Posting And You...

BEFORE YOU POST WATCH AND LEARN

I know Derek wants to send one of these to every new subscriber..

Edit: Thread title changed from "Forum Service Announcement". New link available here. Thanks to Asso ( # 6535 ) for locating and posting a new link. Though he should have searched the General Discussions Category first, just as the video instructs. To keep posts #4 and #5 of this thread in context, I have retained the now dead link above. Watch, learn, and enjoy!

[ 09-27-2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Quazar ]

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Tac (or was it Quazar?):

Thanks to
(
) for locating and
a new link. Though he should have
the
Category first, just as the video instructs.

Hey I just found out that guide! Gimme some time to put all these things in my head! partially sorry!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yeah, I'd like read up on this thread too, because I'd like to add a question to the FAQ of the forum, like: Why do posts disappear for no apparent reason?

I noticed the draconian posting rules a while ago, so I refrained from posting. I have no problem abiding by the rules of the house, but at least I like to know the rules beforehand.

quote:

Yeah, I'd like read up on this thread too, because I'd like to add a question to the FAQ of the forum, like: Why do posts disappear for no apparent reason?

Posts don't simply disappear without reason. SOMEONE had to have deleted it for some purpose. PM me with what you posted and when, and I'll look into it.

quote:

I noticed the draconian posting rules a while ago, so I refrained from posting.

I wouldn't call them "draconian" as they are fairly simple. All any of us ask are essentially three VERY simple things:

1- Don't post questions that have been discussed ad nauseum on this very forum. Rather, use the search function. Believe me - it works. In fact, keeping the search function streamlined and easy to use is a large part of the reason we try to limit redundant topics.

2- Don't post anything inflammatory. Provacative debate is COMPLETELY WELCOME here, 100%, however. Just keep it clean.

3- Place your remarks in the proper forum. This seems self-explanatory.

The bottom line is that, just because we don't tolerate the usual BS here, doesn't mean that we're anywhere NEAR "draconian". Just think before you speak and do a little reading...

Besides - don't feel bad; my very FIRST post on this forum (nearly 7 YEARS ago) was deleted. It asked the question, "How do I orbit?"

I should've used the search function...

I can't remeber for sure, but if you were the author of a sig test topic for a new machine and profile, well, I deleted your topic.

We already have a topic for sig tests just in the same forum as you posted. Use that. Here is the reason why your post has been vanished.

If you're not the author of said topic, then, none of your concern then.

This is so funny, it's sad.

Never mind. I don't know what Derek's done to you moderators here, but you guys are taking your roles WAY too seriously.

I'm sorry I mentionned it.

I'll stick to the AVAULT... at least I can freely post and talk with Derek there... without risks of being censored.

You guys have fun moderating.

And I've been lurking for almost a year, what was I thinking??? Oh, lordy....

If you don't like how this board is clean of the useless rubbish that you can find on other boards, then please, just leave right now

It's BECAUSE the moderators actually do there JOB is why this board is so clean and devoid of the degenerate's that you find on other boards.

Guest Grayfox

ya well common sense should rule the day kal, but you have to remember that some people are used to the lawlessness on other forums and get a rude awakening when they try that crap here and get slapped down for it. and someone coming from an uncultured forum would think that the rules that are in place here would be "draconian"... god forbid there should be some semblance of order on an internet forum.

as for not being sure on the rules, all that he had to was PM an admin... thats it. ALL the admins are helpful, as is the SC. all it takes is one lil PM asking for help, and most of this rubbish (and thats EXACTLY what it is) could of been avoided.

quote:

If you don't like how this board is clean of the useless rubbish that you can find on other boards, then please, just leave right now

Amen... dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you. you can leave as voluntarily as you joined...

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

I have the answer to the burning question.....

"How do I orbit?"

Easy. Just step into that little cubicle marked

AIRLOCK
Then one of us pushes this little button marked
OPEN OUTER DOOR
Et joila'

But before that you need to take the clothes off, no need to waste perfectly good clothing.

LOL!! You guys are whacked. Seriously.

Stingray, the guys are pretty harmless. They're all bark with absolutely NO bite...only when fed raw meat of course.

Seriously though, we only delete threads/posts if they don't pass the criteria already discussed.

In fact, in the welcome post and in the tech support forum it clearly indicates why posts may be deleted.

The rules are pretty straightforward. The rule of thumb is that if you suspect that what you're about to post can and may be deleted, you're probably right. In which case, you have two options. (A) Don't post it (B) post it and don't cry foul when it gets deleted.

Our search works wonders. Thats because we don't allow extraneous posts and because one a week I rebuild the search cache. There is NOTHING on this forum that you can't find with a two minute search. And thats because of the rules we have here.

In saying that however, the lawless frontier (aka The politics & religion forum section) is in a class all by itself. Its a kind of no man's land and even I tend not to go in there. If any areas needs to have the majority of its posts deleted, its there. But guess what? They're all there and simply because - once again - we have specific rules and guidelines for posting heated material.

So, just go with the flow and have fun. EVERYONE is welcome here, as long you are willing to play by the rules.

I've about had enough of this crap. This guy comes here, barely posts ever, and then goes on a multi-post rant at first criticizing the rules and THEN the admins.

Let me share with you the PM discussion I've had with Stingray (I normally wouldn't do this but now I'm freakin' PISSED):

Stingray:

quote:

Well, since you asked what I posted, I posted a link to an awesome tech demo (compressed avi video clip) showing a space battle the way we've only seen it on the new Battlestar Galactica show (similar filming techniques were even used). It's most certainly worth posting and checking out.

http://sargoth.spymac.com/space_techdemo_HD.rar

Maybe I shouldn't have started my post with: "I don't know if this has been posted here before..."

Anyway, I'm just saying that this approach to post management is not very user-friendly. It's a bit like you go to a new restaurant and the first thing a manager would do is to piss on your foot.

Maybe it's a 3000AD tradition I'm not familiar with.

Aramike:

quote:

Actually its more like going to a restaurant and the manager pointing at a sign implying that you're not in dress code.

Our rules are the rules. They've served us well over the years, so we're sticking with them.

You didn't say what forum you posted your thread it, though...

Stingray:

quote:

The message was posted in the:

"Battlecruiser Online ┬╗ General Discussions ┬╗ PC Gaming & Technology" subforum, in the thread: "Our beloved Space Sim genre. Revival or waste of time?"

You know, with rules like that, why let people post at all? Just make it a read-only forum, but then it wouldn't be a forum, would it?

Let's just drop it. I don't want to make a fuss here. I'll just return back to lurking... it's worked for me for almost a year. I can live with that.

Aramike:

quote:

Rules like what? The ones that work?

Dude, you're not gonna come here, post 4 times and not even been an established member of the community and yet convince me that our rules don't work.

They do. Just not for you. That's not good enough, in my eyes, to change them.

This guy has posted a sum total of 6 times and at least HALF of his TOTAL POSTS are critical of this community, its rules, or its members.

Dude, talk about the game all you want. Visit our General forums and talk about almost whatever you want, all you want. But, for the LOVE OF GOD, STOP talking about how OUR rules don't suit YOU!

In case you haven't noticed, most of us were here first. We welcome ANYONE - just not those who somehow think that they're gonna jump in and the community is going to revolve around them.

No one here is taking their "job" too seriously. YOU, however, are taking your objection to OUR rules, WAY too seriously. Let it go, and welcome yourself in on OUR terms, or see yourself to the door.

[ 10-13-2006, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: aramike ]

LOL!

quote:

In saying that however, the lawless frontier (aka The politics & religion forum section) is in a class all by itself. Its a kind of no man's land and even I tend not to go in there.

Heh, yeah so long as it doesn't get outright vulgar and TOO personal, it's all good in that little world...

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

I have the answer to the burning question.....

"How do I orbit?"

Easy. Just step into that little cubicle marked

AIRLOCK
Then one of us pushes this little button marked
OPEN OUTER DOOR
Et joila'

That's the one thing this board is missing: An instant gramemlin that is an animation of a graemlin having the airlock closed on him and then being sucked into space, slowly fading off into the distance. (for an added effect, when it's in space maybe it can grow bigger then BOOM!)

Well, I can certainly see why his post was deleted. He posted with an incorrect subject and in the wrong thread.

There are tons of posts here about other space games. They each have a specific subject which identifies the product.

Adding that link to an unrelated thread is definitely grounds for its deletion because it added nothing to the threads discussion.

Thats like walking into a restaurant where they only allow dress pants. Then you saunter in with jeans and plonk yourself down at a table when the hostess wasn't looking. Of course, once she notices, you get tossed out by big burly men.