Tips for ground ops...

SpacePhish

Since the beta is comming up. For you testers who may have just begun to play B.C the ground ops is a perfect way to get some pratice...

This guide is not perfect, I'm sure all you B.C players already know this, I'm doing it for tha newbies smile.gif You ole timers please keep a straight face, don't laugh at my pathetic tip effort smile.gif

-------------------------------------------

This is a guide for you new commanders who may not be familiar with the workings of ground ops in BC3k. This guide was made while playing v2.09 with the map pack add-on. Please download and install them, read faq and version control if you are not familiar with those steps.

This guide is divided into 3 parts.

1st part: Preparing and excueting the invasion with A.I.

2nd part: Playing as planetary pilot without BC:M

3rd part: Marine, ATV, and Nuclear bombs.

What is ground ops?

In v2.09 all features of ground ops are enabled, ground ops back in the days was nothing like today's. The point of ground ops is to destroy ground targets on planet surface, located in planet zones.

What types of equipment do I need?

IC and shuttles.

What type of weapon?

ATA missiles for air to air combat and ATS or air to surface missile.

Before your conquest of planets you need to set up a good Interceptor team. Divide them into 2 tactical groups. Put pilot with good dog-fighting skills on the Combat Air Patrol team and bombing pilot in the Strike or S.E.A.D team.

Arm your interceptor team with suitable weapons for their role. Ex. C.A.P team gets all ATA missiles and S.E.A.D team get the ATS weapons.

Next, find a planetary zone to attack. In this guide I am playing a Galcommie, I will attack a PLZ located on the moon. Fly your B.C to the target planet. Park it somewhere near it. At this point I usually set up way points for my B.C in an orbit around the planet, this way you won't be a sitting duck. You can select B.C->Order->patrol if you want, but that will take you away from the planet. I usually stay near the planet on invasion missions.

Your IC should be ready. Goto tacops, click on zoom to. Select you target planet. This will center it on the screen. Click on it, a menu will come up, select the observe option. Now you should see a 2D representation of the surface for that planet. There will be different zones belonging to different ethnic groups smile.gif. Those zones are the rectangle things In my case I click on a zone labeled Ter/Insurgent (sorry insurgents, I'm trying to make a point frown.gif ). After clicking on it the screen will update to another surface with more red boxes. This time the boxes will be small, some of them are flashing, some not. The flashing ones means that they contain SAL(surface to air laser), HQ, bunkers, SAM(nasty little suckers) and planetary craft bases located in them. You should go there, if you want action. Of course you could go to the ones that are not flashing, but there aren't any hostiles in them.

Next, you want to setup your way-points.

*this guide will continue tommrow*

[This message has been edited by SpacePhish (edited 10-13-2000).]

Now you are ready to set up your way points. Before proceeding, draft out an attack plan. In my case I'll send in 2 interceptors on combat air patrol around the plz. To set their way points you select the interceptors on the tacops palette. Next click on add, which will add a way point. Then select a goal for the way point by click on the way point goal slot. In this case the Combat Air Patrol. After you set up way points for your CAP patrol, you want to set a way points for your strike group, who will take out the planetary base and sam sites. Give one interceptor a strike mission, set up your strike way point on the building that you want destroyed. Next, set up the other interceptor's way point with S.E.A.D goals.

If you are planning on full force invasion, now is the time to get your marines into the ATV and shuttles. You send them in right after the two interceptor group complete their mission. It's crucial that you take out the planetary flight base and the sam sites. You can of course send you marines in first, but I wouldn't recommended it. Expect heavy losses.

The exception:

Now it's time to start the party, get out your cigars, but don't burn them yet, save it for your victory dance!

Launch your CAP group. Switch the one of fighters, get ready for some dog fighting. Once you get planet side, turn on your EMD. Stay away from the SAM sites, stay clear the PLZ. Take out few enemy fighters if you want. Now switch back to B.C then launch your strike group. It's important you take control. I recommend flying one striking the planetary force and let the other one take care the SAMs. Some tips for flying ground strike:

*Always have your EMD on when not using your missiles.

*Charge your laser at 70%.

*Pull drive by. Get some altitude, then turn around, line up, fire your missiles but do not fire you lasers (some times you laser can destroy your own missiles). After you run out of the missiles then go back and finish them off with you lasers.

*When sustained heavy damage return to B.C

Improvise your ground ops, after all the point of all this is trying to have some fun. Save often, even though I find that v.2.09 is very stable, it pays to save! You will thank me :-)

Spacephish out for today, be back with more tips tomorrow.

Again, this is for the newbies. You old pholks play too much smile.gif See ya in BC:M, you know I going to bust some heads!

• 3 weeks later...

Or you can do the crazy man's ground invasion and bring the old girl down to the planet and bring her over the target and lay waste to it with your heavy guns. If you are in a hurry that is smile.gif (sorry, I had to try it once) cwm35.gif

------------------

Commander Korono Lakeela

GCV King Crimson, Fenrir Starbase(Fenrir)

Wraith Fleet, Maurader Wing

• 2 weeks later...

I like Korono's method...what it lacks in subtlty it more than makes up for in brute force. I mean, why risk your pilots, marines, ICs and ATVs when you can just use your multimillion dollar, top-of-the-line Battlecruiser like some kind of IC on horse steriods cwm1.gif

Korivak