About Dreamcatcher Forums - Please Read

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I read it.

What can I say, there are people who wouldn't know a good game if it slapped them in the face.

I hope DC do something about the few people who are stirring it up.

Just serves to remind me, that for all the people who ***** about THIS forum being having strict posting rules.. it's actually a nice place to come and chat, compared to the flame war bollocks that are allowed on other sites.

If some people prefer that, good riddance to em.

I understand SC's feelings regarding the posts on the DC forum. I spend some time reading and posting there which I personally want back since it could have been more productively spent blowing my nose....

I do have one grip and that is:

"Rubbish. Who has time for that? The Jews nailed Christ to the cross and mattered not who he was. The ONLY people I am sympathetic towards are those who bought the game and realize that it lacks polish here and there. I DON'T CARE about John Doe who bought the game, hasn't take the time to actually play or learn how to play it, but finds it necessary to hop on a board and act rude. "

As a nice Jewish boy I resent that remark since it was the Romans who did it and that type of figure of speech has plagued us for a long time. I am 100% sure that SC meant nothing by it and was just frustrated with this dude he was responding to but I want to just give a reminder that it is a public forum and that people are sometimes sensitive to the language you use. In this case it was personal.

Anyway you can ban me if you want or call me a jerk, but I did feel I had to make that point. Otherwise let DC have it and I am still waiting for the address that I can send my additional $20 to.

Thanks,

-M

quote:

Originally posted by sckid1108:

As a nice Jewish boy I resent that remark since it was the Romans who did it and that type of figure of speech has plagued us for a long time. I am 100% sure that SC meant nothing by it and was just frustrated with this dude he was responding to but I want to just give a reminder that it is a public forum and that people are sometimes sensitive to the language you use. In this case it was personal.

Yes, you are right, it was the Romans (and I have edited my post as such). My mistake. But I'm no different in my mistake, that those who caused the Jews to be plagued by that figure of speech.

But I digress. Me? I'm just waiting to see who gets to crucify Mel.

quote:

Anyway you can ban me if you want or call me a jerk, but I did feel I had to make that point

Once you get to hang around here long enough, you'll learn that we don't ban people on a whim and for stuff like this. We ban people for being rude, obnoxious and generally intolerable - NONE of which you have done since coming here, eighteen posts ago. Damn n00bs.

After reading that thread, Takvah actually sounds reasonable.

That is a sure sign that that board is getting bad.

I haven't seen nor read that forum in over 3 weeks, I plan on keeping it that way unless you point me to it for something else.

I will only go there if requested, otherwise, it is on my, "do not go to" list.

Guest Fox__Trot

Sims in general are a cut above the rest.

AHHHH!!! I canÔÇÖt believe you said that! No!

Simulations are just more COMPLEX then other games!

______

So, when DC gave a page count for the UC manual, guess what was one of the items that got cut?

Why would DC have a maximum manual limit? that seems a bit odd to me ... anyone ever seen the Flacon 4.0 manual? yeah.. it was big... but it was printed I think I have another reason to dislike dc

_________

WHAT is it they expect from a game that says action space game? Should it have said action space game for idiots - brain required?

Ouch - No it probably should of said Simulation Space Game - since the average

________

given the version that was to ship in November. What that netted me was a mountain of attorney fees and no thanks from anyone by the BC fans in general.

I believe the comments here were "Give them hell" and such phrases donÔÇÖt that count as "Hey there doing something wrong here and it shouldnÔÇÖt be allowed to happen" which might not be a "thank you" but Eh...

______

Maybe Canadians have a different idea of what being RUDE is.

Could be... but remember if youÔÇÖre going to target Canadians target Quebec. I hear its full of French speaking people

______

Uh okay thatÔÇÖs it from me... except for one question Why do you continue to visit the dream catcher forums? It just seems like a pointless battle - anyone who really want to PLAY UC/BC will probably be coming here...

Oh well thatÔÇÖs it

-Fox__Trot

PS: Sims (Less then or equal to) Turn Based Strategy

2nd: Ultima Online is better then starwars galaxy - which is EQ with SW paint

I think what I most respect about the Battlecruiser Series is that it was never "dumbed-down" for the instant gratification crowd that seems to be so predominant these days.

Movies, video games, television. Its been painful to watch the thought requirement get amputated from these entertainment forms and replaced with graphical fluff.

My idea of a good time has always been a complex game with a huge manual. I'm a flight-simmer from way back and have always derived at least as much pleasure from digging through the appendixes as playing the sim.

What I found funny about the "lack-of-tutorials" rant is that when huge comprehesive flight sims are released, they are praised for their depth and authenticity, regardless of whether they are shipped with tutorials. When a BC title is released, on the other hand, the cries of outrage go up because it's so much more complicated than, say, Freelancer.

And thank God it is. Freelancer for me provided every bit of the fun and mental challenge of, say, toenail clipping.

Guest Shingen

Well I've grown completely tired of the DC forums. I tried to help where I could, explain things and offer guidance and try to express just what a BC game really is, but the DC forums have devolved into a usenet free-for-all.

I've been playing UC now for about 7 hours, and my only real gripe is that it doesn't have a Battlecruiser title! This is a BC game, and dammit it should've had a BC title!

Derek, you and I have had our issues, and bickered and griped about stupid, meaningless crap, and all the while I still played the game.

I was banned from this site for almost 2 years over stupid, meaningless crap ( and for some incomprehensible reason you let be come back ), but all the while I still played the game.

The true value of a BC game isn't in it's production quality, or it's state-of-the-art BS, but it's in the games ability to create the desire to play!

Not everyone gets it. Not everyone will. It's truely their loss, because since 1998 it's been my gain.

Hell, I remember when BC3K 1.0 came out, and it crashed every 10-15 minutes. I'd screw around with my config.sys and it would play a little longer. Sure it was frustrating! I wanted that game to work! But I'd tweak and defrag and reinstall over and over and over just so I could PLAY THE GAME.

2.07 was a vast improvement over 1.0, but it still required patience and resolve, and still I wanted to play.

2.09 was even better, and regardless of the save-game bug I'd still play the game even if I had to start all over again. The desire to play the game never changed.

There is only one game I can think of (Froniter: First Encounters )that had so much gameplay and it STILL wasn't even close to what 2.09 had, bugs and all.

BCM 1.0 was a disappointment. I'd be lying if I said anything else. It wasn't the lack of MP, it was the fact that the different races/castes weren't really fleshed out. I wanted Gammulan ACM missions and Valkerie missions and what not. I got over it. As of BCM 1.09.01, the game is the most stable, most played game on my hard-drive.

UC is the game that I wanted BC3K 1.0 to be, and now I have it. See, once I bought the game, installed it and fired it up, it stopped being your game and now it's mine. I shall retire BCM now, and play UC for my BC fix.

I guess what I'm saying has been said many times before. BC isn't a game it is a way of life. It's a MotherFin' passion. Even with all the glitches, bugs and whatnot, UC is STILL the BEST PC GAME ON THE MARKET IMHO.

Most games I've bought ever have been played, beaten and shelved. I've got a whole library full of games I've already played. Sometime I fired them up and replay them, but it still mostly always the same as before.

I can fire up a BC game and never have the same game twice. Sure, if I want to sit in a sector and twittle my thumbs, not much is going to happen. There's no guarantee though. I might just get my butt stomped too. Even with an upgraded ship and high ai levels I can still get my ass handed to me. BC is a game that adapts and changes over time. What other game can say that?

Anyway, I'm going to go back and play some more. I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for standing behind this game the way we all stood behind it. Thanks for giving us the game we always expected and will always want.

Never stop the franchise!

[ 02-15-2004, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Shingen ]

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

Well I've grown completely tired of the DC forums. I tried to help where I could, explain things and offer guidance and try to express just what a BC game really is, but the DC forums have devolved into a usenet free-for-all.

Indeed. Like I said, I really DO believe that DC is allowing it because they want to probably use it in court. Or something. I wish them luck if that does happen to be the case.

I don't mind people venting, offering opinions or whatever. After all, it is a game and it does have its flaws (bugs, lack of polish etc), but given the circumstances under which it was released, some of these people (those who own the game of course), don't FULLY grasp just close to a BC3K 1.0 disaster this game would have been, if it wasn't for me. Shingen, you were around, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Now, because the game is getting low scores - not surprisingly one from a publication (GameSpot) which has traditionally (check their reviews of all BC games, and you'll see), they think its carte blanche to start a renewed frenzy.

Eventually, rags (e.g. PCG/CGW/CGM etc) which are mainstream and can pair a game like this with a worthy reviewer, will have their reviews out.

Sure, the game is not going to score averages in the nineties (BCM peaked at 65% average, according to gamerankings.com, which doesn't seem to have all the review scores), but the game is what it is. And I knew all along that renaming it and trying to rebrand it, was just a bad idea. But, for my part, I went along with it primarily because the series (since BCM) had progressed beyond being about a Battlecruiser (the premise of the first two games)

quote:

I've been playing UC now for about 7 hours,

whoa!! You got that tax refund early then, I take it? I know that staring at the box this past week must've been torturous.

quote:

and my only real gripe is that it
doesn't
have a Battlecruiser title! This is a BC game, and dammit it should've had a BC title!

Yeah, I know. But never fear, there probably will be another Battlecruiser title within the next 2-3 years or so.

quote:

Derek, you and I have had our issues, and bickered and griped about stupid, meaningless crap, and all the while I still
played
the game.

Absolutely. And as I've always maintained, as long its about the game, commentary is welcomed.

quote:

I was banned from this site for almost 2 years over stupid, meaningless crap ( and for some incomprehensible reason you let be come back ), but all the while I still
played
the game.

Well, we all learn. I'm no longer the trigger happy Usenet (whoa, I haven't posted in almost, what, four years?!?!) man I used to be.

quote:

The true value of a BC game isn't in it's production quality, or it's state-of-the-art BS, but it's in the games ability to create the
desire
to play!

Funny you should put it that way, because thats basically the gist of it. As I've always said before, graphics ARE nice to have, but graphics without gameplay, or with problems, just gives a lifeless and/or lacking game. While X2 is a really good Elite clone, it has very nice graphics, but how many are actually playing it with everything turned on? Or can sit around for mindless hours etc etc. All games, graphics or not, end up being about one simple thing. Gameplay.

I try to balance gameplay with graphics wherever possible. Sure, our graphics engine has all the fancy effects (reflections, shadows, bump mapping etc), but they didn't get quite integrated (bumping is used on the oceans btw) due to lack of time and they were the last items on the dev list because they take a back seat to gameplay. In fact, look in UCCONFIG.INI and you'll see some of the settings, for example for shadows. Due to the immense scope of the game, turning that one with less than a P4 3Ghz and we're talking about frame rates in the single digits. The user will just toggle it off. So why bother? When the time spent doing that, could be spent fixing bugs, polishing up some features (as seen by the extensive list in the VCF), fixing bugs etc.

quote:

Hell, I remember when BC3K 1.0 came out, and it crashed every 10-15 minutes. I'd screw around with my config.sys and it would play a little longer. Sure it was frustrating! I wanted that game to work! But I'd tweak and defrag and reinstall over and over and over just so I could PLAY THE GAME.

heh, those were the days.

quote:

BCM 1.0 was a disappointment. I'd be lying if I said anything else. It wasn't the lack of MP, it was the fact that the different races/castes weren't really fleshed out. I wanted Gammulan ACM missions and Valkerie missions and what not. I got over it.

Yep. In fact, that was the whole reason why I even enabled the feature to play as any race/caste with any asset in the game. But like all things, the amount of work to do everything, is insurmountable and costs money. A lot of money and time.

quote:

UC is the game that I wanted BC3K 1.0 to be, and now I have it. See, once I bought the game, installed it and fired it up, it stopped being your game and now it's mine. I shall retire BCM now, and play UC for my BC fix.

whoa! considering you skipping a generation, them's fighting words.

quote:

Anyway, I'm going to go back and play some more. I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for standing behind this game the way we all stood behind it. Thanks for giving us the game we always expected and will always want.

Never stop the franchise!

You are welcome

Personally, I don't follow the DreamCrusher forums because I don't see any productive value in doing so.

It seems to me that the gaming industry has devolved into catering to the mindless amoebas who inhabit this planet.I have waited a very long time to find a game that actually requires firing a few neurons to play. The BC series filled that desire and it did so in spades.

thank you masked man

Tutorials??? If you need a tutorial to hold your hand when learning the ropes of a game, take it back to the store cuz you ain't smart enough.

The thrill of a new game is not in going through the tutorial to become an instant Ubermeister, it's in the trial and error of trying different things and see how and if they work. I love getting plastered after making a mistake.

So, let the detractors and the moreoffs howl all they want. It doesn't stop those of us who have developed brains from playing the games we love.

Moreoff:(noun) a Homo Sapien who has not passed the standard test to graduate to Moron.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

graphics ARE nice to have, but graphics without gameplay, or with problems, just gives a lifeless and/or lacking game. While X2 is a really good Elite clone, it has very nice graphics, but how many are actually playing it with everything turned on? Or can sit around for mindless hours etc etc. All games, graphics or not, end up being about one simple thing. Gameplay.

Yeah I've noticed the trend with gamers lately they think that what's displayed on the monitor/tv is the end all and be all of the games existance not taking into account that a game like UC or any comparable game does a massive amount of things behind the scenes like processing the AI, content etc... These things are not done magically but requires lots of cpu

power all while doing the graphics real time. There has to be trade a off somewhere. I don't see a solution to this until everyone has CPU speeds of 4-6ghz with 2-3gigs of system memory with a Video card of 1.5 GHZ VPU core speed and 1gig of 1ghz QDR video memory (Quad Data Rate) . Until then, it's just going to be the trade off. Damn, I wish I had that right now I tell ya!!

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz

Tutorials??? If you need a tutorial to hold your hand when learning the ropes of a game, take it back to the store cuz you ain't smart enough.

Whenever I see someone complaign about no tutorials, the learning curve is longer than ten minutes or the manual is too complex, I always think of what they are like. The one thing that always comes to mind is that Monty Python creation the Gumbys "Owwww, my brain hurts" and all I can do is laugh. One game that comes to mind that had a tutorial (actually three tutorials) in the game but you still needed to read the manual under the chapter tutorial to go thru it is Silent Hunter II. In other words, no in game help they basically just plunk you down into predefined scenario with no "hand holding" by a AI tutorial guy.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Whoa!! You got that tax refund early then, I take it? I know that staring at the box this past week must've been torturous.

Yeah, I have to file quarterly, so I keep on top of it. I got a Radeon and it works killer. The funny thing is, I haven't had one CTD since install. Not one. I've been in space, planets and done a few IA missions, and on my kit the game is rock solid.

It was hell staring at that box for a week though, but I knew that I had the game and would be raping Galcom assets soon enough

quote:

Yeah, I know. But never fear, there probably will be another Battlecruiser title within the next 2-3 years or so.

Most excellent! Good news indeed.

quote:

heh, those were the days.

Weren't they though? I learned more about DOS memory and windoze tweaking from trying to get that game stable. I was worth it, and I'd do it again if I had to.

quote:

Yep. In fact, that was the whole reason why I even enabled the feature to play as any race/caste with any asset in the game. But like all things, the amount of work to do everything, is insurmountable and costs money. A lot of money and time.

Well if we had GBS3 we could write our own damn ACM missions!

quote:

whoa! considering you skipping a generation, them's fighting words.

No, I meant that when I first got BC3K 1.0, there was this idea of what I wanted from the game. BCM had it, but UC brings it full circle.