Let's All Make Fun of Derek Smart Before I Get Banned

Guest Mannequin

I've deleted all the ones that I can, gonna have to wait for a supermoderator like Pugwash or Steve to take care of the rest and ban his ass.

I am going to write a PM to the SC and see if there is any legal action we can take against this jackass for harassment....

Thanks dude...You cleaned up the worst of it.I understand now (a little better at least) why the the SC can be,lets just say agitated at people.I mean I was right in the middle of posting about a MP issue when this crap started to go down.(In fact you probably deleated some of my more colorful comments-NP)

OK, everyone listen up, consider this thread locked.

Anybody bump this thread into the preview pane again, and you'll be out the airlock without a suit.

Thanks, and yes, this guy has cost me about an hour or so tonight that I could have been doing other things with, so I am NOT a happy camper, and the SC is gonna be ballistic.

I hope the guy has a good lawyer, because he just may need one....

OK, at the risk of being tossed out a airlock I would simply like to say 'compliments to Jaguar' for cleaning up a very nasty mess. Dude!!

Info: I've restricted this user at the Control Panel (i.e. banned him), deleted all (14 or so) remaining posts I've found except this one (from General Fleet Discussions) which I moved here to preserve it for further examination, and for Derek to see...

And yes, I am pissed!

Thanks, Jaguar, for your hard work of deleting everything you could!

TTFN

P.S.: Jag, PM...

Thanks guys, I just woke up to this farce. This is why I had closed the site to outsiders the other day and it looks like I'm going to have to do that again.

I have also now made Jaguar and Chavik admins. The more people who have access to the site's CP, the better.

This crap all started over that eToychest debacle, which is why my attorney asked me to remove the thread. After they contact those bastards, they ended up changing their review comment as requested. When I asked them nicely, he turned up his nose. As soon as they got contacted by attorneys, they started scampering around like leetle beeches to fix it.

Here is the revised review with my objection corrected

Here is the thread (with the usual infantile rubbish). Notice the Usual Suspects (Bill Huffman, Shirley aka W3a7herman)

Lowtax actually did that piece as his usual parody. I also objected about how he had written a part where he claimed that I was arrested for bank fraud. Again he had to reword it in order to make it more ridiculous and less believable or he would have been sued. In fact, we contacted their ISP and they were ready to take the site offline until their attorneys took a careful look at it.

Here are two of the emails between Rich "Lowtax" and I.

quote:

To: "Derek Smart"

Subject: Re: UC parody review on SA

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:19:44 -0600

Organization: Something Awful

Dear Doctor Smart,

As per your request, I have changed the offending remark.

"When he was convicted of bank fraud in 1994"

has been altered to:

"When he was convicted of bank fraud and raping an entire petting zoo in 1994"

I hope this is satisfactory.

===

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:08:00 -0600

As for the eToyChest thing, I have no idea who those guys are or what they do. I went to their site and looked around and it seems as if nobody reads it, since there were no forum posts or news item comments except your wacky ramblings. Unlike you, I really abhor Internet drama and stay away from it because there's no point to get worked up over something as stupid as the Internet. Anger just saps creativity and prevents you from doing things you actually enjoy doing. I guess in your case you enjoy flaming people on the Internet and arguing a lot, so I guess its a self perpetuating cycle.

===

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 19:31:13 -0600

"And speaking of which, look whose talking. You saw the eToyChest thing and

you took all the time to do a parody (which I thought was quite funny

actually - apart from the issue I questioned) of it."

But there's a big difference here. Making a parody and poking fun of something is positive energy; you're making people laugh. Engaging in a neverending series of arguments with folks on the Internet is negative energy; nothing is benefitting from the exchange. You seem to be always immersed in this negative energy, surrounding yourself and corresponding with folks who do nothing but argue with you. Of course there are the sycophants on your forums who proclaim you to be the second coming of Christ and are so deluded that they actually attempt to play your games, but those three people don't count.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I don't understand why you constantly surround yourself with the negative crowds and dwell / respond to all of it. If I had a dime for every person on the Internet who hated me, I'd be the next Bill Gates. But I don't give a shit and if somebody is spreading lies or rumors about me on another forum, I refuse to register it. It's just not worth my time or energy. I'm not sure why you have decided, in your case, it is.

- Rich

And here is one of nine emails I received by people who took it too seriously - which is why I got the attorneys involved. I don't think these people get it. I'm not standing for this shit any longer.

quote:

Clint,

uhm, its a parody, not a review. No, there's nothing that I can do

about it since it is protected by free speech - but my attorneys are

looking into it due to some of the similar emails I've just woken up to.

I'm not sure if everything in there is protected by free speech, but I

know Rich and he's just a whacked out individual who means no harm

(at least I don't think he does). Nothing I can do about that, but my

attorneys are looking into it. We have a contact at the EFF who I expect

to hear from soon since they are more versed in issues like this and I

don't want to step on any toes. My website is my domain. Outside of

that, its dangerous ground.

Please contact Rich, the author, at [email protected] and

levy your complaints. If you'd like, you can also send email to

our US attorney, Eric Rotbard at [email protected]. If you are not

in the US, we also have attorneys in Canada and in the UK.

If you want to see some of his better works, in which myself and

several other developers (e.g. Peter Molyneaux, George Broussard

etc) are lampooned. Here is a list. One of the funnier ones. And

my all time favourite.

I know that this new parody is in poor taste, but you know the Net,

thats how it works. The more noise you make, the more hits their

sites get, the happier their advertisers get. And for someone

like me, I couldn't walk across the street without generating

controversy simply because there are things that I can let slide,

and things that I can't - and I don't take prisoners.

Everyone says to ignore stuff (e.g. this whole eToyChest debacle when I've

now sorted out), turn the other cheek etc - but they're not at the

other end of the abuse. In fact, yesterday when I first saw this parody

posted on - where else - but my publishers forum, I contacted Lowtax about

a line I had objected to and which could be miscontrued as truth. He later

revised it to make it even more ridiculous - and I was OK with it.

So, just think of Lowtax as a complete and utter tit, and you won't

have anything to worry about. Trust me on this.

cheers

DS

ps: You're not the first person to mistake it for a real review. Get this,

a PR person at my publishers sent it to me *twice* and that gullible

person was quite convinced that it was in fact a real review. Go figure.

Subject: Game Review at Something Awful?

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:38:47 -0500

X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.612)

X-HR-Scan-Signature: b2f2f61f48e833e43a798163f2124ec4

X-Spam-Filtered: d326419afd31d64e37ddbcb04596936e

X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-5.4 required=4.0 tests=

X-Spam-Flag: NO

X-Spam-Level:

Mr. Smart,

I've been a lifelong fan of your software and I have to tell you that a recent review of one of your games has left me bewildered. I just read this review:
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2010
and I am speechless. Needless to say, if I find out that any of your software is being developed for pedophiles I will never buy another software title of yours again. This is not something to be trifled with!

Clint Ecker

[ 03-05-2004, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gudihl:

Thanks, Jaguar, for your hard work of deleting everything you could!

TTFN

Thanks, yeah, it was tedious, not hard, but comes with the job.

I never have to really do much, these guys normally police themselves pretty well, so stuff doesn't get posted in the first place that has to be deleted.

I got 5 Cat messages last night, all from different people, they know what is and is not acceptable on the forum. Although this one was about as obvious as they come.

As soon as I got on and saw them, I just started deleting, I saw the Cat messages on my E-mail this morning...LOL

Anyway, at least I won't have to bump other threads to cover up others, now I can just delete the whole kit and kaboodle.

Thanks for the trust SC....

Guest Remo Williams

Thanks Jaguar!! I was only able to delete the one in Prime's forum here on the board last night.

Thanks again SC for changing my status its nice to know I'm one of your trusted few.