POLL - Save Game Compliance

Supreme Cmdr

OK, we all know that most people don't frigging read. And when they DO read, they try very, very hard to ignore EVERYTHING they've read.

Here's the deal.

The 1.0.06 final patch is ready. Previously, I had opted to include a version of files which allow users to install the defense update (check the VCF) at a later date if they didn't want to invalidate their saved games.

However, there are one or two other items which won't be activated (e.g. the personnel filter in the CVD) unless you started a new game. And one which MAY cause problems (the fix related to the incorrect mzone locations).

The 1.0.06 (FULL) patch would not be backward compatible with 1.0.05 saved games.

However, the 1.0.06 (UPDATE) patch would not include any data files which would invalidate 1.0.05 saved games. Instead, I was planning on adding a separate zip file to this patch which would allow users (especially those who have had a long career in 1.0.05) to apply this update at a later date.

The NIGHTMARE I see evolving is a classic case we've seen here. e.g. when someone reports a problem, we have to find out which version he is running.

Also, the multiplayer patch is going to have a brand new file format anyway (fleet servers only, of course - since you can't save mp games) and will include all these updated files for clients (or you won't be able to connect).

So, while my first impulse is to NOT release two versions, I'd like to see the responses on this subject, before I make a final decision. Bear in mind that, regardless of the outcome, I have veto powers.

Guest Grayfox

so the question is do you want the patch save game compliant. yes means that you want the patch that will let you keep your 1.0.0.5 career and use the additional zip file to add the extra stuff at a later date, or no meaning give me the whole burrito and screw it if i cant use my old 1.0.0.5 save game.

in my case i vote no, because i had to uninstall to put in my new HDD, my previous save game was already corrupted, so i have to start over anyways, i figure i might as well wait for the patch-ola

Guest Grayfox

coolness. that is easy. even my nuckle dragging arse could do it

---Edit---

god i cant believe i spelled knuckle wrong... thats what i get for posting right after i get off of work... need brains... they make the pain go away

[ 02-27-2002, 10:21: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I am going to be including the 1.0.05 compliance patch in the 1.0.06 patch. Since it is unsupported, I don't expect anyone to come crying to me if something goes wrong.

And if someone does, heaven help them.