Agreements with Dreamcatcher terminated

Supreme Cmdr

Quoted from GNN

quote:

In other news, while Universal Combat - A World Apart, the eagerly awaited sequel to the original 2004 game, went Gold on 04-15-05 for release this May, several issues with the publisher (Dreamcatcher) have not only held up the boxed retail release of that title, but also led to the termination of the agreement. As a result, Dreamcatcher no longer has those rights as they have now reverted back to 3000AD Inc. We are in the process of negotiating with other interested parties for the boxed retail rights to this product.

We also recently terminated the Battlecruiser Millennium Gold and Universal Combat agreement which we also had with this publisher. Those rights have also now reverted back to 3000AD Inc and a cease & desist has been issued to Dreamcatcher, advising them to stop any further production and marketing of these two games or face legal action under the DMCA and other copyright infringement laws.

This issue with Dreamcatcher does not affect the e-commerce download version of UCAWA, which we expect to have available within the coming weeks once all the server side preparations have been completed and tested with our e-commerce partners (e.g. Trymedia, BMT Micro and others) who will be carrying the product.

• 3 weeks later...

Following a letter from our attorney and notification of legal action from me, Dreamcatcher have now removed all UCAWA materials from their website and forums.

They have yet to remove the BCMG and UC materials because either they feel that we cannot terminate it (which we can and did) or are intending to settle (the only way thats going to happen is if they PAY us what they owe and sign documents preventing them from further cooking the books, not accurately reporting sales and royalties, sticking to the contract etc etc) the matter with my attorneys.

More info is forthcoming as it unfolds. Either way, this time around - unlike the fiasco over UC which cost me several thousands of lost earnings and them getting away with merely a slap on the wrist - I am fully prepared to see this to the very - bitter - end as I don't believe that Dreamcatcher is going to be in business much longer. At least not long enough to keep conducting business (at least with us) as they have been doing since we signed with them back in late 2002. The recent Dungeon Lords release fiasco is yet another example of the kind of people we're dealing with here. Unfortunately, other indies don't have the resources with which to prevent some publishers from doing crap like this and getting away with it; just because they can.

[ 06-03-2005, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]