LostInSpace

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Are you talking about the pilot?

Yep, one and the same. For whatever reason, it's titled a "4 hour mini-series" on the box.

BTW, the outakes were interesting in that you get to see some of the shots with barebones effects. The Galactica without the textures applied, Apollo reacting to a missile when it's just the green screen behind him. That's got to be tough -- acting worried with nothing actually chasing you!

it was.... "ok"

Although, I still hate that girl though... wish they'd had stayed with the ORIGINAL cast and not make it "politically correct"

But other than that, the only praise I give it is that the SFX and such are pretty good. But thats it

Baltar preoccupied by (wet) daydreams all the time ... hard to believe anyone could take him seriously.

The military is a mess: the XO is a drunk, insubordination is rampant, and a maintenance chief is covering up for his girlfriend ... in the face of major indications of sabotage. No wonder they lost the war.

But the mechanical Cylons are cool ... reminds me of Maximillian in Disney's The Black Hole.

They made Starbuck female, thats kinda weird. I liked the original, I saw the Re-runs on BBC2. I think its good, but the way I work is once I decide I like something I dont change. Even if it becomes rubbish later on...

PS. feed Janeway to rabid daggits, I'd pay to see that!

I have to say, I thought the original was good, I think the new one is good. They're different shows. There's an entirely different thread here about the death of sci-fi, and together with this thread it's getting me to wonder if it isn't sci-fi fans that killed it. The story of Battlestar Galactica is about a fleet of colonial ships trying to escape the clutches of robots intent on destroying them, and placing their hope in the saving power of their ancestral homeworld. That idea is present in the original and intact in the new, but how it's executed is subtly different.

Regarding Starbuck, when the original series aired, we didn't have women figher pilots, and the culture wouldn't "believe" the tough kick-ass leading lady. Since then we've had all kinds, from Tomb Raider to Resident Evil, to Shirow's Appleseed, etc. (Not an exhaustive list, but just off the top of my head.) Starbuck makes sense given these trends, although it's certainly not the original. Is the character intersting? I'll say it certainly reflects a more recent trend that wasn't present in the original series. Is that good or bad? Depends on how much you loved the original series I suppose.

One thing I DO like about the new series is that people seem to have real problems and personal conflicts, and that the show doesn't have a faux-militarism (ala Star Trek). When I watched this series, I believed that I was seeing future soldiers, and for those two reasons at least I'm going to be interested in continuing to watch.

Whats Faux Milatrisim? If its the way most of the characters seem to be cardboard cut-outs then I agree. Starbuck was too much of an integral part of the original series to chane or remove (Depending on your viewpoint) Its like making the lored of the rings without Sam Gamgee, or Harry Potter without Ron. Everyone notices its missing. its not a "Subtle" change. It annoys fans of the original series, watching the "Original" series now after its effects E.T.C have had time to atrophie compared with the new shows gives an unfair picture of it. (Some people cant even enjoy fantastic games without good graphics. Notice that companys are always doing more or les "Faithful" conversions of old games fom the early consoles/Spectrum and Commodore, In their respective times some of those graphics were cutting edge) Simply put, you shouldn't put an 80's TV show down on effects, it shows unbeleivible ignorance when you still expect something made two and a half decades ago to compete with modern special effects. If you never watched at the time, you can never understand.

Well, I think you're right to say that we can't compare the effects, but I wasn't trying to do that. I was just saying that one of the things the new show was doing well was the effects. Consider that if the new show had poor effects then we'd all be hearing about how much the new show sucked because of that, without people necessarily drawing comparisons to the old show's effects.

Faux Militarism is just my term for the failure of people to represent any kind of military authenticity. When I look at the Trek series, the characters appear, speak, and act nothing like anyone I've ever known in uniform. They spend more time breaking orders than following them, and rarely do they seem like they're professionally trained in the appropriate use of force. Star Trek (in general) is written with a Vietnam-era perspective on the military, but if I go on from here, I'll end up ranting about liberal construals of the military, so I'll just stop there. Suffice it to say it rings hollow, and that's what I mean by Faux militarism.

I'll plead ignorance on Starbuck since I don't remember the original enough to know what Starbuck's character was really like. I do remember he was a ladies man, a hotshot pilot, and the more hotheaded irresponsible one. Except for the ladies man part, isn't that kind of present in the new character?

• 3 weeks later...

Good! I Think I am finally undestanding that this show is really like nothing else we have seen in the Sci-fi universe. The pacing, the character studies, lighting, music combine to take the time to tell complex interesting stories.

• 1 month later...

I'm anxious to see what you folks think about BG now that the season finale is coming up. I really like how they have developed the mythos for this show and also how the stories are playing out. Last weeks episode was clearly the best of the year and was played up by Harry and gang at Aint it Cool as having an opening that was the best two minutes on tv this season.

Starbuck is a really complex character and Gaius is ...well Gaius. I think it is the most adult science fiction show that has ever been done. What do you folks think...be gentle now!