LOTR - Return Of The King

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

I guess I'm going to have to bring a bottle to pee in.

Yeah I felt that effect later on during the movie watching the first showing and I only drank coffee to keep me awake! Overall, it was an awesome movie to wrap it all up and the extended dvd will be a keeper considering it will be even longer. The trailer of the Chronicles of Riddick got my juices flowing though. Gonna see this movie one more time baby!

10/10

Ok. Now. Let me tell you my backstory first. I decided to go to an 11:15PM showing of LOTR:RotK. I anticipated the showing letting out at 2:30AM. No biggie. Half way through the movie the projector breaks down! I didn't leave the movie until 4:00AM and I had to be at 7:00AM. I am typing this at 10:15AM, and I'm probably going to fall asleep.

Now, as hellish as that sounds. I have to say that it's NEVER in my life been more worth it. This was an OUTSTANDING ending to a great trilogy. I was very impressed with yet another awesome soundtrack, awesome scenery, and awesome storyline. It strayed from the books quite blatantly again but it really was great. I highly recommend this movie and it most definetly gets a 10/10. Go see this movie as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed.

Guest Grayfox

saw this one today... man oh man, what a great friggin movie. i agree, an excellent end to an excellent trilogy. of course there were deviations from the book, but that is to be expected with a trio of films of this magnitude.

overall, peter jackson has done a fine job of adapting the books to the screen... elves fighting at helms deep withstanding... and ill probably see this a few more times in theaters.

*sigh* this cant come out on DVD fast enough...

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

saw this one today... man oh man, what a great friggin movie. i agree, an excellent end to an excellent trilogy. of course there were deviations from the book, but that is to be expected with a trio of films of this magnitude.

overall, peter jackson has done a fine job of adapting the books to the screen... elves fighting at helms deep withstanding... and ill probably see this a few more times in theaters.

*sigh* this cant come out on DVD fast enough...

Peter Jackson said he was going to change things a bit for all the people that know the story inside and out to add an air of mystery to the story line instead of making it just a cut and paste of the LOTR book. Haven't seen this one yet but will shortly. Glad to hear from all of you that it's not a disaster.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Outlaw:

The trailer of the Chronicles of Riddick got my juices flowing though. Gonna see this movie one more time baby!

wot?!?! They're showing the trailer already? Is it online anywhere?!?

lol Chronicles of Riddick

i'm definetely not going to miss this one(ROTK that is lol)

PJ is now realizing his lifelong dream of remaking King Kong. Currently there are no plans to make a Hobbit movie. IMO, I hope it dosn't happen, since I doubt PJ will have anything to do it - it would be a disaster.

As for ROTK - I don't understand why people keep calling this the best in the trilogy. I would have to strongly disagree... I think Fellowship was, far and away, the best of the three... in Extended form, Fellowship just blows TT and ROTK out of the water.

Much like the last two theatrical releases I felt ROTK was just too darn punctuated to really tell the story. The movie drags in places - a result of the pacing being way off (There was obviously a lot of content cut to keep the movie to a watchable theatrical length). I have the utmost faith that the Extended Edition will fix all those problems... as the others have.

My biggest quibbles are technical (MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD): Being able to see the latex glue holding on Aragorn's beard, a scene where you see down Frodos shirt at the end and you can see bright as day where the makeup on his arm stops, some bits where CG was used to such an extent that the scene seemed almost cartoonish (Legolas on the Oliphaunt)... and the devestation on Pelenor fields after the battle. Not one spot of blood despite bodies littering the ground everywhere. There are multiple scenes where midgets were used as stand-ins for the hobbits and the tricks are done so cheaply that it's obvious. This is especially bad with Bilbo at the end, where you only see the back of his giant, oversized, latex head as he waddles onto the boat (although he never waddled when he walked a second ago)... and he never looks back (to say goodbye or anything), he just stands with his back facing the camera. That's sloppy. Then there are the multiple false endings. After two, the audience was afraid to clap for fear it wasn't actually over... and it wasn't.

But all in all it was a pretty good blockbuster-quality movie. I've just been spoiled by the EE DVDs and was expecting something more... complete. But as I've said before, I've given the same story for each movie. IMO, this one was a little more rough and sloppy than the last two. Methinks PJ may have been getting sick and tired of LOTR and lost the passion necessary to impart that extra bit of polish and emotion. IMO, this is actually the weakest of the trilogy... with the first being the best and the second being the second best. It also seems that with each new movie the number of technical flaws grows exponentially. Just my thoughts.

7/10

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

PJ is now realizing his lifelong dream of remaking King Kong. Currently there are no plans to make a Hobbit movie. IMO, I hope it dosn't happen, since I doubt PJ will have anything to do it - it would be a disaster.

As for ROTK - I don't understand why people keep calling this the best in the trilogy. I would have to strongly disagree... I think Fellowship was, far and away, the best of the three... in Extended form, Fellowship just blows TT and ROTK out of the water.

Much like the last two theatrical releases I felt ROTK was just too darn punctuated to really tell the story. The movie drags in places - a result of the pacing being way off (There was obviously a lot of content cut to keep the movie to a watchable theatrical length). I have the utmost faith that the Extended Edition will fix all those problems... as the others have.

My biggest quibbles are technical (MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD): Being able to see the latex glue holding on Aragorn's beard, a scene where you see down Frodos shirt at the end and you can see bright as day where the makeup on his arm stops, some bits where CG was used to such an extent that the scene seemed almost cartoonish (Legolas on the Oliphaunt)... and the devestation on Pelenor fields after the battle. Not one spot of blood despite bodies littering the ground everywhere. There are multiple scenes where midgets were used as stand-ins for the hobbits and the tricks are done so cheaply that it's obvious. This is especially bad with Bilbo at the end, where you only see the back of his giant, oversized, latex head as he waddles onto the boat (although he never waddled when he walked a second ago)... and he never looks back (to say goodbye or anything), he just stands with his back facing the camera. That's sloppy. Then there are the multiple false endings. After two, the audience was afraid to clap for fear it wasn't actually over... and it wasn't.

But all in all it was a pretty good blockbuster-quality movie. I've just been spoiled by the EE DVDs and was expecting something more... complete. But as I've said before, I've given the same story for each movie. IMO, this one was a little more rough and sloppy than the last two. Methinks PJ may have been getting sick and tired of LOTR and lost the passion necessary to impart that extra bit of polish and emotion. IMO, this is actually the weakest of the trilogy... with the first being the best and the second being the second best. It also seems that with each new movie the number of technical flaws grows exponentially. Just my thoughts.

Ok.. you need to go straight to the back of the line or get on the short yellow School bus....

First of all you are wrong about the Hobbit. Jackson and his people are in negotiations right now to get the legal stuff done to make it afdter Kong. Will it happen for sure? No.However, its being worked on to become a reality even right now and Jackson is directly involved.

I have seen it Twice... And i donÔÇÖt agree with any of your "supposed" criticisms. I donÔÇÖt remember seeing any "Glue", I think the Hobbits including Bilbo looked fine at the end. I donÔÇÖt remember seeing a scene "where the make up showed". He was really dirty through most of the flick in the fist place. The Special effects were fine and none of them were done Cheaply. Flapping your lips about cheap special effects and Gollum is the most fantastic CGI character ever created. ItÔÇÖs ridiculous. Sure some of the scenes in massive combat looked a little CGI. this happens in ALL MOVIES. because there is only so much you can do.

This was the best movie of the series and maybe you should check out the extended version of TT as you seem to only understand the extended version exists for the fist one. By the way... What the hell are you comparing the "extended" DVD version to the Theatrical releases of the other movies anyway... ROTK is going to have an extended version with 40 extra min of footage.

I swear... no actually

<-------- X 25

Just got home from viewing this one. All I can say is BRAVO to Mr Jackson and the entire troop.

Excellent adaptation of an excellent book.

Can't wait for the DVD to complete my collection.

If you want to talk sloppy, watch the cartoon version that was done by Rankin/Bass. Yep same guys who brought us such greats as Rudolph etc etc.

For some odd reason R/B decided it would be cool to add a musical number near the end about Frodo's finger that Gollum bites off. LOL gimme a break, I almost spewed soda when I heard that garbage. ROtK is a must see!PJ's not R/B's

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Peter Jackson said he was going to change things a bit for all the people that know the story inside and out to add an air of mystery to the story line instead of making it just a cut and paste of the LOTR book

a bit??? putting the elves into the battle of helms deep was more than just a bit. but dont get me wrong... i thought it was a good change; just a bit drastic. either that or jackson couldnt think of a way to render the huorns. and i think leaving tom bombadil and the barrow wights (unless they were in the EE) out of the FOTR was a crime. the only person that was immune to the power of the one ring, and he gets left out lol.

it seemed as if the two towers was the one that differed the most from the book than the other two. a ton of inconsistencies, but you cant blame the man. he had a monumental task in taking a very popular story, and turning it into something that would be enjoyed by most everyone.

i did very much enjoy the trilogy and thought it was great.

quote:

and i think leaving tom bombadil and the barrow wights (unless they were in the EE) out of the FOTR was a crime. the only person that was immune to the power of the one ring, and he gets left out lol.

Hear, hear. I'll second that!

quote:

I donÔÇÖt remember seeing any "Glue",

It's where Aragorn kisses Arwen at the very end during his coronation. As soon as he turns his head the light reflects off of the glue for his mustache. No, it's not sweat, it's latex and has a very hard edge to it.

quote:

I donÔÇÖt remember seeing a scene "where the make up showed". He was really dirty through most of the flick in the fist place.

At the end when Frodo is hugging the other hobbits, you can see up his shirt sleeve. The pale white makeup ends and the rest of his arm is rosy-pink.

quote:

Gollum is the most fantastic CGI character ever created.

I wasn't debating about Gollum. The fighting with the army of undead was pretty lame... rather than Orcs fighting invincible undead ghosts they just kind of swept over everything like a stream sweeps over grains of sand. That was the easy solution. The scene where Legolas is climbing the Oliphaunt was quite fake... the animation was just too stiff (Biggest problem with CGI - as animation is hella hard). As they obviously couldn't motion cap Orlando Bloom climbing a giant war-elephaunt-thing they have to animate based 100% on their own skills... which were subpar, should have got some help from Pixar.

As for best of the three... it's still my opinion that Fellowship was best. Appreciate the journey more than it's conclusion... that's what I always say.

quote:

quote:

Peter Jackson said he was going to change things a bit for all the people that know the story inside and out to add an air of mystery to the story line instead of making it just a cut and paste of the LOTR book

a bit??? putting the elves into the battle of helms deep was more than just a bit. but dont get me wrong... i thought it was a good change; just a bit drastic. either that or jackson couldnt think of a way to render the huorns. and i think leaving tom bombadil and the barrow wights (unless they were in the EE) out of the FOTR was a crime. the only person that was immune to the power of the one ring, and he gets left out lol.

it seemed as if the two towers was the one that differed the most from the book than the other two. a ton of inconsistencies, but you cant blame the man. he had a monumental task in taking a very popular story, and turning it into something that would be enjoyed by most everyone.

i did very much enjoy the trilogy and thought it was great.

Agree. I was being rather conservative when I said a bit. I'm just glad to finally see the ending of the three books put on film. I waited so long since the Ralph Bakshi animated LOTR which call me crazy but I still like.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

It's where Aragorn kisses Arwen at the very end during his coronation. As soon as he turns his head the light reflects off of the glue for his mustache. No, it's not sweat, it's latex and has a very hard edge to it.

At the end when Frodo is hugging the other hobbits, you can see up his shirt sleeve. The pale white makeup ends and the rest of his arm is rosy-pink.

Well thanks a bunch!! Now when I go see the movie I'm going to be concentrating on what flaws I can see in it.

I guess as long as one doesn't see any microphone booms sticking down on the top of the screen the other flaws can be overlooked as not being over the top bad ones.

Scrivener

While I will absolutely respect your opinion of the movie, if you were watching close enough to see down Froddo's shirt, I think you were focusing on the wrong part of the movie.....

I go to the movies to enjoy what people invest years into making. Not to pick it apart.

Not to insult you, but I'm glad I don't see movies like you do. I'd never be able to enjoy myself.

Yeah, you should never want to see movies like I do. It's part of being an ex-english major+film/graphic arts student who reads too many books and sees too many movies. I can't help but focus on the technical aspects... it's all I do day in and day out.

I can also predict most stories with unnatural clairvoyant accuracy. A side effect of reading a book a week since age 7. This has made me bitter and elitist. *shrug* Yeah, I'm jaded and I hate everything, so take my reviews with that grain of salt.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Yeah, you should never want to see movies like I do. It's part of being an ex-english major+film/graphic arts student who reads too many books and sees too many movies. I can't help but focus on the technical aspects... it's all I do day in and day out.

I can also predict most stories with unnatural clairvoyant accuracy. A side effect of reading a book a week since age 7. This has made me bitter and elitist. *shrug* Yeah, I'm jaded and I hate everything, so take my reviews with that grain of salt.

Actually, I usually don't do what you do until the second are third time I watch a movie.

Usually after that, you start to notice things anyway in the movie more than the first time.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

The Huorns were in The Two Towers Extended Edtition.

ahhh good, i have yet to see the EE. but thats what got me... it should have been in the original release. i did like the elf twist, but the book part of me was screaming that it was all wrong.

Scrivener

quote:

It's part of being an ex-english major+film/graphic arts student who reads too many books and sees too many movies

That explain a lot though and I can understand why'd you'd catch those. Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt to have "trained" eyes though I imagine.

quote:

I can also predict most stories with unnatural clairvoyant accuracy. A side effect of reading a book a week since age 7. This has made me bitter and elitist

Hehe, I hear that. I have to really work at making my brain stop thinking while watching a movie or else I'll sit there and try to predict it. I've read books all my life too so I know what you mean there. It sometimes seems like all movies have the same ending in a way...

quote:

Yeah, I'm jaded and I hate everything, so take my reviews with that grain of salt.

Earlier I said I would hate it if I picked movies apart like that....but....I think I just picked your post apart. I'm going to go sit down now. :grins: