Shingen's IndieBC site

Supreme Cmdr

I had the site pulled after someone sent me this thread.

For some reason, Shingen seems to think that I have something against him. Funny thing is, I don't. He was banned from here - twice - for inappropriate behavior. To the extent that when I re-instated him the second time, the admins didn't want him back. So I upheld the decision.

Fact is, I don't mind people hosting BC sites, as long as they have my expressed written permission and that they are in the BC web ring.

Apart from that, in Shingen's case, considering the crap he posts about me and my games, it would only be a matter of time before his site turns into another full fledged DS-hate site. I'm not putting up with that any longer.

Guess I missed something, been very ill since last Thursday not seen anything in 3kchat mailings about Shingens forum / site since Remos objection to it and your reply that it was ok dated 30 October that's a month ago now.

Was something posted you objected to because the reasons given don't seem to ring true?

Looks like I'd better remove my site then as I don't have "expressed written permission" nor am I in the BC web ring

Guest Malmaison

I never saw anything wrong with that site, other that it didn't really have any content yet.

I don't think it was meant to be a "full fledged DS-hate site", or anything like that. Shingen stated the reasons for the site somewhere in his forums.

Guest Malmaison

Look, ban me if you want, but I think this is all stupid. What reason did you stop that site? Does anyone here know?

Well, in my opinion, everyone should.

I think it was all done in poor taste, without reason, and that site should be allowed.

Maybe it wasn't finished. There wasn't much but the forums, but I don't understand why you would kill the site, based simply on the few images it displayed. There were obviously several BC gamers here, that wanted that site, myself included.

Can you clarify your objections?

With all due respect Derek, I find this a bit disturbing. Of the umpteen real sites that actually do bash you and your game you chose to pull the plug on IndieBC because you thought it might become one?

Seriously, what more could be posted about you or your games that you haven't already heard a million times over? Was this really the straw that broke that camels back? I find that hard to believe.

I have purchased and supported your games since the original BC3K was released. I understand the way you like this forum to be run and why you do so, but the downside of your stance is that it stifles honest and open discussion. Discussion that could possibly lead to your games being even better than they are.

You deserve kudos for taking such an active role in supporting your product, but I can't tell you how many times I didn't post about an issue/bug or whatever because of the ruckus it would cause. So when my game crashes after a few hours of play and I lose all that time investment, I just walk away and hope that it somehow gets fixed. You know what? I'm still hoping.

In any event, I've a suspicion this decision was primarily motivated by personal vendetta and the fear that certain notable personalities here at 3000AD *might* get offended at some of the things they *might* read at IndieBC. And to that I say, "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen", sound familiar?

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

With all due respect Derek, I find this a bit disturbing. Of the umpteen
real sites that actually do bash you and your game
you chose to pull the plug on IndieBC because you thought it might become one?

Seriously, what more could be posted about you or your games that you haven't already heard a million times over? Was this really the straw that broke that camels back? I find that hard to believe.

I have purchased and supported your games since the original BC3K was released. I understand the way you like this forum to be run and why you do so, but the downside of your stance is that it stifles honest and open discussion. Discussion that could possibly lead to your games being even better than they are.

You deserve kudos for taking such an active role in supporting your product, but I can't tell you how many times I didn't post about an issue/bug or whatever because of the ruckus it would cause. So when my game crashes after a few hours of play and I lose all that time investment, I just walk away and hope that it somehow gets fixed. You know what? I'm still hoping.

In any event, I've a suspicion this decision was primarily motivated by personal vendetta and the fear that certain notable personalities here at 3000AD *might* get offended at some of the things they *might* read at IndieBC. And to that I say, "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen", sound familiar?

Couldn't have said it better!

Guest Malmaison

I think Derek is going to start the Flamewar, he said he was trying to avoid.

This will not sit well with gamers, even those that don't play BC..but it will get out...and it won't be pretty...

I have no idea what you folks are going on about. I didn't ask to have the site pulled. I simply asked that MY copyrighted material, be REMOVED from the site because they were being used WITHOUT my permission. It is my IP and I have the right to say who can and cannot use it.

Below is the email - in its entirety - that was sent to both Shingen and his ISP. It was his ISP's decision - after reading my email and inspecting the items in question - to suspend the site until Shingen removed the materials. Thats what was done.

WHY should Shingen have ANY different rules from the other people who have sites, boards etc and are in the webring? Why should he have any preferential treatment?

Further, WHY would I want to give permission to some hypocritical sob who slags myself and my games at any chance they get?

My IP. My rules. Anyone who doesn't like it, can get the hell off my site. btw Malmaison, you've been perma-banned from the site.

quote:

Roger (aka Singen),

Just so you don't say you didn't see this coming; I'm giving you 24hrs to remove ALL 3000AD

copyrighted material from your website located at
http://www.indiebc.net/index.php
before

I have my attorneys contact your ISP and have the site shutdown for copyright infringement

and violation. My games' box art, the images of the assets (e.g. crafts) from my IP, must

all be removed without fail as you are using them without permission.

Oh yeah, I saw your post on the Dreamcatcher forums:

"Anyone that enjoys this game and doesn't want to endure the smarmy tongue lashings of an egomaniacal lunatic... should check out that site. Finally a place where independents/mercenaries/thugs of the galaxy can exist without the smarmy thumb of Galcom pressing on the top of their heads!

I might have to dust off my cruiser!"

You will not get another warning. I know for a fact that - above everything else - you KNOW that

I don't play around, when it comes to protecting my IP. I have your real name and address on

file; so dragging your sorry ass into court should be trivial compared to publishers I've dragged

into court over my IP.

That is all.

DS

[ 11-29-2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I had
after someone sent me

Maybe we had that impression because of that .

Poor choice of words I suppose.

I liked the idea of Shingen's site and while I would never engage in bashing you or your game, I think it would be nice to have a place to go and discuss the game without fear of posting the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I have no plans to leave 3000AD, unless you feel otherwise, but my enthusiasm has definitely been tainted. Ciao.

That was the appropriate choice of words and is the correct terminology used when a site is pulled (suspended) until reviewed for complaints.

So, if you - or anyone - misinterpreted that, you only have yourself to blame, not me. The ISP reviewed the site and determined that it violated my IP. It was thus suspended. All Shingen has to do is remove the offending material and have his ISP put the site back up. It is up to the ISP to re-instate the site or not. I have nothing to do with it and frankly, I don't care.

As for your enthusiasm being tainted, oh well, what can I say? Except well, I dunno, leave? There are several other BC sites with forums where you can post.

Anyway, since you're worried about posting the wrong thing at the wrong time, shall I help you out by removing your ability to post?

Lest some folks forget. Posting on this board is a priviledge, not a right. And it is by invitation only. My house. My rules. No democracy.

What are you guys talking about?

Shingen was banned from here for a reason. Also, I might be wrong on this one, but wasn't Takvah ALSO banned?

It's the same as people bad mouthing and hating Bill Gates and Microsoft yet using their products. It's hypocritical and at the very least shows bad character. So either put up, or shut up. When you offend someone or do something to get banned, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

I don't think Grizzle was at all questioning your authority SC. You have stated in the past you don't mind people expressing a dissenting opinion. I find Grizzle adds alot to these boards, and I would ask that you not ban him based on his opinion.

As far as the IP goes, it is hardly necessary to state that you have the right and the obligation to protect yours as you see fit.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

What are you guys talking about?

Shingen was banned from here for a reason. Also, I might be wrong on this one, but wasn't Takvah ALSO banned?

Yes. They were both banned from here. TWICE. And the second time, I wasn't even the one who banned them.

quote:

Originally posted by Prez:

I don't think Grizzle was at all questioning your authority SC.

I never said that he was, or I would have stated such. I was merely making clear my position.

If anyone feels that they would get into trouble for posting the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong place, then they do NOT belong here. The rules of this board weren't made up overnight. If one person can follow the rules without worrying about breaking them, so can everyone else.

Further, I don't give anyone preferential treatment. I don't care if someone has been here since 2001. If they break the rules, they're gone. Its really that simple.

Just because this board doesn't have a lot of stupid threads and posts, some have this idea that the community is dead. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Especially when you consider that of the 60GB monthly allocation the site has, we use up close to 50GB each month. In fact, Pair (the ISP) bumped up our allocation to 150GB about two months ago without charging us anything extra above the $160 per month that I'm paying for a dedicated box.

Again, I have to use the Egosoft boards as an example. If that is what an alive community looks like, I want no part of it. I value quality of posts over the quantity.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No democracy.

Is it at least a republic?

I dunno. I'd have to discuss that with Remo and the other admins.

Guest Remo Williams

I would agree that it is a republic.

I banned Shingen and I would do it again without a second thought the guys is trouble with a capital T. He is a basher nothing more nothing less and has no business in this community. His primary goal while he was here was to damage Derek's IP with his lies and twisted view of the reality concerning the game series.

If any of you think for a second Shingen's bashing was state and opinion then this community isn't the place for you. There are a multitude of forums out there that allow that sort of garbage use them.

I suggest you people not pursue the matter about Shingen, last I checked the SC said something about banning anyone who brought the subject up (I might've misunderstood him, I've done it before)

Either way, those of you who are NEW here. Best read this; this quote concerns Shingen and his minions:

quote:

Anyone posting ANYTHING about TDH - or this incident - in ANY other forum, will be banned outright. If you want to discuss it, take it to IRC or email.

Read and obey, for your own good

quote:

There are a multitude of forums out there that allow that sort of garbage use them

I suggest you newbies listen to what Remo just said. It's not worth it trust me; that's why this community is so mature, because we don't have gits coming here and making the silly posts you'll find on Egosofts board

It's not worth being banned just to get a little ounce of information, but hey! If you want to try SC's patience good luck.... you'll be gone in less than a second I gurrentee it, take it from someone who HAS tried his patience and HAS gotten a reward in return, yes I was banned from this board once because I did something very stupid (tought me real fast who the boss was here)

So again.. don't do it.. don't try his patience.. it's the worst mistake you could EVER do

Now... I need to wind down.. think I'll put Resnig at the helm of my carrier....

He probably caught it the other day when it listed everybody (even Supreme Cmdr) as unregistered. Later that day the board was down for maintenance. Maybe he assumed at that point that he banned. When I first saw it I thought everybody had been mass-banned , but I could still post so I figured it was BB issues.

I consider it a benevolent dictatorship, just as it should be.

the SC pays the bills, he makes the final decisions.

The admins are his eyes and ears, and sometimes his hands, but he can and does overrule when he feels it is necassary.

Benevolent Dictatorship, with a bit of the hand of god tossed in for fun!!