Best Joystick for BCM?

Tanabi

Hey guys;

I was wondering what joysticks people were using for BCM, and what would be considered the "best" one. I'm gonna get a joystick pretty much -just- for BCM, so I figure I should seek out the advice of other BCM-ers seeing as I know nothing about joysticks :-D

Thanks!

Steve

I use a MS 3d pro, but a few weeks ago I saw this joystick at the store, which had this throttle on it you had to put you're whole left hand on(with four buttons at youÔÇÖre left hands finger tips), I remember thinking how could it would be to have that with BC!!

But if you are like me then a Saitek is a no no. I'll be honest when I say that I love that joystick to bits and if they ever make a newer, more robust version I wouldn't think twice and get that joystick right away. Right now I have to contend with M$ Precision Pro 2 and so far it hasn't broken.....yet.

I know I'm heavy handed but it's not all my fault. I blame my kid (parent's perogative ).

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

For BCM I use, and like, the Saitek Cyborg Gold USB - it's easy to configure, seems to have enough buttons for targeting and fighting, and includes both a throttle and the twist axis.

I also have a full Thrustmaster FLCS/TQS set-up, but I found it inappropriate for BCM - my Firestorm is NOT a fighter jet, and even when I take the controls of one of my FCs I prefer to let the systems do much of the work. As much as I like flight sims like Falcon 4, I am really getting (back) into the role of commanding the big ships and support craft in BCM

I use the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro. Now, BCM doesn't use force feedback, but the joystick is good. Also, there is a non-force feedback version of the stick (cheaper too).

Has twist, throttle, 8 buttons, hat switch, and a "shift" button so that technically it can have 16 buttons, if you program them.

Wow... you guys must be really heavy handed... my x36 still works great after strangeling it playing high-tension games! Oh well... to each their own... I've put the x36 aside for now (damn Athlon and Via chipset) and am using a Gravis Blackhawk... no hat, but it has a throttle... no complaints.

I have the Logitech Wingman Digital Extreme 3d as well, bought it exclusively for the game.

I like it it has enough bells and whistles and is pretty sturdy doesnt float around on the desktop. ( it also doesnt shatter when I bang my head on it in frustration)

It can float a bit when you remove your hand, if your not careful when you set it up.

Cheers

I'm a big fan of the Saitek X36, never seemed at all fragile to me. I didn't think too highly of the integrated rudder-rocker at first, but have grown used to it, it just requires a light touch and is a lot more precise than it seems at first use.

I have a MS sidewinder FF 2, I love it, but it just doesn't seem right to be flying a BC with a joystick...I like the startrek type setup, no joystick, just a bunch of buttons, so my joystick is my keyboard...it just feels more natural...if I ever get up enough courage to fly an interceptor into battle, then I might use it, but only then...but for most other games, the MS ff2 is GREAT...especially MS games(I wonder why?)...

I have the Saitek X36 also and like it alot. The main reason I bought it was to get rid of the rudder peddles (one less piece of equipment). I had the gameport only version for about three years before it decided to quit working. I then bought the USB/Gameport version. The only problem I've had with it is the rotary wheels (I've not had much luck with getting them to work with my sims).

I too am using the Saitek X-36 stick. I have not had any complaints thus far..it got me through MW4 and Black Knight like a champ.The cyborg series did look a little fragile to me if you were the least bit heavy handed. I had some problems with the X-36 when I first started BCM.IT would rapidly cycle through the weapons in the pod. I thought that was normal till I read through the docs.All I had to do was change modes on the Throttle and problem solved.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Stormshadow ]

I'm happy with my MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro. It's a gamepad type controller with a built-in motion sensor to let it act like a joystick. It has an 8-way rocker and the typical gamepad A-B-C, D-E-F, and START buttons. It also has two trigger buttons and a throttle wheel. Plus, it has a shift key for the START, A-F and trigger buttons. That gives me a total of 18 programmable buttons, plus the 8-way rocker.

I love the fact that it takes up so little room on my desk, and I don't get wrist fatigue from wrestling with a stationary joystick. I just wave it in the air and my ship flies.

I use a regular old MS Sidewinder USB. It's a great and sturdy joystick, if you don't mind not having Z-axis rotation.

Most flight sims allow keyboard compensation for the lacking Z-axis however, including this game.

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Aevlom ]