Website re-design

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yep, it went quite well, though we had some hairy moments over the weekend during the move from Pair to Aplus.net, but it all worked out it seems.

btw, we're going to be upgrading UBB to Invision IP.Board during the next week or so as well.

Since all the forum threads can be migrated, we won't lose anything.

I have moved my UBB classic board twice now so I know what you mean by hairy moments.

What features do the Invision IP boards have? I don't think I've seen one that I can recall anyway. Do you have any links that you can post Boss, if you have time that is?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a pretty impressive feature set. I just went through their feature tour and it looks a little more polished than the UBB system in use here, actually.

Out of (idle) curiosity, will the avatars be moving too or are we going to have to find all new ones for ourselves?

Well, we own all the UBB data, so I'm sure that when Invision and Mark migrate the site, we'll keep all the images so that you can just re-select your previous avatar images.

Yeah, its quite impressive. And unlike UBB which uses flat files, using mySQL. I bought both the IP.Board and IP.Downloads add-on.

IP.Board is awesome, I absolutely love using it (both as a user and as an administrator). Gotta keep on the security updates though as it seems to have a ton of security problems and defacings from time to time.

Will we be able to use custom avatars or is that feature still turned off?

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever happened yesterday to the boards (while Invision were working on it), has resulted in the loss of some posts (every post since the new board was opened on 09-17) in this thread. I have reported it to them, though it is highly unlikely that we'd get them back.

I hope this is a just a glitch because in all the years of using UBB, we never ever lost a post.

Hey, this is sort of funny. We have some sort of spacetime dimensional inversion going on in the news feed forum: negative reply counts!

Where? That could probably explain the disappearing posts.

EDIT: OK, I see them now. Since that seems to be only in the news forum which only has RSS feeds, that could be an isolated bug.

As to the disappearing posts, this was a problem due to the fact that the old UBB posts had to be re-imported in order to fix the bug in the exporter in which the user who made the post was not carried over.

From Invision

Yes, this is what I was trying to convey to you. In the act of fixing the bug with the posts not being linked to the proper members, I had to re-import posts. The import wrote over some/all of the posts made after the board was re-opened. There will be no way to restore those posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice new site!!!

I've been away for a bit (busy with my daughter etc.). I spent a few minutes at the old forum trying to log-in etc then I realized that everyone at the old forum was listed as unregistered so I started looking and found the new site announcement.

Looks great!

Nice new site!!!

I've been away for a bit (busy with my daughter etc.). I spent a few minutes at the old forum trying to log-in etc then I realized that everyone at the old forum was listed as unregistered so I started looking and found the new site announcement.

Looks great!

Hi Gummy!!!

There used to be a page re-direct from the old forum to the new after we closed it. But then we discovered that porting the old UBB data to IP.Board did not update

links to post within messages. So if you were to click on a reference link, it would go to a 404 (since the UBB site was closed). So we re-opened the old UBB board,

but marked it as read-only so that the embedded links would still work.

A new dynamic (DHTML+JavaScript) menu was implemented tonight. It was tested in IE6, Moz 1.7, and FF2 on the PC; and Safari on the Mac. It rendered correctly in all of them at 1024x768 (yes, I'm old school) as well as 1280x1024.

Please let me know if it doesn't work correctly in any other browser.

The old light bulbs are gone and replaced by bf_new.gif I have been keeping up with the board but these bf_new.gif are always dark blue. I have discovered you can click on them and they immediately turn bf_nonew.gif light blue.

So, I'm assuming, the first time you visit the forum you should click on all the bf_new.gif and change them to bf_nonew.gif. Then it should work like the old light bulbs.

Am I right?

The latest IP.Board 2.2.2 upgrade borked some aspects of the board especially related to new/read post counters. Hopefully an update is forthcoming as we're not going to be doing any hacking.

I have added some recommended IP.Board patches. Everyone needs to scroll to the bottom of the main board page and clear all cookies set by the board. Then log back in (if you weren't logged out when you cleared cookies).

Hopefully that should fix the problem until the come up with a new patch. This .2 patch was only released this past week. Go figure.

• 5 months later...

Just my two cents about the forum rules....

I answered a post in the tech support aread and closed it for not being compliant with the forum rules.

Something about tech support may be found HERE but it may be useful to have a link or a post that contains all the rules of the forum for quick access and clarity.

Just one note.

Yes, but those are the rules for tech support. We used to have the forum rules too IIRC.

However, not my call; just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...
Yes, but those are the rules for tech support. We used to have the forum rules too IIRC.

However, not my call; just my 2 cents.

Wow it's been awhile...just went through my boxes of old games and fumbled across this one. Good to see Dennymala and Prime Fleet still alive and kicking. Definitely getting that old feeling of making sure all your ducks are in a row when you post, since SC is sure to read everything. Bah...i know this is in the wrong place, but i miss you guys so i'll take the thrashing. ;p