Farscape vs. Babylon 5

Spindoktor

First, Merry Christmas.

Just curious what you guys think. I love the Babylon 5 series but for some reason, ignored Farscape altogether. Until now...

The wife got me the Farscape 1st season DVD set. I know there is controversy surrounding this series due to the fact that they cut production before completing it. But is it as good as B5? Better? I'll be finding out soon enough, but I respect your opinions on this subject.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

First, Merry Christmas.

Just curious what you guys think. I love the Babylon 5 series but for some reason, ignored Farscape altogether. Until now...

The wife got me the Farscape 1st season DVD set. I know there is controversy surrounding this series due to the fact that they cut production before completing it. But is it as good as B5? Better? I'll be finding out soon enough, but I respect your opinions on this subject.

I've tried watching Farscape but it just didn't do anything for me character and story wise. However, Babylon 5 held me through it's entire story line from the first episode to the last from Capt. Sinclair to Capt. Sheriden.

I liked both, but to me there is no comparison B5 was the best pure sci fi series I've seen. I love Star Trek in all its incarnations, but B5 fits together to tell a more epic saga than anything save DS9, which I think benefited from being in competetion with B5.

Farscape was imaginiative and intelligently written but not as accessible as B5. It also didnt have the same quality of actors as B5. The actors who portrayed G'kar and Londo were worth seeing by themselves.

I'm a fan of both shows. While I'm a Star Trek fanatic for life, most of those shows lacked the quality of story arcs that took the characters through change that affected them in later seasons, aside from DS9 as aforementioned. I loved B5 because of its 5 year long story-arc that took the characters through sweeping worlds of change. Just look at Londo in season 1 vs. season 5. In season 1 he was happy go lucky, but he didn't have everything he wanted. By season 5 he had what he wanted, only to realize that he didn't want it in the first place. The great acting and storyline are what made that show what it was.

On the other hand, Farscape is more of a comedy than drama. I didn't watch it for the drama, though it did have it via Crais and Scorpious, but for the funny moments provided by things like Harvey and Areyn's attempts to learn the English language and getting it wrong. It's kind of like SG-1 in that Richard Dean Anderson said that the show has been a closet comedy for years. It mixes some drama with humorous material. Though I have to admit that I really hate the way Sci-Fi jipped us because the "We're so Screwed" episodes were downright hilarious, and gave us the most pitiful ending to the series. Thankfully there's going to be a mini-series to fix that godawful mistake.

I felt that FarScape was just weird, it flet kind of thrown together to me, we'll take a part of this plot, and part of this plot and a part of this plot from these shows, toss them together and boom, we got ourselves a series. Never really clicked for me at all.

B5, it was original, it was well written, it was well acted, and matured as the show went on. It got me and kept me wanting more.

Farscape was a filler of time for me, if I didn't have anything better to do, I might watch it, but Babylon5, VCR timer, record that baby!!