Gaming - The case for digital distribution

Supreme Cmdr

Well i wouldn't really like to buy a game online

as a)i don't feel comfortable with paying it online(i even don't have a credit card...well as i'm still student )

B)i really liked the packaging of universal combat,also i like a "painted"cd more than a cd-r

,so if i had to decide between a 20$ online download or a 50$ game with cd+packaging+manual i'd take the game for 50$

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've purchased many dozens of things online, including a fair number of downloadable games. I have never had a problem. I wish I could say the same for my physical purchases.

As long as the site you're buying from is secure--and pretty much all of them are these days--you have very little to worry about. It's infinitely easier for someone to steal your credit card info by looking over your shoulder in the store than it is for them to hack it from a secure site online.

However, if you don't have a firewall and don't know how to keep your info from being stored in a cookie, don't do it. Your chances of being hit are still low, but I don't want to be the guy who told you to go ahead if you do get ripped.

I have purchased only 1 game on line via download - Combat Command. My experience was positive. I was able to download it and burn it on a CD-ROM. It loaded and ran fine.

I have a number of games where the manual is on the disk. Depending on the game, having the manual in hand can be much preferable to having it on the disk. One such game I own is "Uncommon Valor". The company that published "Uncommon Valor" took the approach of setting up an arrangement with Kinkos so that you get a hard copy printed for a reasonably low cost, which I took advantage of.

Without the ability to "burn" the game to CD-ROM I would be worried about "losing" it and not being able to replace it in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

The bottom line for me is if it is the only to get a game that I really love (such as everything the Supreme Commander has published) then I will be the first in line. Bout time you got paid more appropriately for your efforts Supe!!

• 3 months later...

Wow. At the risk of sounding just like a fanboy, that was an interview displaying a puissant expression of ideology that is not seen often enough. Well met.

Since I can't tell you that eye to eye SC, you will probably have some doubt about my sincerity but I calls em' as I sees em'.

Oh yeah, if this next is off topic, slap me down. UCAWA will be available for download about.....?

quote:

Originally posted by Teknocack Prime:

Wow. At the risk of sounding just like a fanboy,

heh, don't worry, you're in good company. We're all fanboys

btw, there is a pretty good discussion about this going on here on AVault. It also discusses copy protection etc etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayson:

Not to mention my access to broadband is as dependable as my access to a gun.

Depending on where you live, that could be anywhere from VERY Dependable to Not so much

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Teknocack Prime:

Wow. At the risk of sounding just like a fanboy,

heh, don't worry, you're in good company. We're all fanboys

btw, there is a pretty good discussion about this going on here on AVault. It also discusses copy protection etc etc.

What cracks me up is the guy that says that his older games would run on his new machines if it weren't for Copy Protection. What an idiot, first, games like Privateer and Ultima Underworld that depended on DPMI (Dos Protected Mode Interface), won't run on Win2000 & XP Machines and second, most of those older games didn't have copy protection.

quote:

Originally posted by Darien Wolfe:

I think for me, I'm a maybe...and I love the manual/box in my paws, no really, I have paws.

*hide*

Seriously though, I recently got my Breed Ltd Edition and the Sourcebook was so cool, pity the game sucked due to editing...

h8 CDV!

I think the best thing would be to include a PDF of the manual and maybe offer a "Real" manual for an additional fee.

Well,I can understand every point counting for online distribution,but as I have said in the old thread it is quite difficult for those people that

a)don't trust electronic cash in general and especially via the internet

b)don't even have an EC-card

:/

quote:

People without driver's license shouldn't drive either.

I'm sorry but I don't get the relation between this and using a computer/buying software.

I didn't need an EC card/banking account until now for buying/using a computer or buying software.

[And I definetely won't kill anyone with not having an EC card,while this might be possible if driving without driving license.]

These days, there is no good reason to be afraid to buy online via credit card. Many, maybe even most, credit card fraud and identity theft happens to people who never put their credit card online. Your CC# is ALWAYS online, in some datbase somewhere just waiting for some hacker to grab it. Or in some dumpster outside some doctor's office written on a claim form waiting for someone to come pick it up. Or maybe lost by some idiot parcel carrier. The point is, you really are at no more risk buying online than if you don't. As always, abstinence is the best prevention!

• 2 weeks later...