BattleStar Galactica

LostInSpace

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Teknocack Prime:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

....uhm, didn't they win an Emmy?

Actually SC, I think so far they have only been nominated, but for two Emmys.

quote:

Originally posted by Boyd:

It's typical hollywood rubbish.

Politically correct in making character(s) of the original series females. Turns my stomach.

Made to cater to the amoral mush brained youth of our current generation.

We don't want upstanding strong and moral leaders presented. We want drunks and seriously flawed bozos as heroes.

Made on the cheap by making most of the cylons look human. It sure saves on having metallic cylons running around doesn't it. The way it is presented.... a n y b o d y may be a cylon.

After saying all of this... it will probably be a hit considering the character of much of our society.

I'm sorry brother but I have to ask: Are you serious? I think I'd almost have an alcoholic in charge rather someone who seems so filled with vitriol and hatred. I understand that we, as a society, have many challenges ahead of us and diatribes like yours have no place in the actual application of solutions. You do help define the parameters of the issues though and for that I thank you for being you.

quote:

I'll check in on it occasionly to see what perverted twists they present, but I won't punish myself with a lot of viewing.

Once again, are you kidding me?! Why would you subject yourself to something you abhor so much? I almost think you are trying to screw with some of our heads. If so, nice job. If not then I'll say this: If you don't like don't watch it. That's the real problem is too many crying foul and not enough teaching their kids properly or making proper decisions for themselves like not watching something they don't approve of. Good gravy, you're worse than Hellbinder!

Holy smoke I thought this topic was about a fantasy TV show.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm dead serious. It's violent, vulgar, and bloody trash desquised as entertainment.

I watch parts of such things to make informed decisions and observations about the continual degradation of our society with hollywood and the general media leading the way.

There are like computer games out there. Vulgar, violent and bloody. They are mind polluting and trash. Add the vulger and violent lyrics of even some music to the list. It's not a pretty picture. Still there are those fools that purchase the junk to their own detriment.

An example of what is happening:

If one takes a frog and tries to place it in a pot of hot water it will jump out.

One the other hand, if one places a frog in warm water and very gradually turns up the heat... the frog will just lay there, relax, and allow itself to be cooked to death.

Another example... in the great movie " Gone With The Wind", when Clark Gable made that famous statement "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." it was then considered a shocking peice of dialog. Now, such a thing isn't even be noticed let alone considered shocking.

Our society is like the frog... we are very gradually being morally degraded and most are to dense or morally comprimised to recognise it.

Those that may be older among us, like me, can better see what is happening from the perspective of greater time spent in observation and concern.

It saddens me. Things will continue to worsen and people that speak up against the trend will be considerd the odd ones. Righteous conduct and thought is increasingly being considered wrong and wrong thought and conduct considered right and acceptable.

I don't much stock in ANY awards given out by hollywood insiders to recognise hollywood productions.

What if General Motors managmement gave out a special award for one or a few of it's "considered" best automobiles. Self serving at best.

Hollywood awards... bah. Self serving tripe. The only thing they are really good for is as a paper weight or door stop.

[ 07-19-2005, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Boyd ]

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

No, I'm dead serious. It's violent, vulgar, and bloody trash desquised as entertainment.

Yet your profile says you like to play war games. Lighten up please and don't watch what you find offensive and stop trying to pull the moral high ground. Everybody has a God given right to choose for him or herself what's right and wrong without your assistance.

Now it is known that you don't like this show let the others that do enjoy themselves here.

Thanks

Dude maybe this aint the place for you..I mean a lot of us like the things you seem to hate so much. I think there is room for balance, I think the world , no matter how much you want it to be is not black and white good and evil etc..

it is an adult show which is why it is on at ten. If you dont like it; vote with your remote and find something more to your liking. I am one of the older folks in this community and I do agree that is here is a degradation of morals. However I refuse to blame art and pop culture. Self righteous, judgemental policticians and business leaders shrare the blame as do those of us who may act one way and speak a differenrt way.

I would agree with you if this show was on Saturday morning, but it isnt. I am 45 years old, a child of divorce and for much of my childhood wondered what was wrong with me cause my family didnt look like the Brady's or any of those other shows that in many ways shaped how we judged ourselves. That ideal that was held up was amuch a fantasy as BSG and in a lot of wayys more damaging. A deeper look at that show would reveal to you how strong religion plays as a central theme. and how peopel struggle with their wordly dutiers versus thier spiritual duties. Starbuck disobeyed orders because of her beliefs.

Lastly, if you dislike it that much TURN THE CHANNEL!

I'll voice my opinion. I just might open up another persons eyes and ears to what is going on.

I like to play war "strategy" war games not first person shooters.

I served for over 21 year in the U.S. Marine Corps. I've seen and experianced the REAL carnage of war up close and personal.

I have EARNED my right of free speech and put my life on the line to guarnatee that right to all of us.

My comments come from the "greater" perspective of one that has lost many friends and comrads fighting for the U.S. and I hate what is becoming of our culture in the name of intertainment.

I'll not comment further. I think my point of view is clear.

Thank you both Remo and Race. Enough of this senseless verbal brutality. I am beginning to find it more offensive than anything I see of TV or in the Movies.

Boyd, I am not some pup either. Your passionate diatribes are bordering on hatred. Harboring hatred is like drinking poison and wishing someone else would die. Senseless, useless, and energy that would better be used in another manner as long as it's not to force feed your views on others. Out of respect for Remo's post, if you wish to reply please do so by PM but only if you can be civil. Thank you.

Now back to the show. I can't wait for next Friday! Boomer took Starbucks ride! Sneaky Cylon jerks! Man, did Colonel Tigh go off on the other Boomer or what? High drama indeed.

The sad part is I watched every episode except the season finale including the second time around during the mini marathon.

I love this show....... Boyd feel free to talk as you see fit. I certainly do. Many of us here are vets as well and have many different points of view and opinions. All we have are opinions and you are certainly welcome to share yours. We keep the tone of this little patch of ground( The Arts) real light. If you like more caustic discourse I would suggest the politics threads, which I now avoid like the red death.

quote:

Thank you both Remo and Race. Enough of this senseless verbal brutality. I am beginning to find it more offensive than anything I see of TV or in the Movies.

You know what? You're right. It must be something in the water.

Seriously, c'mon guys, everyone has a right to an opinion on this board, as long as they adhere to our rules and regs, don't go overboard, don't abuse others, certainly NO ANTI-AMERICAN sentiments (thats an immediate perma-ban, no questions asked etc etc).

Remo has whip. A really long whip. So, if anyone gets banned for not following the rules, I'm not getting involved.

Back to the show. It sux.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

which I now avoid like the red death.

Chicken

quote:

...I think I'd almost have an alcoholic in charge rather someone who seems so filled with vitriol and hatred.

I accept neither option. Luckily, neither does the real military. Not often, anyway.

I can really see Boyd's point, but I have to agree with Remo. The only thing you can do if you don't approve of these shows is not watch it, and ensure your children are not exposed to what you consider offensive. I actually like the show, but could do without some of the more gratuitous stuff. Go figure...

quote:

Now back to the show. I can't wait for next Friday! Boomer took Starbucks ride! Sneaky Cylon jerks! Man, did Colonel Tigh go off on the other Boomer or what? High drama indeed.

The sad part is I watched every episode except the season finale including the second time around during the mini marathon.

Is that Boomer #2 or Boomer #3? Last season's finale is available for free on the Galactica page at sci fi .com.

I arranged to have it taped. I liked it. Next week, Cylon troops invade the Galactica.

SC you really think this show sucks? Man, you just never know about a guy! Re my avoiding the pols threads, all I do is get steamed reading Lost, Jag, and Marvin's posts and since that is an area where we clearly dont see Eye to Eye, I focus on the many things those guys and I do have in common..you know like the BC series and beer.

Regarding BSG, it appears to be one of those shows ppl love or hate. I LOVE it!

I too am flabbergasted by the SC on this one. By the Lords of Cobol this show rocks!! I mean c'mon now, nominated for two Emmys and debuting at number one in it's demographic. I realize the Emmys are somewhat self serving but they do mean something. Also some (elitist) people think that just because something is popular it is automatically drivel. Well, I say that kind of thinking is the real drivel.

I don't think the show sucks. At least not on the levels of ST Enterprise (which totally sucked IMO).

Its just that I'm not into all this political shit and drama. They've turned the whole effing thing into a sci-fi soap opera.

I can't wait for Firefly to come back.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Its just that I'm not into all this political shit and drama. They've turned the whole effing thing into a sci-fi soap opera.

Ah well, one mans drink is another mans poison.

Fridays episode was great! I really enjoyed the premise, kinda reminded me of what I thought was the best Original BSG ep, when the Galatica was on fire. The robotic Cylons are very cool, I'd like to see more of them what do you guys think?

Absolutely Race. This damn show has had me on the edge of my seat since the mini-series (although I thought it was insulting to call 2 2-hour shows a mini-series but considering how they've delivered I'll forgive).

I think I'll be a little contrary to SC when I say that I think the drama and subplots are what elevate it from the original. BTW, I'm not slamming the original, I enjoyed it very much. I just don't think I would enjoy the new one as much as I do if it were just a carbon copy of the old with new effects.

Speaking of effects though. Do the special effects shots seem as cool to you as me? The quick pans and zooms, and the shaky camera? I really think that adds to the realism of the exterior shots, particularly during combat.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldnt agree more! Just a superior show with great acting and terrific plots. I am just SO into this show. The SFX do a good job of accenting not overwhelming the story. I just dont see why more people are hype about this wonderful series.