful and dynamic fleet in the game.

I'd like to congratulate the SC and Blades on working out their differences and I look forward to working with Blades extensively as we begin moving the focus of the fan community from this official site, to our new BC fan hub site.

I'd also like to support Epsilon 5's return to the forum, and look forward to his apology, which he will no doubt post shortly...*nudge nudge*

-GD

Wow. I stay clear of the boards for a few days, and missed all the excitement.

Firstly, I must say that my heart was in my throat as I was reading of the demise of the 3000ad boards. While I am relieved to learn that it will survive until the new year, I'm glad to know that contingency plans are being put into place to ensure the survival of the community.

That said, I'd like to say, for the public record, that I support Derek in whatever choice he makes. SC, you've always stated that you create these wonderous games because you enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, then something isn't right. I don't know you personally, so I'm not going to try to glean insight into your private life from your posts on the board. If you're not enjoying this, take a break, and figure out if a change is in order. If it is, MAKE IT. We are just a community of gamers who like you and what you've created. We are not important compared to your well-being.

Finally, to the members of the Battlecruiser community: For a long time, we've held together. We've survived public scorn, and private battles. We've come through thick and thin, and it has made us a stronger, tighter group. The SC has always been an integral part of this group, and he always will be. If he decides that he doesn't want parties at his place because he is tired of stepping over bodies the next morning, that does not mean this community will fall apart. We can have the parties somewhere else. And I'm sure the SC will still attend. Maybe not quite as often, but then, he's got universes to build, and he's having way too much fun doing it.

I offer my help in creating a new home for the battlecruiser community. I'm a web programmer, and have HTML/Flash/JavaScript/ASP/PHP/XML/Perl/Java experience. Contact me at [email protected]

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

If he decides that he doesn't want parties at his place because he is tired of stepping over bodies the next morning, that does not mean this community will fall apart.

You know whats funny, I had a conversation with the missus of the house last night, about what you said above. I think thats probably what it is. I'm just stressed out, burned out (a severe understatement) and having to deal with dev, real life (what life?) *and* worry about a group of people (this forum community) on a daily basis, is whats coming down I guess.

As you said, I like everybody here (oldies and n00bs) and its just disturbing to me when I have to make decisions which aren't very popular, misunderstood or which come out as being downright mean.

And as I said in my first post, thats the price of leadership. But right now, all I want to lead, apart from my dev+beta teams (some of the best friends I could ever hope for) is a Cheese sandwich. One would think that an attitude adjustment would be in order. But fat lot of good that'd do if I'm constantly under stress.

Then again, it could be some kind of IT equivalent of post partum as someone pointed out via email.

I'm getting my primary car back today (today being the first day of my unofficial vacation!) and I'm going on the road. I'm just going to get on i95 and drive as far North and as fast as I can. Get off an exit somewhere, have lunch or something and head back home.

...now I gotta go dig up my radar detector.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Right on SC!!! Hit that open road and relax and enjoy yourself!!

I am glad that you have made the decision you have, I believe it is the right one.

Now have a little fun, and we will take care of the piddly stuff, we know how you want it, and we will make sure it stays the way you want it.

THANKS SC!!!

Oh, and SC, leave the laptop at home!!!

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

But right now, all I want to lead, apart from my dev+beta teams (some of the best friends I could ever hope for) is a Cheese sandwich.

LOL, that's one lucky Cheese sandwich!

Believing that I lie somewhere on that range of friendship, might I remind you (as Badgerius an doubtless others have) that as vital and important as this community has become to me, it's no where near as important to me as the well being of the people behind the handles.

Derek, you're a good man but you have to remember to take care of yourself. Leave us alone for a while and go play! We'll be here when you get back and we promise to not burn the place down.

Hmmm, this is too bad.

What good is a forum anyway if people are afraid to post on it. Its most likely better this way anyway. To much stress for SC.

SC maybe its time to put some trust into your moderators and let them handle it. Instead of closing the forums. Put some trust into them and they might just surprise you.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Malkuth ]

If he doesn't bring the laptop, he'd probably buy one somewhere, rather than going all the back home to get it. Either that, or he'd walk out to his car, suffer from withdrawl, run back in and get his laptop, cell phone, and palm pilot!

Well, whatever you do, enjoy yourself, and don't worry about us, the site will still be together when you get back!

Well, it seems everyone has said their piece, 'cept me.

I have only been here a little over a year, but oh what a year it has been. One of the best in my lifetime.

There is really only one thing I can add to what has already been said...

Merry Christmas and God Bless Us Every One.

I'm back!!

Man, that was fun. I drove 2 hrs from home and didn't get a single ticket either way.

Of COURSE I had the laptop on the passenger seat - complete with my Motorola phone and wireless adapter for the laptop modem. But I swear I never opened it....except when I was testing the modem+cell phone connection at the first stop I made for gas.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Of COURSE I had the laptop on the passenger seat - complete with my Motorola phone and wireless adapter for the laptop modem. But I swear I never opened it....except when I was testing the modem+cell phone connection at the first stop I made for gas.

Ok SC. I think its time you severed your connection to the collective for a bit

LOL!! So, he's survived 2 hours.... How long do you think he'll last while on vacation?

Hehe....

(RP)

*shoves SC in car*

"Now drive! No; just drive! Go to Disneyworld for all I care. And I said no! Nooooooooooo laptop for you! And I know you're not going to go buy one on the road, right? And if I see you on the forums before vacation's done, I'll beat the living s$*% out of you; unless it's an emergency! Yes, we really would all jump you if you did....."

*SC drives off*

"And have a Happy Holiday!"

"So... He's gone. What do we do now?"

"I have no frickin' clue."

(/RP)

Thinking of going anywhere special, SC?

You can trust us here.... It's not like we're going to break anything...

Nova, over and out.

I am glad you had a good drive Derek, I too drive when I am stressed out, problem is, I don't do it enough anymore since getting married. You reminded me of this today, Thank You.

I too miss my machine when we go away, even for a few days. I keep wanting a laptop, but she tells me if I get one, and bring it, and I Quote, "Look forward to a single life again."

I just spent a week at DisneyWorld. They have these AT&T Internet phones with touch-sensitive screens at designated spots across the whole complex. The phones take paper money and credit cards. You can browse the internet on them. Oh, but they're AT&T, so that means that the SC will boycott them.

But, there is the Business Center at the Contemporary Hotel. My wife insisted that we go there so she could check her email and take care of some business. I think they charged something like $10 for 20 minutes on the computer.

Guest dnoyeB!

I read the forums more than I play the game. At least I do at this point till I get a break in life.

Its fun for me and on my daily surf path.

I got BC3K about 5 months ago from yahoo for $15 and played and enjoyed it. Then of course BCM at release.

Personally I have not one single piece of in any way illegal software on any of my computers.

Well a friend did point out I am using 1 copy of win2K...

keep up the good work.

Yes you have a short fuse SC, but its rare gamers even know the name of the person who coded/ produced the games they play, so its fine with me.