marines and pilots like to sky dive without parachutes!!!

treeder

Ok here is the deal. I send a shuttle down with a fighter pilot and a marine. also loaded onboard is a ATV with 2 marines. I plot WP for plantfall and to "deploy vehicle" but the darn shuttle just flys right by that waypoint and keeps the vehicle onboard. Hmmm... On to waypoint 2 to deploy a mining drone. No probs there, worked like a charm. WP 3 was "deploy a cargo pod", again no problems. So i keep trying to get the shuttle to fly back to WP 1 and drop off the ATV but with no luck. Finally i decide to deploy the single marine that i loaded on the shuttle with the pilot. I assigned the marine from the "TEAM" option in TACOPS, LOADOUT. So i change WP1 to "Deploy team". Sure enough the shuttle changes course and flys right over the WP.... Then the pilot and the marine jump out at 20,000 ft and....SPLAT, FLAT, DEAD!!! The shuttle then begins to return to the CC on autopilot (i assume since the other two marines were in the ATV onboard). What is with the spontanious this spontanious suicide incedent and How do i deploy the vehicle?

You see, if the terrain is not flat the shuttle has trouble landing, so they couldn't land but you ordered them to get out there, so they figured they would take their chances and learn to fly rather then come back to CC and having you do weird things to punish them for disobeying.

HELP! Am having the exact same trouble myself.

[bIG EDIT: never mind(?)]

Before a fire-breathing dragon comes and consumes treeder and I, there's an excellent discussion in this thread (Clueless Newbie Questions) that seems helpful. Search for the posts by "schoch1".

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

yeah, I just dropped all 36 of my marines to their deaths from 4 separate shuttles. And I did all that about 5 times in a row trying to get it to work.

I made sure my smartest marines were the first aboard each of the shuttles (AI 19-23). And I couldn't a find flatter land to try it on even if I went to Kansas. Following the shuttles with the F10 view show me that they aren't even attempting to land, they're just kicking my marines out from about 15K meters. I'm at a loss.

In the final 1.0.02 patch I will see if I can relax the deployment rules and prevent the shuttle from doing any deployment above 2ft. However, this MAY cause other problems in which, it may never, ever deploy any thing if you put the waypoint on a slope etc.

sounds good chief. After all, landing on a slope to deploy troops aint exactly wise.

I can imagine now.. shuttle flies down to 5ft, hovers and the marines jump out.. then the ATV falls out of the rear end, kills resnig... and there was much rejoicing.

quote:

Originally posted by Gomez:

Oh, now why'd you have to go and bring up that movie eh? Perhaps I should just break out my Holy Handgrenade of Antioch and lob it at you on the count of 3

Hey, I can't let Tac corner the market on that kind of stuff now can I?

Just for the record and to keep on topic...I say keep things the way they are. How hard is it to use two waypoints? Why fix something that actually works? And yes I believe that using two way points is not just a work around.

<rp>

Sniveling cadets playing at commander. When I was a cadet survival training started on day one with a hands on course in sewing your arm back on!

Where's my Zelon Sipping Soda!

<rp>

quote:

Originally posted by Tac:

sounds good chief. After all, landing on a slope to deploy troops aint exactly wise.

Yep, but as you've seen, the noobs will do anything - without thinking - and then cluttering my board with crap.