Battlecruiser Millennium Gold Announced!

Supreme Cmdr

Ok, how high are you willing to go with this "fee"? Have you thought about how this might create a multiplayer schism between those who can afford to shell out extra and those who keep BCM Unleaded? I mean, if we have to send in the manual and cdrom, then we can't play regular BCM with those who don't get the Gold...and I'm sure there will be quite a few in both camps...

...or maybe I'm overreacting.

quote:

Originally posted by XenoZohar:

Ok, how high are you willing to go with this "fee"?

As high as is commensurate for the amount of work done.

Plus, BCM would be out for a year when BCM Gold is released. So, I don't see what the big deal would be over an upgrade. Besides, I'm not compelling anyone to buy it. If someone doesn't want it, then, well, they shouldn't buy it. Simple enough I think, no?

quote:

Have you thought about how this might create a multiplayer schism between those who can afford to shell out extra and those who keep BCM Unleaded?

I gave it a moment's thought, then discarded it as irrelevant. See above.

There are LOTS of games with add-ons, sequels, prequels etc which do a great job of segregating owners of one version over another. The problem is what, exactly? If you have BCM you can't login to a BCM Gold server and vice versa. If you have BCM you can't play using BCM Gold assets (some file formats are different) etc etc

quote:

I mean, if we have to send in the manual and cdrom, then we can't play regular BCM with those who don't get the Gold...and I'm sure there will be quite a few in both camps...

Did I say anything about having to send in the manual? I didn't think so.

And did I say anything about BCM Gold being an upgrade CDROM? I didn't think so.

Now, put those two together and let me know what you come up with.

quote:

...or maybe I'm overreacting.

Decidedly so

quote:

There are LOTS of games with add-ons, sequels, prequels etc which do a great job of segregating owners of one version over another. The problem is what?

It divides the community. There's less players playing each game that if there was only 1 game. Yes other games do that too, and it sucks.

quote:

Originally posted by Unforgiven_Killer:

soo..all we have to do is give the people at EB our boxes with the CDROM and we'll get our copy of BCM Gold?...or has this not been fully worked out?

Which part the excerpt below from the products page, wasn't clear enough? Let me know and I'll expand on it.

quote:

Existing owners of BCM will be able to upgrade to BCM Gold (CDROM only) for a fee. Proof of ownership, e.g. the BCM CDROM, receipt or similar, will be required. More information about this offer will be posted once they have been finalized.

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

It divides the community.

Thats pure speculation. I have a Mercedes 500SL convertible and a BMW 325i convertable. My next door neighbor has an SUV. We're divided already.

I own over 3000+ games and rising, I know for a fact that the guy next door doesn't have that many (he's a consultant).

We're divided by what makes us who were are and what our priorities are. You don't want BCM Gold. Don't buy it. Stick with BCM. But if you want everything thats in BCM Gold and which *gasp* costs money, you have to, well, pay for it.

Simple I think. Some gamers think that this business of game development is cost and risk free.

The plan remains as-is and won't change. The first person to question it - again - will get banned without warning. I make the decisions, you just have to follow my lead or get the hell off my train ride. Either way, I'm still going to do what is in the best interest of my company, team and the majority of the people who buy and play my games.

[ 07-20-2002, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

I think that you will find that he is refering to the CD key, which came with your existing version of BCM. That alone proves that you bought the CD.

No it doesn't, because some people have been known to buy the game, pirate it, steal the CDKEY and return it to EB as if it was never opened. But them, I have plans for. Just wait until mp goes online and the game grabs the CDKEY during authentication.

The only acceptable POP will probably be the original BCM CDROM.

The price of BCM has been dropped to $19.99 with the announcement of Gold, so, there's no excuse not to get it now.

quote:

Originally posted by netshaman:

And if you had bought it on line ?

How can you show a proof of your purchase without sending your cd-rom if your cd key isn't sufficient ?

You can't

And will you ladies QUIT with the silly questions. I already posted above that when details are finalized, details of how the upgrade will work will be announced. Now which part of that statemen was written in Swahili?

As it stands, ONLY the original CDROM will be accepted as POP. PERIOD. END OF STORY. THATS IT.

If anything changes - highly unlikely - I'll be sure to post about it.

quote:

Originally posted by XenoZohar:

There are no silly questions, just people who read announcments at 4 in the morning, like me.

LOL!!! Good one that

I should've know one of you wise asses would stage a witty comeback. What the hell was I thinking?

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

What year is your 325i SC, miles? Do you have a manual or automatic?

'95, automatic, Red. approx. 40K miles. As new (I rarely drive).

/me waiting to beat up someone for taking this thread off-topic...

drats he noticed

*quickly flips the lever on his secret forum remote from "off topic" back to "on topic" and runs off giggling insanely*

with orb AND bcm gold comming im definately gunna have to get a better comp

[edit: mispelled insanely ]

[ 07-20-2002, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: insecttoid3 ]

BC gold sounds good to me, upgrades and MP in built(MP is all i care about(co-op...PvP drewwwwwwwwllllllllllll) ).... since I don't own BCM, I guess this deal was made for me!!

quote:

Originally posted by Rosko:

BC gold sounds good to me, upgrades and MP in built(MP is all i care about(co-op...PvP drewwwwwwwwllllllllllll) ).... since I don't own BCM, I guess this deal was made for me!!

That was part of the idea behind that. The fact is, had I not done the EB deal (which I do NOT regret doing), BCM would have had an International release. Intl. users had to order from the US and that ended up making the product cost more.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

That was part of the idea behind that. The fact is, had I not done the EB deal (which I do NOT regret doing), BCM would have had an International release. Intl. users had to order from the US and that ended up making the product cost more.

Does this mean I will be able to purchase BCgold form EBworld with out having to order it? Or is this un-decided?

Great news, sounds like its basically a new game and at that price I'm happy to buy it new for the manual. Hopefully my smashed arm will have recovered enough for me to play it - the accident has stopped me doing more than read the manual of BCM dag-nabit.