Trading, but what?, from where?, and where to?

Rico Jansen

OK, because I'm a glutton for punishment, here is what I did.

I re-installed BC3K from scratch and started a new game. Even before leaving Galcom, I checked the prices for Miscellaneous items.

Everything up to Craft Parts1 is correct according to the the appendix. However, Craft Parts1, Craft Parts2, and Craft Parts3 are wrong. From Fertilizers on, the numbers are back to matching the appendix.

Specifically, I'm seeing:

Craft Parts1

Base Price 25000 (instead of 500000)

Displacement 500 (instead of 850)

Craft Parts2

Base Price 50000 (instead of 750000)

Displacement 750 (instead of 1000)

Craft Parts3

Base Price 100000 (instead of 850000)

Displacement 1000 (instead of 2500)

However, none of this was the original problem. This was discovered because I used Craft Parts1 in my example of the problem of truncating the tech class and not applying the discount.

At Galcom (which is a class AD station), Craft Parts1 is discounted by 10%. Cotton, which is an AG item, is increased by 10%. Inflation is 0%.

On the stations where the tech class is truncated, no preferred discounts are being given.

Those are my findings. Can anyone replicate or refute the base prices of Craft Parts?

Got it exactly reproduced as in above table I posted. Except for the techlevel entry of ISS I first posted. I may have switched it with the class level when I first wrote it down. My error. ISS techlevel was 0 when I checked the v1.-2.09 game install again half an hour ago. Not a dash. Nothing seems to be wrong with techlevels. (Atleast, I wouldn't know how to determine the correct value)

I have noticed the following things:

• Class-levels of the new fleet stations (don't know about Spectre) are not correctly displayed on the info-page of TRADCOM. They are replaced by a dash, "-".

• Majoris' class-level is not correctly displayed, it shows as "D", while it should be "HT".

• Majoris' inflation is not 40% as per posted list of SC or navchart.pdf. In the game it starts with 10%.

• Inflation is not 0% for all stations in Sol (as per list posted by SC), they are 0% (GalcomHQ), 10% (Gazer,Orion,Genesis,Starpath), 20% (ISS).

• Calculation of inflation seems to be ok everywhere.

If you want screen shots of those stations, I got them. Only, I forgot to make them of Wraith. I haven't checked stations outside Sol, except for Wraith and Majoris. Don't have the time yet. School stuff is pretty busy. And the BC3K universe whaaay big!!

As for the craftparts Steve discovered. He's right, TRADCOM doesn't agree with the trade appendix on the 3 craftparts. Same values. I mean, like Steve said when he was comparing prices.

Convincing?

------------------

Cmdr. Rico Jansen

GCV de Ruyter, Genesis (Moon)

16 Squadron Leader - Prime Fleet, Gamma Wing, 1st Squadron

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 10-07-2000).]

I think we can consider this as 'Omega' testing. The code as been scuttled for a long time now. It won't extend the life of our baby anymore.

Alfa and Omega, there shall be a time for everything.

I only spoke out to make sure nothing of this would have to enter BCM too. I hope the SC can do something with this.

Rico

[This message has been edited by Rico Jansen (edited 10-08-2000).]

OK, the code is definitely correct. It is the appendix that is wrong (as per the crafts). I think I must have reduced them but forgot to update the appendix. Below is the table that is parsed into the index file that the game uses (for BC3K, that is).

The prices for GALCOM HQ, as quoted by Steve, are correct. It is an AD type station, so the Crafts are cheaper and AG items are slightly more expensive.

Rico, the chart above which I posted was not from v2.09. It seems to be the original version, so I've gone and restored the 2.09 version and updated it. You will see that the inflation rates vary in Sol.

Also, the navchart.pdf appendix files, explains how tech levels are calculated.

www.3000ad.com/gbs/trade.txt

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 10-08-2000).]

quote:

Also, the navchart.pdf appendix files, explains how tech levels are calculated.

Ok, I noticed the numbers 0-5 stand for 0 to 50% extra availability. But unlike inflation, I am not (to my knowledge) able to determine which techlevel aplies to the station from the displayed stock numbers of all the numerous items. Or what the 'standard availability' is for items. Is it traceable from information in tradcom? (without the infopage ofcourse)

I forgot (or can't remember where it was described) what influence NPCs or the player had on availablility and inflation. I do remember you (SC) said NPCs didn't trade directly in BC3K. Or they didn't really buy/sell stuff. Anybody know where it was? I suspect it's removed. Searching for "tech level" doesn't show up with anything important. (Except for this thread)

Rico

p.s. You also got me curious about what the two last (undocumented) colums of the navchart text-file mean.

quote:

But unlike inflation, I am not (to my knowledge) able to determine which techlevel aplies to the station from the displayed stock numbers of all the numerous items.

Read the navchart text file I posted again. You will see that there is a TLVL column which shows the tech level of the station/base listed on that line. Then read the navchart.pdf file again where it describes the tech level.

quote:

Or what the 'standard availability' is for items. Is it traceable from information in tradcom? (without the infopage ofcourse)

The station/base is seeded from the default trade list at game startup.

The info in Tradcom is parsed and derived from the files I posted in this thread. Which explains why it is not updated. The code will always be correct and one has to remember to update the docs. In this case, the appendix file pertaining to said changes.

quote:

I forgot (or can't remember where it was described) what influence NPCs or the player had on availablility and inflation.

NPCs don't affect the station items through trading because I never implemented it. The player affects station items through trading. NPCs don't trade. The traders only cause the stations to be re-seeded. Nothing else.

quote:

You also got me curious about what the two last (undocumented) colums of the navchart text-file mean

They are X/Y locations of the system map icons used in Navitron. When you click on a system to plot a course, these locations tell Navitron what map to display.

[This message has been edited by Supreme Cmdr (edited 10-08-2000).]