Jumping To targets on the other side of planet without planetfall...

Fractux

OK, here's the problem I've had on several occasions, I'm on one side of the planet [Mars in my last case], and I want to jump in my Fighter to the other side [therefore flying through the planet which is always intersting since it mysteriously dissapears ] and as I emerge on the other side from hyperspace, I always establish planetfall right away.

So how am I supposed to get to the other side without establishing planet fall?

Or to I have to go the long way and make an initial jump to a gate that will allow me a clear jump path to my target?

Target the station or orbit facility on the planet and jump to it, then fly to the enemy.

Another option is to jump to a nav point that would then allow you to jump to the enemy without having the planet in between.

Try the advice of making a Nav point a bit farther than the target. When you come out of HJ, you usually end up around 70km away from target if you're using a Cap Ship. You're probably coming too close to the planet's gravity well (usually around less than 150km), and being pulled planetside.

Oh, and Fractux, Melcar, Tac, and to everyone else this may apply to:

Read this thread, log into the Reg DB with your serial number you registered with, and get a "System Profile Info" link into your sig, as per SC's instructions. Just spreading the word of warning.

Nova, over and out.

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

You know I did this just the other day. Just as I jumped I realized I was close to the planet and would do planet fall soon as I passed through and emerged from HyperSpace.

Then I remembered something said in another Topic.."Hyperspacing through planets" something to do with accelerating (sp?). Anyways I disengaged the engines so when I exited HyperSpace I'd be at 0. This time it seemed to work..I didnt do a planet fall. This was only once and coulda been a fluke but I'll have to try it again to see if it really works.

Something to think about tho...