Night at the Movies: Kill Bill

Outlaw

As usual, Quentin Tarantino at his best. Beware, this movie is not for the faint of heart. If you like blood, carnage, over the top action and comedy and great music, you won't be disapointed. Can't wait for volume 2 on February. 10/10

In a word: FAN-F***ING-TASTIC! Every scene, every moment was an homage to all things cinema. This movie was so much FUN that the two hours felt more like five minutes. Terantino switches effortlessly from live action to anime to black and white - there are 10ft-tall gysers of blood, body parts everywhere... the cinematography is all over the map and the entire film is so deliciously over-the-top that mere words cannot describe how AMAZING it is. I've seen it three times since Friday (Two on Friday alone, as I bought tickets for the next available showing as soon as I left the theatre) and I pick up something new every time I watch it. There is no doubt in my mind (as a film student) that Kill Bill is the single greatest piece of filmaking of all time. Kill Bill is what happens when you combine everything that makes movies great into a single film. Yes, I really mean that.

PERFECT 10/10!

This will definately NOT be some people's cup o tea. But for anyone who quite simply loves movies in all their forms (ie, those people who saw Gigli just so they could honestly say firsthand how horrible it was) this is not to be missed. For those elite few, people like me, Kill Bill is a cinematic orgasm!

*sigh*

I was so looking forward to seeing this one; but if its an over-the-top visceral gorefest (ala Blade II etc), this is one QT film I'm going to pass on.

So, on a scale of 1/10, how visceral is the gore? Is is like cartoonish or realistic?

Just saw it this afternoon. As far as the volume of blood shown is concerned, it is a pretty safe bet that few or no films in recent history have the sheer amount spilled, splashed, projected and gushed as in this film. Also the number of 'displaced' limbs is significant, which of course occurs when alot of people swing around sharp objects. Overall a 10/10 amount for gore, but qualified as mostly blood, a fair amount of body parts, and few internal organs.

But regarding the gore, it could be considered cartoonishly realistic. That is to say that it is done in such a visual style that much of it is more similar to samurai action anime than say live action movies like Starship Troopers, Braveheart or Saving Private Ryan. The offbeat soundtrack throughout much of the film and during the fight scenes also affects the context of the visual effects.

Basically the way it was filmed makes it pretty subjective as to whether or not someone would consider the gore just gratuitous, or 'appropriate' in the context of the story. Also not wanting to spoil too much, but there are many different cinematic styles that are used throughout the film.

But despite all the red stuff I'd still recommend this film and will definately be seeing Volume 2.

Yeah, the gore is handled in a very silly/unrealistic/sylized manner. For instance, if a head gets lopped off, blood may spray 20ft in the air like it were a red colored sprinkler on the side of the freeway. The most 'gratuitous' portion of the film is also done in black & white, while simultaneously being set to some goofy 70s-style kung-fu action music. Unless you're Joseph Lieberman the gore isn't really that much of issue... it's not 'gross-out' gore like you'd find in a horror film nor is it the sad stomach-turning gore of Saving Private Ryan... it's silly and unrealistic, in a wonderfully good way.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Yeah, the gore is handled in a very silly/unrealistic/sylized manner. For instance, if a head gets lopped off, blood may spray 20ft in the air like it were a red colored sprinkler on the side of the freeway. The most 'gratuitous' portion of the film is also done in black & white, while simultaneously being set to some goofy 70s-style kung-fu action music. Unless you're Joseph Lieberman the gore isn't really that much of issue... it's not 'gross-out' gore like you'd find in a horror film nor is it the sad stomach-turning gore of Saving Private Ryan... it's silly and unrealistic, in a wonderfully good way.

Thanks guys, thats the sort of info I was looking for. I'll go see it this weekend then.

If you saw "Spots" in this movie you now know why.

quote:

Well, something new and horrible has been introduced on some studios' prints. Sort of a giant picture-marring version of Cap Code dots: Very large reddish brown spots that flash in the middle of the picture, usually placed in a light area. They flash in various patterns throughout a given reel while other reels of the same film may have none at all.

A Kodak spokesman who helped devise the original Cap Code says this is not the work of his company but theorizes that it may be intended to be more visible on the murky compressed copies that get posted to the Internet where the original, very subtle Cap Code may be difficult to discern.

Sigh, I guess it might be time to start boycotting movies as well.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

SC, i STRONGLY advise you skip this one. i saw it this week and it has a LOT of blood and hacked off heads etc. As well as the most extreme use of non stop swearing and abusive language i ahve ever seen.

It is all sooo pointless. To me its a real shame QT took this route becuase the core story is a good one and some of the chapters in the movie are simply magnificient. Especially the last 1/3 of the Flick. Some great cinematography.

However.. having said all that.. I sat there appaled at the Ridiculous and pointless levels of foul language, harsh conduct and Violence that simply did not need to be that way. IMO it took away from the story and added nothing to it at all.

I do think that the Final series of action with the Yakuza was great. Even with some of the extreme hackage.

ylsmoke.gif

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

oh.. Lucy liu (sp?) Raises the bar of this movie in the scenes she is in. Totally Fantastic especially wiht the Visual style QT uses in her scenes.

• 1 year later...
Guest Grayfox

rented this one last night. all i can say is wow... this is what i want in an action movie.

solid plot (the revenge bit never gets old)

high body count (my god was it a high body count)

style (there was definitely style involved)

is vol 2 on dvd yet? i didnt see it when i picked up vol 1...