Strategy and Tactics

mej023

I started this topic for members to discuss BC:M strategy and tactics in relation to battle.

Categories to include:

Ship to ship fighting

Fleet Tactics

Taking Down Stations

Taking Down Super Carriers

Ground Missions

Jumping Innocents

OTS Attacks

Other topics

How do you plan the ingress, the attack and egress?

Hmm...At this point I think we are getting so close to MP that some of us might be a little reluctant to share our hard won secrets......at least with anyone besides our fellow Fleet Commanders........Am I despicable for having these feelings? Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

Hmm...At this point I think we are getting so close to MP that some of us might be a little reluctant to share our hard won secrets......at least with anyone besides our fellow Fleet Commanders........Am I despicable for having these feelings? Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, "Will those same secrets work against your fellow humans?"

here's a TRICK OR TACTIC I like

before jumping cloak yourself and enter the region undetected

(or you hope so)

oh ya and let your fighters battle it out while you sit on the side lines and watch the cheerleaders (YAYA)

only losers use cloak--- be a man (or woman) and rush in there without cloaking and start some real fighting! get some battle scars! Dont you find it boring having all systems green all the time?

I cant stand it unless I have atleast one heavily damaged system or a batterd crew..

--well thats just me i guess

So, Carl...are you saying that using your cloak on the attack is not a good tactic?

I like to cloak when I hear the word, "Aquired" - then move to my enemy's sweet spot. Go to TACSCAN and hit "D" (Match Designated Target's Speed)

I guess that would be defined as one of the defensive uses of your cloaking device.

You disappear, move to your enemy's sweet spot....uncloak and BAM! Let 'em rip!!! When he send his SOS, tractor beam his ass and haul him to a station.

[ 03-14-2002, 22:44: Message edited by: Captain X ]

quote:

So, Carl...are you saying that using your cloak on the attack is not a good tactic?

I like to cloak when I hear the word, "Aquired" - then move to my enemy's sweet spot. Go to TACSCAN and hit "D" (Match Designated Target's Speed)

I guess that would be defined as one of the defensive uses of your cloaking device.

You disappear, move to your enemy's sweet spot....uncloak and BAM! Let 'em rip!!! When he send his SOS, tractor beam his ass and haul him to a station.

You see but that isnt FUN.. If I heard "aquired" then id see if its worthy of me paying attention-- if it is then id just say bring it on and load up on vagrants(sp).. Then of course id charge into battle and rip em a new one-- If it was fighters when id just send my fighters to get em off me and let PTA finish the job..

Now dont get me wrong--- if I had a chance id disable the ship and board it in first person with some marines and have some fun.. Infact I wouldnt use cloaking to do that either-- (but until then I prefer the ship to be a smoking wreck instead of taking the time to tow it)

So I still stand on cloaking being an overused non-valiant tactic.. but thats just me

quote:

only losers use cloak--- be a man (or woman) and rush in there without cloaking and start some real fighting! get some battle scars! Dont you find it boring having all systems green all the time?

I cant stand it unless I have atleast one heavily damaged system or a batterd crew..

--well thats just me i guess [[big Grin]]

I'm going to have to say that I'm kinda puzzled by this attitude. A warrior will use whatever weapons are at hand to most effectively complete the mission or attrit the enemy. A good commander will use all resources available to do the same AND keep his people and ship out of harms way. I think it would be safe to say that most of the crew and most certainly the Chief Engineer enjoy "all systems Green"

quote:

You see but that isnt FUN.. If I heard "aquired" then id see if its worthy of me paying attention-- if it is then id just say bring it on and load up on vagrants(sp).. Then of course id charge into battle and rip em a new one-- If it was fighters when id just send my fighters to get em off me and let PTA finish the job..

It would be just as arbitrary to say only losers use vagrants. Playing against real commanders is gonna be much different than playing the AI ships....I think you better learn to use that cloak as well as you can...or spend a lot of time as space debris

quote:

So I still stand on cloaking being an overused non-valiant tactic.. but thats just me

Non-Valiant? WTF are you talking about? Your job is to accomplish your mission and try to preserve your people and assets....who said anything about being Valiant?

My mistake, I guess. I thought this was a simmulation of being a military commander.....not just a gamer going and getting his A$$ shot off because it "Kewl"

but ....that just my opinion

quote:

I'm going to have to say that I'm kinda puzzled by this attitude. A warrior will use whatever weapons are at hand to most effectively complete the mission or attrit the enemy. A good commander will use all resources available to do the same AND keep his people and ship out of harms way. I think it would be safe to say that most of the crew and most certainly the Chief Engineer enjoy "all systems Green"

Its a game man, the RL value of your CC is nothing. Im not going to cry about it if someone really messes up the ship. As a commander its your choice what you do with your ship and any damage done to the CC is the commanders fault.. Mabey I was being a little off saying "cloaking is for losers".. Heh that was me expressing my opinion Im not going to flame anyone I see who uses cloak, I just dont intend on using it- ever.

quote:

It would be just as arbitrary to say only losers use vagrants. Playing against real commanders is gonna be much different than playing the AI ships....I think you better learn to use that cloak as well as you can...or spend a lot of time as space debris

In my experience of the BC series and other peoples opinions vagrants seem to be one of the best types of STS msl's out there. If I were TALKING about mp then I would just say plain missels because it may end up that vag's are the WORST choice of msls to be using aganist a human player. Everyone may end up switching msls constantly depending on many differnt factors such as what type of CC the enemy is using, what kind of stragety is being used ect.

No I dont intend on using cloak very often (if not at all) in mp either.

quote:

Non-Valiant? WTF are you talking about? Your job is to accomplish your mission and try to preserve your people and assets....who said anything about being Valiant?

My mistake, I guess. I thought this was a simmulation of being a military commander.....not just a gamer going and getting his A$$ shot off because it "Kewl"

Like I said its just a game, in servers where your stats are wiped after a game who CARES what state your ship is in.. Its not going over to the next game so might as well go all out..

RP servers are different however, since your stats are supposedly saved you may not want to jump into battle like a crazed fool. People will be a little reluctant to be the first wave of ships aganist a space station that there is no time to siege. This would be ESPECIALLY true in BCO. No need to get mad over this.

Besides-- even in BCO I still wouldnt use the cloaking device--

BTW sorry SC about the sig I completely forgot about it. (I ment to fix it a LONG time ago but I forgot) Ill fix it ASAP

[ 03-15-2002, 11:26: Message edited by: Carl Burning ]

I'm not mad Carl I really appreciate that you're going to keep your CC visible so I can give your CE stuff to Fix. *grin*

I think your missing the point of what I'm trying to say. I'm saying picking one element out of the offensive and defensive arsenals that you are given as a Commander and then saying that the use of that element is for "losers" is just a foreign concept to me......If you were cheating in some way I could understand...but the cloaks are within the normal parameters of the game.

And while I do realize this is a game, when I play I'm going to try my best to win or at least do well.....and I will utilize every thing that I can to do so.

quote:

I'm not mad Carl I really appreciate that you're going to keep your CC visible so I can give your CE stuff to Fix. *grin*

I think your missing the point of what I'm trying to say. I'm saying picking one element out of the offensive and defensive arsenals that you are given as a Commander and then saying that the use of that element is for "losers" is just a foreign concept to me......If you were cheating in some way I could understand...but the cloaks are within the normal parameters of the game.

And while I do realize this is a game, when I play I'm going to try my best to win or at least do well.....and I will utilize every thing that I can to do so.

I will enjoy snooping around the region looking for cloaked people like you..

Im interested in hearing how everyone would go about on 'the hunt' for someone cloaked in a region.

quote:

only losers use cloak--- be a man (or woman) and rush in there without cloaking and start some

real fighting! get some battle scars! Dont you find it boring having all systems green all the time?

loser!!! holy sh!@ buddy i'm at war!!! those f@#$ers are going to kick my !ss if i give them the chance

For the safety of my ship and crew I will use all resouces available to me to myself

to get the JOB DONE

if you like to have your pta sys down and your launch bay's inoperable and watch a man of war jump into the system after a battle and hit reload after they turn you into a single cargo pod for retrival

GO FOR IT BUDDY

Battle scars, I got those to, which is why I chose to gain the upper hand in a fight

and any good commander will tell you the best element in any battle is the element of SURPRISE!!! And actually I don't find it boring to have all systems green I find it

satisfying to know that I have won the battle in a big fashion and I'm walking away

with a craft in tow destined for the junk yard (and that's only if I show the enemy

compassion and don't just blast him to oblivion)!!!

And if your in BCO someday and somebody on the deck say's "there's something out there"

you'd better fear for BYTOR is near and I'm commin' for ya

SC: Got em Both Working now (I'm not very computer savy)Working on thst sig+Sys specs

[ 08-11-2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Buzz ]

It's in the game... it's fair to use. Even Klingons used their cloaking devices. The Japanese used Ninja. Their castles had all sorts of alarms and deterents. They were a very real threat.

As far as hunting them, you'd have to wait for the static discharge and try and spot them, or wait for them to fire. You could always do a Crazy Ivan. Russian submarine manuver where you turn suddenly to try and see behind you. This tactic in BCM would make you an unpredictable target. Also keeping your EMD on at the first sign of a static discharge would keep the missles off your back, but also blind you. Your best tactic would be to have the fleet travel as a group for mutual protection when they do uncloak. They can only keep the thing on for a limited time, which is your best option. Wait them out.

quote:

Originally posted by CedricB:

on another note... now that stations engage targets at the same distance that you jump in at (i.e. you hyperjump to a station only to get blasted while coming out of warp) does anyone have a good idea on how to approach them?

Yes. Approach them very carefully and cloacked.

Guest Grayfox

see? no one looks at us ground pounders for any other marines out there take heed...

1)keep your head on a swivel

2)move... a moving target is harder to hit

3)pray to god to remove the buttons of your uniform so you can crawl closer to the ground

4)Pain is just weakness leaving the body

5)never ever ever never leave someone you are covering to get a few kills for yourself... protect eachother.

6)Cover and concealment... there is a difference. a bush is concealment (conceals you from sight) a brick wall is cover

7)listen to your damn platoon leader/sgt they have the rank for a reason (if theyre a meathead itll show when they get killed first off )

just some MP thoughts

quote:

As far as hunting them, you'd have to wait for the static discharge and try and spot them, or wait for them to fire. You could always do a Crazy Ivan. Russian submarine manuver where you turn suddenly to try and see behind you. This tactic in BCM would make you an unpredictable target. Also keeping your EMD on at the first sign of a static discharge would keep the missles off your back, but also blind you. Your best tactic would be to have the fleet travel as a group for mutual protection when they do uncloak. They can only keep the thing on for a limited time, which is your best option. Wait them out.

Heh just mine the jumpgates-- If hes bigger than you id suppose after the crew has a nice green glow he will uncloak and turn you into space dust- or if its smaller I suppose id take a chance and go for the jumpgate or planetfall--.

quote:

on another note... now that stations engage targets at the same distance that you jump in at (i.e. you hyperjump to a station only to get blasted while coming out of warp) does anyone have a good idea on how to approach them?

Well, cant do this in BCM but in BCO or whatever you could get a bunch of SFM's and send em out there to gain entry and crash the party. Then while the stations marines are taking care of the little problem regarding 80+ sfm's painting the walls beam some mim's & efm's on to engineering along with the CE and some sys eng's to mess with power settings.. Eheh after that if the station didnt surrender jump in with a couple of large ships and then the station should be yours.

But since that isnt happening in BCM-- then I suppose one should attack with a fleet head on and takeover the station. (I simply LOVE the idea that stations are this hard to kill now!)

As for cloaking-- im still saying BAH! to it..

[ 03-19-2002, 17:47: Message edited by: Carl Burning ]

Carl... SFM's don't have HJ capablility. If you wish to attack a station, now that they can actually defend themselves, without cloak... go right ahead. I hope you enjoy watching your CC blow up as the first wave of marines are launched.

Eclipse, I know that. Where did I say that you use one ship to attack?

Most stations have 15 sfm's that outnumbers your average joe supercarrier's sfm compliment by 5. Id also imagine in BCO that there will be a stronger force inside to tackle(or not).

Actually it might be a good idea to use cloak if you want to have some fun and not get too messed up while you launch marines and go along with..

As for cloaking-- I STILL say BAH! to it.

even if I get messed up in the process