If you're ever in a spot...(money)

Cruis.In

So you don't have enough money to really start trading, or to start running inflated trade routes, and you need 10 million or so to get going, and you need it fast. Here's what you do.

1) Launch all your shuttles with their mining drones. You're going to drop them off at the planet of your choice, obviously one your currently at. (make sure the planet has a starstation in orbit)

2)Deploy them(the drones) as usual.

3)then dock all the shuttles except shuttle one.

4)Order shuttle 1 to halt. Then swing your BC around, and aim at it with your IOD. Fire a couple shots, make sure not to destroy it.

But damage it about half way.

5) Order the shuttle to dock at the starstation around the planet. Then proceed to repair it.

Now when you launch, you will see that the different repair times for each damages component, will have been added up, and will be added to the game clock just a few seconds after you launch.

So the more damage the shuttle has, means a higher total repair time, which will be added to the game clock . Thus your drones will nearly be full just like that in 5 minutes. And if they've got a good haul of expensive stuff, you've got 12 million.

Note: don't do this at Galcom hq. For some reason the repair time isn't added to the game clock if you do it there. Obviously has to do with whether you pay for the repairs or not. And at galcom hq repairs are free. So do it at starstation where you would have to pay for repairs.

Guest aramike01

Great tip! Also, to add something, check out other stations in the vicinity for their inflation rates. The other shuttles can fly trade routes between the stations and you can make a killing off of them.

Hey, Cruis.In...where are you doing this?

Almost seems cheating but commanders also use it to give R&R to the crew. smile.gif

Wait a minute. Didn't you join the Insurgents on or about 12/20/99? And your playing around with Galcom? Tsk Tsk. You should wear that badge proudly! smile.gif Speaking of badges, I don't see a sig. What you posted in Call to arms would be fine. "Cmdr Cruis.in, ICV Defiance"

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

ddue right now fireworks are popping outside my house. Yeah I'll add in the signature.

I like the insurgents. Because I think of Galcom as the U.s Government all corrupt! smile.gif

And I wanna do something about it. I'm the rebel with a cause.

But I'm in free flight, you can't be in an Insurgent in free flight can you? There's no choice to be one. And if there is let me know! Now for that signature a little later.

Aramike, I do this in moon region. I shoot my shuttle then, dock them at Genesis manually, and repair it.

Charles:

I also do this ot rest my crew! smile.gif

And it's a trick, which I is why I shared it smile.gif ehehe

My first 10 million is all I want then I trade.

And tell me about the insurgent thing and how to play it in free flight.

[This message has been edited by Cruis.In (edited 12-31-1999).]

Guest aramike01

Commander Chavik, sir...I think Cruis.In is running some infiltration ops near Galcom HQ...right Cruis.In? wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Btw...the US government isn't that bad. I mean, where else can you get this kind of entertainment for free??? smile.gif

------------------

Commander Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 12-31-1999).]

Cruisin, the mission pak will let you play as Insurgent. And it's tough, you have to run like a scalded dog to get to a safe haven. Seems almost everyone is our enemy. Makes sense, not only do we already have all of Galcoms enemies because we are Terran, Galcom itself is our enemy as well. Only a few friendly traders left about here and there.

Get the mission pak and unzip it into your scripts folder. Start a new game as choose one out of three new castes. Go to mission control page for the 2.08 script and I think if you are playing 2.09 that one is tucked into the first post. {Edit in: It is, I just checked.}

------------------

Commander Chavik

ICV Phoenix

"We Shall Arise From The Ashes"

Official BC3K Tester

[This message has been edited by Charles Lindsey (edited 01-01-2000).]

Cruis.In - it's not really a trick, it's actually quite realistic - it simulates tghe time the BC would spend in drydock while it's shuttles are repaired. Thed trick is that you don't end up courtmartialled for deliberately firing on your own ships, but much as with the Starstation capture debate, this kind of cheating is almost impossible to defeat.

And Chavik, I am currently (along with a training script for the ISS and a tutorial script for new players) working on a mission script that simulates a realistic defection to the Insurgents. I thought you guys could do with a script...*laugh*.

------------------

Commander DeSylva

GCV First Light ISS01 -=- ISS Fleet Coordinator

www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Arena/9206/iss/

Official BC3K Tester and Blind Man With Sleeves award winner

"Serve - with honour."

Hey gee, just because I forgot to put in my signature doesn't mean I'm ashamed..sheesh.

hmm ok I'm gonna download it now, thanks.

What can I do for free flight? If I shoot at Galcom ships, the red insurgent dots will turn green? smile.gif

DeSylva: that's what I meant.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Guest aramike01

Hey all...

I got some info regarding this tip.

quote:

Note: don't do this at Galcom hq. For some reason the repair time isn't added to the game clock if you do it there. Obviously has to do with whether you pay for the repairs or not. And at galcom hq repairs are free. So do it at starstation where you would have to pay for repairs.

I just tried this out and I had no probs. with the time elaspsing at Galcom HQ. Time ticked off the clock just fine. Just thought y'all might like to know that...

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

[This message has been edited by aramike01 (edited 01-07-2000).]

Yup, it works at galcom now. But this tip is good for the beginning of the game for the first 10 million. Once you get that you start trading. And this way you don't have to sell so much stuff off your BC.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Running v2.09.

I like the tip and tried it. But unfortunately, I pound away on my shuttle too long and end up killing my flight engineer every time. Shuttle still accepts commands even though it has a corpse in it, so nothing lost besides one guy or gal.

I also found that if I do this trick, after doing all repairs (and I mean replacing or repairing, whichever is LONGER), my mining drones are only about half full, so I do it again. (Of course this will cost me two people for three full drones... fair trade me thinks smile.gif ) This could be different depending on the planet mining, not too sure.

One other quick...tip? If you accidentaly de-couple the IOD by clicking on 'de-couple' from the IOD drop down menu, you need to manually re-couple by hitting the 'scroll-lock' key. I thought that it used to re-couple by clicking on something else, but I could've been drunk that time. Who knows.

Guest aramike01

Scotty...

I've used this trick to amass billions and have yet to kill anyone in v2.09! All it really takes is two shots with the IOD at 50%.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

LOL@Scott

Why don't you just turn down the power on your IOD Cannon? So you don't hit the shuttle so hard. I fire 2 shots, get the shuttle to 36 armour damage, then fly it in for repairs. The guy inside is always hurt but has never been killed...sheesh your iod cannon is on drugs steroids or something..

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Actually guys, my IOD is at 10% when I do this. I just fire for a while then stop when shuttle gets to about 15 - 20 left. (Have noticed that should stop before blowing up shuttle, though. Can't repair it if it's gone.)

Also, put a different twist on this and launched a fighter, dropped BC's shields, switched to fighter...and...yep, shot up the BC. Then went to repair it. I actually found this to be most helpful after a long campaign where not a lot of damage was taken but the crew (officers) are dead tired and you need a LONG time to rest. (IE: left game on overnight)

I think you fire too much because you want too much damage so more time passes. Yeah I tried shooting up my bc one time. It definitely fills your drones up straight away because its systems take quite some time to repair.

But I just didn't feel right shooting my ship, and seeing this is a tip for the beginning of the game just to get started, you don't have the money to really repair your battlecruiser, because it's more than likely you're gonna hit something expensive which 90000 can't cover.

When everyones tired, I do this too, but usually I have damage sustained from drunk enemy pilots hitting into my BC touching my shining armour. I find that if I set everyone to off duty, go and repair at a station, they've come back on-duty somewhere inbetween that down time and are all tired again.

So what I do is I put everyone in sickbay because they can't leave there without being discharged smile.gif And when I come from repairs everything is fine.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Guest aramike01

Cruisin, I think he must have been doing this at Galcom HQ (where I do it) so repairs are free. Scotty, I stop shooting the shuttle when it's at 50 or so. Really no need to shoot at it any longer because you're going to have to do this trick twice, anyway.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

You guys are lucky that we are now running the Final version of BC3K! wink.gif

I guarantee that if there were going to be another patch, this trick/loop hole would be removed with extreme prejudice! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"

Guest aramike01

Cheaters always win! wink.gif

Seriously, the reason I like to get the money-making thing out of the way is simple: I really don't think military commanders should have to finance their ships. When I play, I prefer to think of myself as a military commander, not some profiteer. There are times in which I enjoy grabbing the cash, but I just like being another Insurgent arm. smile.gif

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

My sentiments exactly. You don't see Navy submarine commanders paying for the latest mark of torpedo. If galcom actually has this shield technology...linear spec IV, then is it not their priority to give their ships the best protection? If you look at the stats for the Gammulan ships and so on they already seem to have their upgrades.

I'm thinking my ship must be the most powerful in all of Galcom. Because I'm the only Galactan BC flying around with 3750 shields. Galcom hq sells the highest shield..why not put it on all ships they build, which can handle it?

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

Guest aramike01

Exactly right Cruis.In.

Umm, btw, what's with all this Galcom stuff? You are supposed to be killing them, not asking for shields! wink.gif

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid