Getting off a planet...

Gomez

I thought it would be neat to pop down to Earth to see how things work planetside and in FP. All was fine till I tried to get back to space.

Here's what happens:

I engage full thrust and full afterburner. Head straight for 35,000 MSL. JUST before I get there, it stops climbing entirely. Speed is still 800-900 but my flight direction indicator has leveled off even though my nose is straight up.

As a result, I cannot get off the planet. I tried allocating 10 power units to the engines, no luck. Tried with and without ABs, no luck. Tried diving, and reapproaching, no luck. Even tried vtol, I just bounced off the level.

What am I doing wrong?

At @ 30k to 32k feet, the weight of your ship and the pull of gravity reach a peak. Hit the afterburners until you reach 35k feet, then hit the "O" key to break "O"rbit.

Some friendly advice for all of our new Commanders....

RTFM

Read The Fine Manual.

Read All of The On Disc Documentation.

Enjoy

Read my message...I was doing that The "fine manual" has a nice section on page 52 that explains exactly what you said (I've read it half a dozen times at this point, you see). And I was following it to the letter. Except that I never reached 35,000.

I stop climbing at 34,xxx. Thus when I hit "O" I get "You must be above 35,000..." I never actually reach 35,000+.

BTW, this was while flying an Aestrom supercarrier.

I have a theory it may be related to the ship. I just realized that I DID accomplish getting off planet with a Stormcarrier. I will try other ships to see if they work like the Stormcarrier, or the Aestrom....

I tested it with a bunch of ships (including a fresh new Aestrom)...

I can get off planet with every ship I tested. Just not the incarnation of the Aestrom that I was playing.

I don't know what the deal is. Fortunately, I'm not far along at all. So I'll just delete and start over I did sustain some damage while attempting to land (teach me to not use the auto-landing system). But I had repaired all the damage to the reactor and engines completely before I tried. Dunno what it is...

I'll just delete and start over Thanks

All ships behave differently.

And the manual is 100% correct. I should know. I wrote it. Page 52-53 are very extensive in explaining what is going on.

Besides, rule of thumb : Don't take a capital ship (carrier, cruiser, transport) to a planet or moon without...

1. First checking the ship's stats in the online appendix.
  2. Repairing all damage, especially to engine and reactor.
  3. Knowing what you're doing

quote:

Originally posted by Sgt Khan:

Put it in drive and jam on the gas to get out of the atmosphere, and prey I am not standing on the ground with a zs-10 waiting for you to get mad and land because you cant make it!

hehe, ZS10?? Nah, gimme a BMP-9 and a nice hill anyday.