questions (2) for experienced commanders

treeder

I have tried landing a shuttle and the CC on Trion in the training missions but the Shift-E command just sends me skidding along the ground. I am in VTOL mode at around 500 feet when it do it. What exactly is the best procedure to landing on a planet?

Also, once landed, how do i deploy the 4 marines that i took along with my AE on the little planet hope? I cant seem to find a command to kick them out of the shuttle once i get down (i got down by shutting off my engines when i was at 15 feet in VTOL mode

Thanks in advance

Question 1: Look for a flat spot on the ground before you try to land. You can use the auto-landing system, or just tap the retro rockets a little at a time, till you are on the ground (VTOL mode). But I repeat, make sure the ground is FLAT, or you are gonna get hurt

Question 2: Erm...umm...I could be wrong, but I believe -before- you step out into FP mode, click your tacops button, and select your shuttle, then give it a "proceed to next" waypoint, and a waypoint to deploy troops at. Hit the a/p and let it deploy them, THEN shut off a/p, land it again, and hop out

I'm pretty sure that'll work, but there might be an easier way. I don't do much in the way of planetside operations (yet)....

That auto-land system doesn't work. I just activate the VTOL, hold tab, and when I'm a few feet off the ground (VTOL won't let you touch down) turn the VTOL back off. You should gently fall to the ground. Oh, and make sure your throttle is at zero.

If you say so, but my experience was that that thing got my ship smashed into the side of a mountain more often then it landed (and even then, with a few bumps). I'm not trying to mislead him, just sharing my personal experiences.

But everyone has their prefrences, he should do it the way he wants to.

Thanks to all the fine captains who answered my request.

I've been tooling around the Training missions for the last week to "get my wings". A Commander should be proficient with his craft after all. I'll probebly take to "real" space this weekend. Again, thank you all.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Stop misleading the newbie. Its bad enough that he's confused.

The CALS
does
work.

Correct, and here's how to land on a mountain side or where ever (been there and done it folks).

1. Absolutely the most important step, clear any waypoints for you craft that are set in TACOPS. Having a waypoint set and initiating CALS is a good way to die.
  2. Engage VTOL mode
  3. Fire your retros until your craft is between 20 and 50 M (I believe altitude is in meters isn't it?) the lower the better.
  4. Set throttle/engine to zero
  5. Initiate CALS
  6. When the altimeter reads zero disengage the autopilot and you're done.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Correct, and here's how to land on a mountain side or where ever (been there and done it folks).

Absolutely the most important step, clear any waypoints for you craft that are set in TACOPS. Having a waypoint set and initiating CALS is a good way to die.

Engage VTOL mode

Fire your retros until your craft is between 20 and 50 M (I believe altitude is in meters isn't it?) the lower the better.

Set throttle/engine to zero

Initiate CALS

When the altimeter reads zero disengage the autopilot and you're done.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

that makes alot of sense. thanks again