The Quick Planetfall Escape Manuver

CedricB

Check this out.... I don't know if it has been discussed yet.

If you are closer than HyperJump minimum range to a planetoid, if you target the planet and initiate a jump, it will ask if you want to make planetfall.

If you say yes, you will immediately teleport to the planet and make planetfall!

Good way to get away from an enemy station when you're getting whacked pretty hard.

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

yeah, i was wondering about that. how can the ship planetfall from like 500k with HJ but u can to fly to less than 100k and also make planet fall

If you actually understood how it worked - and read the manual - you would have the answer to this question.

It has NOTHING to do with the distance to the planet. If the target is a planet, you are ASKED if you want to establish planetfall. This was done in order to make entering a planet a one-step process, rather than a two-step process.

Previously, you would have to jump to the planet, drop out of range of its gravitational pull - and then fly toward it manually until you breached it.

With this method, you can still jump to the planet and if you don't want to establish planetfall, you just say NO. doh!

I don't even know why I have to explain something so simple, obvious and idiot-proof. Damn n00bs.

quote:

Originally posted by Shadow_Wolf33:

note: whenever a person makes something that is idiot proof. A new breed of idiots will emerge to show them their error in thinking that something can be idiot proof.

heh, tell me about it.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Shadow_Wolf33:

note: whenever a person makes something that is idiot proof. A new breed of idiots will emerge to show them their error in thinking that something can be idiot proof.

A Darwinist could probably use this to show that there is an environmental pressure to promote the "idiot gene" that has a positive benefit to humanity as a whole - ie making people design society's tools better.

Or maybe not.

Smiley