Night at the movies - Lord of the rings (minor spoilers alert!!!)

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Elenkis:

Originally Elves were going to be called Gnomes, but he changed their name for the same reason.

And thank God he did - imagine how the face of fantasy for generations would have been latered if the tall, willowy and magical race had been known as Gnome instead of Elf.

I wonder, though...would we have ended up with Garden Elves?

-GD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Actually Simparadox is exactly right

[
Crap, now I have to do some reading to sustantiate my own answer!
]

As to your next questons:

1) Smeagol

2) Melkor (later known as Morgoth)

1. Partial credit . . . check the appendix (F I think it is) in tRotK and you'll find that Smeagol is the “anglicized” form of Trahald (means 'burrowing,
    worming in') and Deagol is the “anglicized” form of Nahald(means 'secret') .
  2. Aulë, he defected to Melkor, it was for that reason that Curumo was sent as head of the Istari (wizards) as he was also one of Aulë's followers.

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

quote:

Bah, you caught me out with the "original" master part. I knew the answer but gave the wrong one, was expecting the usual simple questions

Got any more?

Which was the point of course!

I do have more but most of it stems from The Silmarillion so I'll rumage through my bag o' cobwebs and see what I can find that's more LotR oriented.

Just for the interim, here's an easy one and a stumper both from the Silmarillion:

What is Gandalf's true name?

Who is Aiwendil?

• 4 weeks later...

Let me just drag this thread out of the annals of history...............

Ah, there we go.

Went to see it last night and well, what a night! Didn't get home till 11.45 and a thoroughly well spent evening it was. It's been nearly 20 years since I read LotR, Silmarillion (sp?), Book of Lost Tales etc, but they had me drawing maps of Middle Earth, writing my name in Elvish and all the other trappings associated with obsessed adolescents. To be honest, I'd forgotten all about Tom Bombadil, but I did miss the Prancing Pony song and the Barrow Wrights. The sequence in Moria was immense, as was the final battle with the Uruk-hai. All characters were just about as I imagined them, but they did have me thinking on a few things:

Elrond - Priscilla, images of Terence Stamp in drag and table-tennis balls were banging around in my head every time I saw him.

Frodo - that guys eyes are just TOO big for his face

Gandalf - Peter O' Toole, frightened boys and rugby spring to mind. If anyone has seen the Z├╝rich Insurance commercials in the UK, you'll understand why.

I thought Boromir was just right; a good man at heart, but desperate enough that you couldn't quite trust him. The Elves and Hobbits were perfect.

Well, I could wax on endlessly about it. Suffice to say, I will take the missus to see it when she returns from Ireland and may even catch it again while she's away.

Addendum: the scene where Bilbo gives Frodo the Mithril, sees the ring and tries to grab it?

Jumped a bloody mile!

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

• 1 year later...

Gonna resurrect this yet again.

From www.Fandango.com by clicking on one of their banner ads.

quote:

For one week starting December 5, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring ÔÇô Special Extended Edition brings additional footage to the big screen for the first and only time.

Enjoy all you frea... ummm enthusiasts!