Multiplayer - Broadband or DialUP?

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Locutus:

since there's no real reliable way to do it.

Rubbish

Next!

quote:

Also, as someone who's played many MP games at 56k, I can say that most games with a reasonable amount of depth (like BCM) have roles for laggy players built in (like the Engineer in TFC, or the commander of a huge, iceberg-slow carrier in BCM). I, for one, will just play the role that fits my connection...

Bollocks.

Did it occur to you that the career selections are not cut and dry as TFC? No? I didn't think so.

I knew that the minute someone started voting against this initiative, it would be due to ignorance of the premise therein.

The only sensible point I've seen so far, is that made my Cmdr Lara... *no f*cking way I'm spelling that out!!*...wrt servers being broadband only. Even that has a solution, since you can find a server to play on. If not, well, your SOL. Life's tough....and you have an Radeon 7500 while someone else has a geForce Ti4600.

[ 06-20-2002, 10:09: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Well, it appears from the results of the poll that the point is moot.

When I played Air Warrior from a 56k connection I was always getting spanked by the guys running on the faster connections, even though they had the proverbial "smoothing code" built in, It didn't work as intended. After finally gaining access to the net via DSL those spankings were reversed, except for the guys who were running on T-1's and T-3's. They were the only bullies who could eat my lunch.

I see no valid arguement in desegregating connection speeds. Keeping the playing field level for all participants is the only way to maximize the experience for all. Otherwise you will have the typical "Elite Speed" players thrashing the slower connections to the point of losing interest. There is nothing more annoying than seeing a red screen of death when you think you are the only entity in the area. I for one could never buy that "He came at you from out of the sun" garbage.

For those who voted no I would strongly suggest you try learning a little more about the subject before going off half cocked.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

Well, it appears from the results of the poll that the point is moot.

When I played Air Warrior from a 56k connection I was always getting spanked by the guys running on the faster connections, even though they had the proverbial "smoothing code" built in, It didn't work as intended. After finally gaining access to the net via DSL those spankings were reversed, except for the guys who were running on T-1's and T-3's. They were the only bullies who could eat my lunch.

I see no valid arguement in desegregating connection speeds. Keeping the playing field level for all participants is the only way to maximize the experience for all. Otherwise you will have the typical "Elite Speed" players thrashing the slower connections to the point of losing interest. There is nothing more annoying than seeing a red screen of death when you think you are the only entity in the area. I for one could never buy that "He came at you from out of the sun" garbage.

For those who voted no I would strongly suggest you try learning a little more about the subject before going off half cocked.

Well said!

How will it fare if i have 3 computers on my network sharing my cable... I already have one i am going to dedicate to be a BCM multiplayer server, then the other two will be clients along with the rest of Intercorp... heh!

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

i'm sure Jaguar or LordDavid will have a Gammulan fleet server up.

Heh, I probably could set up a server using my University's internet connection (non dedicated unless someone wants to donate an extra computer). I sure am paying them enough to go there, might as well get some of my money's worth and put up a BCM server using their bandwith.

[ 07-13-2002, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: LordDavid ]

• 1 month later...
Guest Fox__Trot

The ONLY reason I would vote against it would be if its coded to kick someone off if they spike (feel very sorry for me im on shared 56k and I can be fine one moment and spikeing way up the next) and of course everyone saying broadband only is something i defintly see however somebody out there proably takes care of poor.. little.. .. 56k users