New guy needs advice

captraven

You need to register the game to get into the site (once everything is updated, and said and done).

While Laracuente waits for you to get your sig in place, I'll help you out. (SC only said that the restrictions on replying to someone was just for the tech support forums. ) I am the Newbie Welcome Wagon, after all.

My favorite trade route is the Pluto->Lyrius->Jupiter and repeat. Jupiter lies right between Pluto and Lyrius, so it's all in one line.

Pluto's Gazer1 Starstation has 0% inflation, and HT status, so buy as much HT stuff as you can. (I tend to go to Audio Disks and Equipment because it's right on top, and it's cheap enough for starting.)

Wraith HQ at Lyrius has 20% inflation , and I think, RO or AD technology.... Sell those HT items, and don't buy anything.

Finally, at Jupiter (I think Earthstar Station), you've got IIRC, 10% inflation. The station specializes in MN, or Minerals, so buy as many minerals as you can. Head off and sell them to the Gazer1.

The only reason I use this route (opposed to other ones where you can make profit on all 3 legs), is that it's at the edge of Sol, and gives me nice access to a good portion of the Terran Quadrant. Once you've accumulated enough funds, I suggest going over to Lennen (next door to Lyrius), and capturing the Pixan starstation, if you're a military. That way, you get a ton of early funds.

Also, if you've got shuttles, then have them tow any enemies to your friendly stations. A regular enemy (not the Galcom/Insurgent or Terran/Gammulan "arch-enemy" stuff) carrier is worth 1000 EP (experience), and 25000 GalCreds! And if you've got an "arch-enemy" ship, it increases; i.e. you're a Ter/Mil and tow an Insurgent carrier to a station, then you get 2000 EP and 75000 GalCreds! A bigger bonus than just blowing them up. And it doesn't matter if you directly tow them, or have your shuttles do the work.... (Personally, my shuttles are actually shot at only 20% of the time, because the enemy is usually already engaged with someone else.) Easy money.

Nova, over and out.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

, I suggest going over to Lennen (next door to Lyrius), and capturing the Pixan starstation, if you're a military. That way, you get a ton of early funds.

Too difficult... The first time i played i got destroyed by the pixan station. My MK3 Didn't stand a chance against it, it was just a matter of seconds when my shields dropped, and my pilots where too stupid to fight well so i was blown away...

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr. P. Laracuente ]

And that's why you trade: so you can get cash for upgrades.

Also, if you've got a carrier, use that cloaker! It may turn the tide of the battle! (And I've found that the pilots really do suck, until higher AI levels, so you're exactly right about them not helping.)

My hint is to get the PAD as soon as you can. Get a waypoint at around 100k from the station you're trying to attack/capture, and then try to hit it from a distance with it. Takes a steady hand (with a joystick), and some patience; the PAD isn't the super-weapon you want it to be. (Or what I want it to be, at least. )

Trust me on these little hints. I accidently blew up New America while trying to capture it, using the PAD. New America, people! Watch out Gammula! 'Cuz I'm probably on my way! (Time to use those fluxfields...)

That's a good tip ... "sniping" the stations. :-)

Maybe that'll prevent them from launching the fighter swarm ... :-P Whenever I try to capture a station, the swarm of fighters that inevitably surrounds my poor cruiser inevitably does more damage to their station than I do, so I don't even get credit for the kill, let alone get anywhere close to capturing it :-(

And fighting the fighters doesn't seem to matter, more come! Either from the station, OR from the reinforcement carries. Feh! ;-P

Steve

Uhm...

Phased IOD does not need any AI whatsoever to be installed-- Surely you know that?-- (hehe always wanted to say that)

anyway heres what you need to get this thing to work--

Firing system must be de-coupled.

IOD requires 5 units of power.

Weapon System requires 5 units of power.

Tactical System requires 5 units of power.

Weapons Computer status level must be greater 25%

So, as you can see it comes fairly dumbass proof

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Carl Burning ]

quote:

Originally posted by Carl Burning:

[QB]Uhm...

Phased IOD does not need any AI whatsoever to be installed-- Surely you know that?-- (hehe always wanted to say that)

Uhm, doesn't it still need to be analyzed? We had this discussion on another thread.