When people get banned.....

Supreme Cmdr

The other day, I IP banned Wolf57. Since that time, he has been spamming the CAT email address with stupid emails which get sent to me for perusal.

He then asked to be let back in. He was told no, and that once you are banned, you remain banned.

He continued spamming the email address with rubbish.

Today, he took it one step further and sent this email (posted with complete headers) anon.

quote:

Return-Path:

Delivered-To: galcom-3000ad:[email protected]

X-Envelope-To: [email protected]

Received: (qmail 84882 invoked from network); 22 May 2004 06:50:21 -0000

Received: from web20604.mail.yahoo.com (216.136.226.162)

by qs292.pair.com with SMTP; 22 May 2004 06:50:21 -0000

Message-ID:

Received: from [24.209.106.139] by web20604.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Fri, 21 May 2004 23:50:21 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 23:50:21 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: THIS IS RUINING UC FOR ME!

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-1674443253-1085208621=:24869"

X-Spam-Filtered: d326419afd31d64e37ddbcb04596936e

X-Spam-Status: No, hits=-4.8 required=3.5 tests=BAYES_00,HTML_MESSAGE

X-Spam-Flag: NO

X-Spam-Level:

I have been banned for no good reason. It is making me mad because this is ruining my UC experience. My log in name is wolf57. Please give me another chance.

Sincerely, Hank

He was then told that he would NOT be allowed back on the forums. He then sent this.

quote:

Return-Path:

Received: (qmail 10865 invoked from network); 22 May 2004 16:12:08 -0000

Received: from web20604.mail.yahoo.com (216.136.226.162)

by qs292.pair.com with SMTP; 22 May 2004 16:12:08 -0000

Message-ID:

Received: from [24.209.106.139] by web20604.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sat, 22 May 2004 09:12:08 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:12:08 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Ok.

To: CAT

In-Reply-To:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-465236850-1085242328=:85834"

X-Spam-Level:

Ok, Its your site, do what you will. But I just want you to know me and my friends will not be purchasing anything from 3000ad for a good while. I know you wont care but I just thought you should know. I am trying to be mature about this and ask politely, if i was reaccpeted i would follow the rules as best as possible. You are losing a good costomer. I will ask you one more time but i know its hopeless, Ill I wanted was to share some of my UC experiences with some fellow fans of the game. But know this has been taken away from me, I am hurt by this. But again i know this is your site, i just wanted to say i would take it more seriously and follow your rules. I am greatly sorry for offending anyone. Please give me one more chance. It would make me very happy.

My sincere apology, Hank

|CAT
wrote:

|

|You will not be allowed back on the forums.

Now compare to one of the other emails he has been sending to CAT (using his own name/email) and you can quickly see that, when I see a trouble maker coming, I can usually tell. Hence the reason I stick to my First Strike doctrine. And don't give second chances. And as most of you oldies here know, he is not the first banned twit to pull a stunt like this.

quote:

Return-Path:

Received: (qmail 18344 invoked from network); 23 May 2004 19:50:37 -0000

Received: from web50101.mail.yahoo.com (206.190.38.29)

by qs292.pair.com with SMTP; 23 May 2004 19:50:37 -0000

Message-ID:

Received: from [24.209.106.139] by web50101.mail.yahoo.com via HTTP; Sun, 23 May 2004 12:50:37 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 12:50:37 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Derek is lame!!

Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0-65907424-1085341837=:90782"

X-Spam-Level:

We all love yoyu derek, by that i mean love your stupidness. You make us all laugh with your lame come-backs, you should be working as a janitor for 3000ad. And i have some stuff someone dug up on you that everyone would love to hear! Keep up your stupidness!

-Derek Smart

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For any noobs reading this thread

Now you know that Derek is as serious as a heart attack when it comes to the rules that you agree to abide by when you register here.

Plain and simple;

No Article 15

No Tribunal

No warning

Just a quick trip out the airlock Period!

This board is one of the few pleasures I have left to enjoy.

It's clear of low life trolls and numbskulls,which leaves the intelligent people to enjoy conversations about the Battlecruiser series and many other topics.

Derek provides this haven from the madness we face in the outside world as a courtesy, not a requirement.

I, and I'm certain, many other members of this board, stand behind Derek 100% on any decision to toss a troublemaker in the Airlock and punch the Open Outer Door button.

If you haven't read the SOP(Standard Operating Procedures) for this board, do it. Now.----------> SOP

Carry on.

Edit: In addition, Wolf 57s' comment about what Mr Smarts' occupational status with 3000AD should be:::ROTFLMAO Derek IS 3000AD. Wolf 57 apparently failed to realize this important fact, and now everyone who reads this will know.

"People with open minds learn something new every day and a day without learning is like a day without sunshine"

[ 05-24-2004, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Wolferz ]

• 2 weeks later...

I just woke up to this email from the President of Dreamcatcher. Apparently Wolf57 sent a lies-ladened complaint (see below) to them. It was forwarded to him and then on to me. The original email and my reply, appear below - only because I want to make it PAINFULLY CLEAR that complaining to Dreamcatcher - and lying to boot - about what I do on MY website, has as much effect as if you asked me to run outside wearing a tutu.

quote:

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wed 6/2/2004 10:18 PM

To: Richard Wah Kan

Cc:

Subject: Derek

Hi, I was banned from the 3000ad forums because Derek got mad at me. I did not care much because i could at least listen to what others had to say in the forums. Now today I tried to go to the site and i was banned completely, he wont email me back with techsupport isues, and now i cant get patches.

Please do something, I know he started that lawsuit which was stupid. I am a fan of all games you publish, and i do really like UC, but I think you need to talk to Derek about being nicer to his customers. Plus I bought the game from you guys. If he does not get his act together, I think you should not publish anymore 3000ad games. But thats just my opinion and others like me.

Sincerely, Hank

quote:

Richard,

He was banned from our forum violating our CoC.

This person was banned on 05-20-04 and thus began spamming our email addresses. He

then sent an email with a spoofed header. We then traced it to his ISP and matched

it against his forum postings and previous emails, concluding that it was him. Below

are the email headers, I'm sure you have someone in your IT dept (?) who can

do the same verification and compare the headers of the two emails below to the

one you just sent me. To obtain the headers for the original email which you are

fowarding to me, check the machine to which it was originally sent, prior to it

being forwarded to you and then to me.

Posting on my site is a **priviledge** not a right. I run it and what I say goes.

Nobody - including you - has to like it. And I don't care. They don't need to post

on my forum in order to obtain tech support. We have a tech support email address

and I frequently post in the
DC tech support forum for UC
(where Brian and co *have*

banned people for similar behavior). My forum is open for reading

and so, NOBODY has to post there. If they do want to post there, they HAVE to

abide by MY rules. There is no other way.

There are thousands of people posting on our web forum and since UC was released this

past February, only five people (yes, I just checked) have been banned from there.

As for patches. Thats nonsense. The patches are public domain and if he couldn't

get patches, how was he able to access the multiplayer servers? As lately as just

a few days ago, he was online
griefing other players
. NONE of those servers allow

unpatched versions of the game client from connecting. And the same behaviour he

exhibited on the forums (and which got him banned) is the same behaviour he exhibits

on the mp servers by griefing (I'm sure you know what that means) players - who are

on the same side as him. I have since scripted AI scrafts to launch from the nearest

station and obliterate his craft if he ever logs on with the same IP and fires on

a ship belonging to a client on the same side as him. I suspect that this has been

effective, as he hasn't been seen in the past few days.

cheers

DS

ps: btw, the reason he says "Now today I tried to go to the site and i was banned completely"

is because we got fedup and simply added his IP address to a master ban list on our site

domain. Here is the .htaccess file in which this was done. His IP address appears in Red.

He is most definitely on broadband, hence the reason he has the same IP across several

mediums (email, web forum posting, multiplayer servers). In order for someone to be IP

banned site wide, he has to have done something major. Below are those IPs which are in

the master list since 1998. He's is the latest to be added. The last one (before him)

was added back in Feb of 2000.

[ 06-03-2004, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by street:

All the headache, and what would one get? a computer?, or an UN-enforceable judgement?. No point, really. I think the proper solution has been implimented, but again...who am I?

Yep.

The more he stalks you SC, the more right you have to call you're attorney.

And it seems like that's what he WANTS you to do from the looking of his replys

My advice,(freely given ) is to totally ignore him, he will eventually loose intrest. As long as he gets ANY

response at all, he has achieved his goal. 1). attention. 2). YOUR attention. 3). his 5 seconds of fame.

Playing along, with legal threats, posting his responses and such, only serves to encourage; as the end result, merely serves to make him feel important.

There is NO real legal remedy worth the headache, unless you feel a threatening letter from an attorney(couple hundred dollars) would spook him into oblivion. He, most likely, cannot afford an attorney, and MOST likely does not even have one.

It comes down to: YOUR CALL, SC.

(this thread HAS been amusing though!! )

[ 06-04-2004, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: street ]

legal action is a waste of time in cases like this. in cases like this if he makes good on threats of stalking, just make some spare time and spend a day every week at the shooting range, if he steps on the property shoot him.

you already know his intentions.

un official advice from a police officer

• 2 weeks later...

This is from this twit. I have now added his email address to our domain mask ban list. This fool thinks that he can cause me aggravation, then go lying to my publisher in a [foolish and futile] attempt to get me in trouble (ok, that was funny, right?) - THEN - think I'm sorry is going to cut it. Yeah. Right.

quote:

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:40:10 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Fleet Action

Hello,

Is there anything i can do to make it up to you so i could play MP, I purchased the game really wanting to play it. If there is anything you need me too do just ask.

I am ready to clean my act up, I think i would make a valuable addition to the UC community. I just want to Appologise to anyone i have wronged.

I really need to play Fleet Action. All i want is to be able to play MP and download the patch.

I realize the stuff you have to put up with, so now i feel like a major *******, I appologize greatly. I say we just forget we ever had problems......

-Hank

Oh my god! He just doesn't get it does he? It is funny yes, but maybe you should ask him to be a man instead of a little boy and leave you alone. (But you have already done that).

quote:

Originally posted by Wolf57 (In another forum)

Who made this thread again>?????

Oh yeah I did, heheheehhe

No cussing on my thread please

And quit attacking my selft esteem and emotional well being......

THIS IS A GAME SITE. NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK BOARD...

NO ONE ASKED YOU TO POST ON THIS THREAD AND CALL ME NAMES...... AND IF YOU WANT TO TELL ME TO LEAVE YOU ALON, PLEASE DO IT OFF MY THREAD AND USE A BIT NICER LANGUAGE

Thanks

I think it's funny how he said you were swearing at him... Hah, you weren't. He seems to have the mentality of a little kid. Like the other guys said, the best thing to do is just to ignore him.

quote:

Posted by Brian Clair (On another forum)
Brian Clair

I'm closing this thread on account of stupidity.

I'm glad someone was smart enough to see stupidity for what it is on that forum. You have every right Derek to yell at him too.

His attempt at getting you on ICQ friend's list, and constant PMing you (Even though you put him on your ignore list), is definatly not right for a community like this... right?

quote:

I am ready to clean my act up, I think i would make a valuable addition to the UC community. I just want to Appologise to anyone i have wronged.

*cough cough* (nearly die's after reading that little portion)

Arghs... after the stunt he pulled.. yea.. right.. and I'm the queen of england (DON'T ANSWER THAT)

This is the reason I like this board

He won't be back here, ever, never, ever unless he really does something to impress DS. Hmmm what would impress DS in this case?

Its simple. I know that some of you [secretly] think I'm a hard nosed incomprehensible hard ass. Fine. I can live with that. You don't pay my damn bills.

The fact is, the oldies here (some going as far back as 1996!!! back when we had a different forum) had the same opinions. It changes over time.

I have worked hard and sacrificed a LOT to give you folks a stable, secure, a$$hole free, forum to make new friends, discuss your passions (games, tech, religion, politics etc) - none of which your money pays for. Its my time. My money. My investment. And like everything I have done for the owners of my game, I provide this forum as an after sales type incentive. I will never - ever - compromise it for ANYTHING. Ever.

Someone doesn't like how we do things around here? They can piss off and find somewhere else. Makes NO difference to me. Its not about them. Its about the greater good for the greater majority.

...and I have a 0% tolerance threshold for anti-social misfits. If people just READ the featured topics indicating how we do things around here and then slowly fall in line, there won't be ANY problems. Sure, I make mistakes sometimes or step out of line here and there in my postings, decision making etc; but I'm human and I don't give a toss either way.

Many years from now, most of you n00bs will still be here....and smacking n00bs into shape. Thats how the history of this place is. Just ask Kalshion (one of my early lets-pound-the n00b fav n00bs).

Yup, I'm one of those noobs that need pounding.

I've always known that we don't pay for it. If we did, it would be a monthly fee (those I can't support >.

Of course I could be wrong...