Do you think space battles are easy?

light_gemini

This is my first post so.... HELLOW EVERYBODY!

Well, for the ones who feel space combat is easy because of low AI oponents, try this :

1)Put the autopilot on with the AI option.

2)Try to command your ship using ONLY the options of the menu,like if you were giving orders to the flight officer instead of piloting yourself.

3) When you engage the enemy try to refrain yourself from switching the autopilot off.(Its hard but its possible )

4) To do evasive maneuvers simply order the ship to target other enemy or have some waypoints already created and use the Resume waypoints order.( to avoid your ship enter in those nasty frontal passes)

5)Remember that inside the orders menu the time freezes,so you can think a little your tactics and what to do.

6) Try to make the tacops screen your home.It gives you a better combat awareness than the bridge view.

Doing this you will fight in the same conditions with the enemy, because both your ship and the enemy ship are using similar AI (except for the AI level of course). You will realise how difficult can be to survive an engagement, and will start to think twice before entering any fight (the way it should be I think)

Open fire like mad with the ship┬┤s guns is easy,but to let your crew do the job can be very challenging.

Please feel free to post your opinion or your experience. Thank you

Welcome to the forum GhostPilot

Lemme add a little bit

Your advice is good for any newbie BCM Player

However for us vets we preatty much now all the loops and such of the AI and how to get around there little sneaky tactics (except the gammulens... damn them they STILL trick me despit the fact that I've been fighting them LONGER than any other race in this game)

Plus, when your officers get to a certain AI level you don't really need to control them at all. Just hit Autopilot and watch the show thats how I do it sometimes

However the situation should be changed if you go up against MORE than one enemy ship (most of my battles range from 2-5 enemy capital ships now) its easy yes, however against an EXPERIENCED AI Opponent you can find yourself hanging on to life by a string, Your own officers AI is only 50% effective against an enemie AI since your officers relie mostly on you to give them orders and such

Think of it this way

On a ground ops, a squad of 5 marines with no squad leader will 90% of the time get killed off before they even reach the eneme base's 1st line of defense

Where a squad with an experience squad leader will make it into the base and cause hell

Your ships performance is based on how well YOU perform.

Anywho just relaying my experiences, might be wrong a few area's.. hehe arn't we all?

------------------

However the situation should be changed if you go up against MORE than one enemy ship (most of my battles range from 2-5 enemy capital ships now) its easy yes, however against an EXPERIENCED AI Opponent you can find yourself hanging on to life by a string, Your own officers AI is only 50% effective against an enemie AI since your officers relie mostly on you to give them orders and such

-----------------------

Mmmmh, well I didnt see things that way.You are right.

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by GhostPilot:

for the ones who feel space combat is easy because of low AI oponents

Wait until you've been playing for a while, have taken over several stations, The Enemy's AI begins to adjust for your tactics, you are deep in Gammulan territory as your stations all fall back into enemy hands and you have nowhere to resupply, then tell me it's easy!