Less time in dry dock

Tinjaw

I was on duty last night when Ensign Shraydder stopped by the bridge. He asked if I had a few minutes to chat. I wasnÔÇÖt doing much and I remembered some personnel report mentioning he was sent to some ÔÇ£Field Expedient System EngineeringÔÇØ conference held at some experimental repair station on Pluto. I wanted to ask him if it was worth the Radine traveling there. It turns out that was exactly what he wanted to chat about.

He said he didnÔÇÖt learn much from the talks because it was mostly pie-in-the-sky ÔÇ£forward thinkingÔÇØ crap from the Science Institute Think-Tankers. ÔÇ£It all looks good on paper,ÔÇØ he said, ÔÇ£but this was about Field Expedient measures. These guys spend all day in a lab. They donÔÇÖt know jack about the field.ÔÇØ The good news was that he got a lot of good information after hours talking to some of the other system engineers. He particularly liked one tidbit he picked up from a guy the other engineers called ÔÇ£ShiftyÔÇØ.

Shifty was tasked with getting the amount of time cut to a minimum that a ship had to stay docked during repairs. After some wheeling and dealing he was able to get around that SOP that requires engineers to finish repairs on one of the shipÔÇÖs systems before they can get the parts for the next repair. He talked to some clerk after a few beers and found out the parts depot doesnÔÇÖt actually process the paperwork until the night shift. So what he did was send in one of his SEs to go get parts and head back to the CC and begin repairs. Then he sends another to get parts for a second job, and a third SE for a third job, etc. But after the tenth SE returns with the parts, he tells the first SE to stop what he is doing and go get parts for the eleventh job, and so on down the line. Since all the paperwork was sitting in some in-basket they didn't realize we couldn't possibly have finished the earlier repairs. He does this until he has gotten the parts for all of the jobs he needs. Then they leave port and do the repairs while traveling because at that point all they need is labor since they have gotten all the parts from the station.

I told him to have the Chief do that next time we docked. He did and it looks like it worked. We got all the parts we needed for free from the stationÔÇÖs parts warehouse and did the repairs while traveling to our next station. The repairs took just as long, but we didnÔÇÖt have to spend all our time docked at the station.

IÔÇÖm not sure if it will work every time, but from now on, that is our SOP. Why donÔÇÖt you guys try it and see if you get the same results.

Done this before... I just stay at the dock. I don't go out 'looking for trouble' with a ship under repairs, and you can use the dock time to take EVERYONE off duty to freshen up for you next order of business. (I wish the dock gave you more than TEN sysengineers though. Supercarriers give you TWENTY. You'd think a station would assign you more if you needed them.) Just watch some TV while your ship undergoes repairs.

Yes, but letting your own Engineers repair it helps them get smarter, and when they get smarter, they get faster! In fact, I would recommend this method myself. Just keep close to the station if you're heavily damaged and you should be pretty ok; little can survive an attack from a stations weapons.

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm damaged in a way that I don't feel like travelling, I like to use repair time to train my ground troops. I park next to Wraith or GCHQ (after getting parts as described above), and do some quick hit and runs on enemy bases via teleporters, so you can pull them out quick. I guess you could hop in an interceptor and take the boys out on patrol to train Pilots, too.

If im ever in the SOL system needing repairs I find its a good use of time to land on Mars and deploy yourself in an OC and go dune jumping.

If im feeling competitive I put Resnig and some of his stupid marines into other OC's and set a circular course of waypoints around the CC and then challenge them to a 15 lap race around it

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Yes, but letting your own Engineers repair it helps them get smarter, and when they get smarter, they get faster! In fact, I would recommend this method myself. Just keep close to the station if you're heavily damaged and you should be pretty ok; little can survive an attack from a stations weapons.

But do they also get smarter than the station's engineers? Cause a cruiser doesn't have a lot of engineers...

I THINK the station engineers have a fixed AI, what it is set at I dont know, but im sure you can get your onboard engineers to exceed this level ( as long as it is not 100, then the answer is no ).

Besides you really need to use your own engineers to increase their AI, because you will be thankful for it in a crippled CC, and those life support systems really do need to come back on-line ASAP.

quote:

Originally posted by BombFox:

If im feeling competitive I put Resnig and some of his stupid marines into other OC's and set a circular course of waypoints around the CC and then challenge them to a 15 lap race around it

Dang. You learn something new almost every day. And what an idea for multiplay.

quote:

If im ever in the SOL system needing repairs I find its a good use of time to land on Mars and deploy yourself in an OC and go dune jumping.

That's just plain old COOL.

quote:

Dang. You learn something new almost every day. And what an idea for multiplay.

I can assure you Marvin its quite fun, and applying this to multiplay would be pretty damn cool.

Hmmmm fleet racing comes to mind.

Its amazing the things you can think of trying whilst your waiting for your ship to repair, shame last night I decided to shoot my own ship with a wrist laser with sheilds down thinking nothing would happen, I had infact caused a fair amount of damage, nothing serious, but still....

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Time for a newbie moment...

I am depressed all ready just asking this.

Who is Resnig -.-