Ship to ship combat: easier than I thought?

kschang

Is it me, or is ship to ship combat in BCM a bit easier than I imagined?

So far here's my usual tactic:

Arm PTA to 100% against ships, 50% or 30% against fighters. Arm main guns to same ratio.

Use A/P to get into range.

Use mouse controls to keep ship pointed at enemy ship. When in range, just HOLD DOWN the mouse button and try to keep the nose on the reticule, AND match speed. If he launches missiles, I weave with AB and turn on EMD for 3 seconds, then resume course.

What happens then is the enemy ship will fire some shots head-on. But under AI control it fires about 1 shot per second, whereas if I hold down the button I pump out about 3-4 times as much shots, more if I detuned my guns. The result is he loses most his shields whereas I still has mine.

Then I turn and get on his six, and then he's history, as I now pour fire into him in point-blank range.

Against fighters things gets a bit dicier as they can out maneuver you, so the lower gun settings mean you can pump MORE shots out. The idea is make him fly through a STREAM of fire. SOMETHING is bound to hit him on his strafing passes, but usually one or two fighters can't do you enough damage.

I know I can't fight two or three or four fighters at once (though I think I just took out 3 Mk 1 Interceptors last night), but that's what I do. So far, the plan works perfectly.

So, what did I miss?

it's usually not the one or two enemies you kill at first that gets you, just the wave upn wave of reinfocements and those blasted cloaked ships popping out at inopportune time... usually right about the time you hear the "we've run out of plutonium" message and the nearest friendly station is about 5 jumps away.

Hmmm... Good point. I was trying to attack the Insurgent base at Lennen / Sirius, and I decided to take out the ODS first. The base launched no less than 8 fighters, like 3 came after me, and the rest went after a different ship that jumped in later. I took out the ODS, and the fighters never really hit me. I just do some random weaving from side to side, up and down, circle... and the shots stop coming... Hmmm...

SC is right, AI needs "solid lock" to shoot, but the human does not.