Some of my ways of passing time In-Game

tb87670

We all have those moments where we need to have extensive repairs or upgrades that take time, plenty of time for a game that is, so we all need ways to pass the time while engineers do their work. The following is some of the stuff I do to pass time, but UCSE and all previous and future variants of it have almost infinite possibilities of what you can do. So get creative if you want.

One thing I do is take a tour of the galaxy on a shuttle. I get a marine as a pilot, load up a buggy (you can load a tank if it makes you feel safer, more confident, bigger downstairs, etc.)and I go cruising. When in space I usually fly the shuttle myself, but if I have the need to explore a moon or planet, I switch the shuttle to autopilot, turn on Tacops comp, and order the shuttle where I want to be dropped off in my OC and where the shuttle will wait for me. When I hit the ground, drive around and have fun, explore, of even conquer a base if you feel like it.

Another thing I do to pass time is plan massive ground ops if I have control of my launch bay and get rid of an insurgent base (I'm Terran Military usually) or two, depending on how much time I got until my ship is fixed. I might even just go ahead and jack a tank or fighter instead of watching others have fun by teleporting my AE next to any vehicle I choose. I prefer teleporting to a building and sniping any infantry that would kill or bug my marines on ground ops.

The next few ways to pass time are the most productive money wise. First the simple one, get in a fighter and take down some enemy freighters, and use a shuttle to pick up the pods or tow back the disabled ship. The slightly more complicated way is to deploy Mining Drones to the closest moon or planet, then you can raid nearby ships like I said above. Doing these things yourself is more fun than ordering someone else to do it for you, unless you think you need to be aboard just in case of emergencies. Up to you.

So far I was assuming you were playing a commander of a ship, but if you are a planetary defence pilot or marine, check out your surroundings, get in a DJP and check out other bases, essentially keep moving and hope that a battlecruiser will show up and make your day. Nothing much more to do in the enlisted careers (I'm going into the Army, and I hope I don't see action, but this is a game, action is its BLOOD! BRING ON THE PAIN!!) and if you get bored as an enlisted man, be a commander, much more to do.

Any other ideas are welcome.

• 1 month later...

Tip...When you get in a fighter to destroy freighters, load a marine in a shuttle to pick up the pods and tow, that way u can keep going after new prey.

Or you could go CC surfing thats always fun

• 4 months later...

That is a much better way to spend your off time that what I did.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61208447@N00/...57603152962171/

The silly pictures show my mis-adventures of rescuing shuttles with my carrier after I sent the shuttles in to a war zone to pick up mining drones. It wasn't a warzone when I dropped the drones, but I guess all the shuttle activity upset the residents of the nearby insurgent base. Set a waypoint over the ocean for the CC and let the A/P take me in, unfortunately it wanted to play submarine. Wasn't very damaged, but could not get out of the water either. Launched the damaged shuttles that were nearby to tow me out, they could not quite do it, but they could dock with me underwater. Eventually I got into shuttle 4 myself and towed the thing out into the sky, but could not find the code to egress back into space, argh. 'O' did not work like in BCMG but got me the nearest attacking target, so I thought, well I can't just hold here and get shot at while I look the correct command [didn't think to pause either] so I decide to land in the scrub brush near the beach whilst looking up the command in the printed manual. I let the carrier go a few feet inland only to have it plant itself a few feet under the dunes. Great. Land the shuttle and walk over to it, whilst being pursued by insurgent marines nearby. Standing on the beach, I could sense the ship, but not see it, but was still able to board and re-capture the remaining shuttles, still stuck in the sand. Found the correct command to egress on the keyboard sheet [duh] but still needed to get out of the sand, Ship was sound, just buried. Finally walked to the shuttle bay and popped out in the best looking one, turned on the tractor beam and wished with all my might. After a successful lock, pointed straight up, not bothering to look around, but seeing that my range to target did not go over 0.01 I sensed that I was okay, got over the altitude threshold, issued the orbital egress command and voila, into space. Once in space, docked the shuttle and went back to the bridge, darn SOS beacon is still going, dock at starbase, undock, still broadcasting SOS and all units are tagged in blue. Argh, friend or foe is out the window. Had my shuttle tow me to spacedock, no help, requested a tow thinking it would toggle the SOS off, nope. Ignored it and went about my business. Near Pluto this GAM/PRA catches up with my little newbie carrier and starts to tow me to the nearest starbase. argh again. It gets me there, and then self destructs. I still have this darn SOS beacon blaring to one and all that I am in distress. How do I turn this darn thing off? Back to manual I go...

B) Was able to turn off SOS for me walking around, but not for the ship. Oh well, resigned myself to forever being randomely towed to a station with that AE's capital ship...

...unless someone has a tip for me canceling the capital ship's SOS broadcast signal out.