Universal Combat - Its Now Official

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Cmdr Chavik, about "Singe" it is very explanative. My english is not so good (forgive me about that).

I have some questions about UC information (This is not clear for me, and, please SC if you could spend your time with me...), but I'm not sure about how do it, without a "bad" english language

1)The first question is : have I yet in UC, space flight sim ?

2)have We will a move transition between space and planetary surface ?

3) Roam flight are there ?

thanks a lot

quote:

Originally posted by LBM:

Just a few questions Derek about the new advanced AI.

We all know the game is not FP shoot-em-up orientated but how does the new AI fair up when conducting a ground assault?

Do enermy marines and tanks (etc..) provide a better challenge when under attack?

Also, how well in your opinion do friendly assets respond and carry out orders in regards to an assault?

Are you pleased with the new AI and does it meet with your expectations?

The new AI kernel has better and more advanced SA attributes. The new kernel also provides support for Intelligent Terrain Analysis. Its rubbish-speak that says characters know how to use assets that are within the game world. e.g. a marine will no longer try to run you down and kill you with bad breath. If there is a vehicle closeby, judging by the distance, he will grab it and give chase in it. Weird stuff like that.

quote:

Originally posted by almostpilot:

1)The first question is : have I yet in UC, space flight sim ?

2)have We will a move transition between space and planetary surface ?

3) Roam flight are there ?

thanks a lot

1. wot?

2. same as you do now

3. erm. yes

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The new AI kernel has better and more advanced SA attributes. The new kernel also provides support for Intelligent Terrain Analysis. Its rubbish-speak that says characters know how to use assets that are within the game world. e.g. a marine will no longer try to run you down and kill you with bad breath. If there is a vehicle closeby, judging by the distance, he will grab it and give chase in it. Weird stuff like that.

very cool. This is gonna be fun

quote:

Personally, I think Derek just figured out how to download his brain's engrams into the AI kernel.

quote:

Hopefully these throw more light on how this transpired.

WeeGee, there is nothing to be worried about. Just trust me.

Looking at the screen shots and reading your description of the new game all I can say is VERY COOL indeed. I don't think most of us on this board will put you into therapy over this either. I know I sure won't. Well at least not deliberately . As for your statement about being called a sell out you are not that at all. A sell out would be someone who develops a game for 2 years and at the last minute change the title and the game plot and the missions for a movie tie in. Yes I speak of Sea Dogs II. Now that is the definition of a sell out. All you did was mull over some outside ideas, which a lot of the times is a good thing, and thought it was a good idea and went for it. You still had the option of sticking to your guns and keep the game name the same. In other words, you made the decision that this would be better for the game along with some tweaks. Now if you had done a movie tie in as well, let's say PLAN 9 FROM OUTERSPACE, then ya'd have something to worry about . The only ones I can forsee giving you a hard time over this are your current and past critics with statements like "Derek is trying to pull over our eyes. Trying to disguise the BC game with name change" etc.. etc... etc... But I'm sure you already know this.

quote:

Originally posted by conker424:

as long as Resnig isnt so dumb, then im happy

Well, I heard along the grape vine that the first officer will now be a female named Resniga and she's a blonde!!! . Just kidding....

quote:

Originally posted by Huwie:

As a matter of fact, there was a game of Plan 9 From Outer Space, and it was bloody good, too.

Oh my god you're right!! Plan 9 From OuterSpace

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

Seriously, though, I think that this is a great idea. That last quote is really great to hear. I was kind of sad to hear that BCG was going to be the last Battlecruiser game, but now, with UC possibly becoming a new franchise, I'm not anymore. It's like all the good elements of all the previous Battlecruiser games (multi-genre gameplay in a seamless, persistent, open-ended simulated universe) made easier to use and to a wider audience. It's what I've always hoped for the series. I'm really excited about it, and glad to hear that Battlecruiser will live on, even if by a different name.

Long live Battlecruiser/Universal Combat, and long live 3000 A.D.!

It's called game evolution. Just keeps getting better and better as time goes on.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

Sweet!

They must know something that I don't. And since I have the code, well then...

The demo will be out in October - but it won't October as in next week October.

Well then that leaves us with the other three weeks to choose from. Knowing how you are about getting things right before release I'd say the fourth week in OCT. . Which is fine by me even if it gets pushed into a november release for the demo. Like you have said time and again "it's out when it's out".

Im looking forward to seeing this Demo, but am worried by some of the commment in the recent interviews(?) which kind of imply a little that SC's commitment to producing a MMORPG or MMOG or basically a persistant universe version of the game may be waining. and so it may be a good few years before we see it come of age.

Just my humble opinion thats all

Wow, a few months out of the loop and look what happens Well, who cares what SC calls it (as has been adequately expressed elsewhere); we all know this is a "Derek Smart Simulation".

BTW, the new UC box looks really cool. Hm...out of all the box art depicted on the product page here, I still vote the art on BCM:G best. There's just something about the simplicity of that black and orange contrast with that silver cruiser that looks good.

Looking forward to the demo.

quote:

Originally posted by Telson Darv:

which kind of imply a little that SC's commitment to producing a MMORPG or MMOG or basically a persistant universe version of the game may be waining. and so it may be a good few years before we see it come of age.

erm, thats not true at all. In fact, there is an upcoming interview at gamegossip.com which sheds more light on this. My plan is simple, get UC out of the way; finish/ship the XBox title by 2004 holidays, focus on the MMOG title and hopefully get it sorted for 2005 holidays.

Thank you SC,

I was a little worried, but 2005 isn't too bad.

It just seemed from the emphasis on the Xbox title, the tone was a little "time to move on" rather than "show EA & CCP how to do it properly"

go on give us a clue when the UC Demos due (ok tell us the exact date if I'm honest), the anticipation is killing me.

(next bit probably totally off topic but...)

please please please include proper stn or property ownership for players, walking round stations, station design and lots of other yummy stuff. in the mmorpg type thinggy

• 2 weeks later...

This thread was created for the discussion of UC until it's release. The next person to create a new topic asking about this feature or that - when you can just post it in this thread or over here - is going to have his posting rights revoked.