The state of the forum community

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by GREG MILLER:

SC, Epsilon5 has posted his apology
here
, in "General Discussions".

Epsilon5, then next time you post a follow-up, please put it in the relative thread, thanks.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: GREG MILLER ]

Ah. It just figures its be under a crpytic subject. I hardly read the stuff in that forum and a one entitled "Here it is" was certainly not on my radar.

So, I've changed it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a need to clarify.

Paddy,

I have some vision left. But not much and its very hard to see. I have a cane that I use to travel with. I teach my clasess both with and without vision. I was taught to teach without any vision at all....so often this is how I teach my classes blindfolded. Many of my friends are also totally blind and still do this job...suffering the same situations as I do.

As far as reading the forums...hehe...imagin my face propped up pretty close to the monitor. Also there are speech readers that will allow you to read whats on the screen. My friends and I play games like this because of the strategy. Since I'm still able to see whats going on on screen we can talk and make decisions based on that. It is hard reading the manual at times because the print is small, and there isn't much contrast. Its hard to read the map period...the one that came with the keycard. I can't read that without some sort of magnifier.

But yes I am blind. Most people who are blind have a little bit of residual vision left over.

Heheh...but I tell you what we're all going to be playing BCM...hehehehe.

Hey SC, to add my 2 cents...

I think it is clear the forum has been a source of stress. Since you want to lead, then LEAD by turning the whole thing over to your moderators and wash your hands of it. Just read the fun stuff you want to read, and skip over the bad knowing that your mods will handle it.

Whenever they get too soft, just tell them to be more aggressive, but don't do things for them unless it's really necessary.

This way, the only people you have to get really hands on with at all are your moderators and the tech forums. The way you are doing it now, you're feeling personally responsible for every problem and personal attack on the board. You shouldn't have to deal with it. Let it go, let your people handle it. Read what you want to read, respond to the good FUN stuff, and let your people handle the problems. It's not their life's work that's being attacked with words, so they won't feel nearly the stress you do in dealing with it.

If the president had to deal with every single person who said something nasty about him or his job, he'd go crazy, even if it's only 10% of the country who doesn't like him. So what does he do? He puts in staff between himself and the people. This way he goes to the engagements he wants to or needs to, but leaves the day to day affairs to others. Do the same with this board. You do actually have the right to pass off the small crap to other people. The benefits of leadership.

I think that from a business standpoint your game NEEDS a community center like this. Im not sure the potential customers will understand why it should be shut down. So it would be a good idea to do what it takes so you can enjoy it and not hate it.

Well, good or bad, that's my suggestion.

"And so it was that there was peace in the land once again. And the Gammulans broke bread with the Terrans and the ...."

....Naaa! I like the first part but that second sentence won't make any sense.

OK! This was very interesting. I am glad it's all settled, like alot of other folks who have been reading all of this, I'm sure. I think there are lessons here for everyone.

That's all I'm going to say.

Happy Holidays!

More like:

"And so the Gammulans broke the arms of the terrans, and the Terrans did then reciprocate using nuclear weapons, and as Gammulans settled down in their kerchiefs and caps for a long nuclear winter nap, there once again was peace."

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

More like:

"And so the Gammulans broke the arms of the terrans, and the Terrans did then reciprocate using nuclear weapons, and as Gammulans settled down in their kerchiefs and caps for a long nuclear winter nap, there once again was peace."

LMAO!!! Shouldn't there be a RANDOM in there somewhere?

I just now cought up on the gist of what has been happening in the last, er, several weeks?!?

** shakes head ** a bit dazed... What a read! Had a RANDOM headed up the skirt and didn't even know it. Imagin my surprise if SC hadn't self-destructed that RANDOM and I attempted a post, only...couldn't. I would have been so confused I probably would have formated my hard drive and reloaded everything just positive that Microsoft O/S had FUBARed again.

From another thread SC:

quote:

AGAIN?!?! Where the hell do you find the time? I'm soooooo jealous!

I suppose you're not allowed to bring your laptop into the bedroom then?

Absolutely NOT! 'Puters stay just outside the bedroom door. While they can be warm they are a bit lumpy to sleep with!

I find time 'cause I'm not trying to re-write the universe in 5 days. Take a break SC--more then just a 2 hr. road trip! Sheesh.... You live only once so spend a little time w/ your daughter and missus. I know, I know, work is piling up while your out... Just put an auto-reply on your email that says "Out to Lunch" and let everyone guess as to what you really mean!

I take a look at all the differences in personalities, backgrounds, cultural variences, English skills, people skills, writing ability, communication abilities, and more when no 2 people are alike it's a wonder the board runs as smooth as it does!!!

SC, I have a lot of respect for you, and for multiple reasons. One of which is your ability and willingness to forgive, forget, and/or appoligize when mistakes are made. Sometimes even publicly when the incident occured privately. Many "leaders" are to insecure and are afraid their fan base will vanish if they show this "weakness".

I'm glad things have been reconsidered and are being worked out and the board is still breathing. I don't frequent, even infrequently, any other boards simply because I don't care for the trash on them. I like the standard established on this board and the character of the leaders (SC and the other leading members). If it means knocking a few heads now and then, so be it. If it means shoving someone out a 1-way airlock, so be it. Hamblin, IMO, got what he asked for.

quote:

...it could be some kind of IT equivalent of post partum as someone pointed out via email

Yup, that was my thought as I started reading though this fiasco. I've seen it. LOTS!! 5 Babies and 7 pregnancies.... Seems like the harder one works on some deadline the bigger the drop and bounce when the moment is passed.

There, that's my dollar's worth. Inflation...get you every time.