Movie Night - Battlefield Earth

Supreme Cmdr

The Summer's first dud.

Unless, like me, you're a fan of John Travolta and/or Barry Pepper, you will want to miss this.

Think...

..Godzilla

...Wing Commander with better acting

....SuperNova

.....Wild Wild West

......a half-eaten ham sandwich...2 days after you made it.

Yes, boys and gals, they ****ed it up. Apart from the fact that it only covers half the book, this is one sequel that won't be made I don't think.

But there's hope, MI-2 and X-Men are on the way!

Guest Ron Wallin

I totally agree. However, I doubt they covered more than a 1/4 of the book. Hell, the ending was different, the phsychlo's were'nt cat like at all, they left out Johny's motivation and his real desire to not be made a hero...

In short, this was a terrible movie adaptation of a good book.

Knowing the detail of the book, I seriously doubt that ANYONE could compress it to a 2 hour event... Maybe someday Holliscrewed will realize that and poor money into better projects.

Oh, and what was with Travolta's wife? Man...

Thanks for the advice, I will wait for the cheap show for that one. wink.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Almost took the plunge to see this movie last eve and only because the book is decent. Travolta has had several good movies lately but I haven't had the I gotta see this willies whenever the hype-trailers appear on the tele. So with that said I'll wait for the video rent and spend the money on Sid 6.7 presentation

TTFN and TY on the info.

Ron's right, forget about them not covering 1/4th of the book, they left out a lot of things. Man, I can't believe the author allowed them to rip it up like that. And people wonder why am so protective of my stuff.

For one thing, there is nothing in this movie that makes you want to pull for anyone. Frankly, I liked Travolta's performance better and the film kinda fell flat for me, when he wasn't on screen.

There is nothing awe inspiring about this movie. If you remember Independence Day, now thats awe inspiring, especially the end battle when all the world's heroes went up in F18 fighters to take out the alien ships. When Bill Pullman was giving his battle speech, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! I mean, these guys, from the caves (in BE), learned how to fly AVB Harrier jump jets in 7 days, from a simulator!!! And when you see them attacking the dome, you'd think that they were carrier aviators. Absolutely and totally, ludicrous.

I was just waiting for the aliens to show up with some kick-ass weaponry and wipe those Harriers out. Nothing.

As for Kelly, I guess she wanted to be in the movie. wink.gif

quote:

Man, I can't believe the author allowed them to rip it up like that.

L. Ron Hubbard has been dead for at least 10 years (although you wouldn't know it if you looked in the sci-fi section in bookstores). His estate's share of the royalty goes to Scientology.

Yeah, Travolta has been wanting to make this movie for a while (being a Scientologist and all), and for those of you wondering how much of the book got in, get this, this was just the first half of the book, their plan was to make the second half next (like that's gonna happen now after this bomb smile.gif ).

------------------

Cmdr. Xavier Knight

Spectre Fleet

Chief Security Officer, Sygan StarStation

ICV Abaddon

"Nemo me impune lacessit"

quote:

L. Ron Hubbard has been dead for at least 10 years (although you wouldn't know it if you looked in the sci-fi section in bookstores). His estate's share of the royalty goes to Scientology.

hehe, Steve, I know that. I was refering to his estate trustees actually.

So Xavier, did you go and see it?

You bet SC, I enjoy reading www.aint-it-cool-news.com, and they had it labeled as a dud for a while, so I went in to see it for amusements sake. It's kinda interesting to watch 100 million or so being blown in 2 hours. Imagine if they spent that on something worthwhile, like BattleCruiser: "Every game box comes with a free commanders hat, joystick, and a Matrix style neural interface to plug into your brain!" smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Xavier Knight

Spectre Fleet

Chief Security Officer, Sygan StarStation

ICV Abaddon

"Nemo me impune lacessit"

Now for really bad news bit or would this be a marketing ploy.

Perused the bookstands at the Bx otherday and noticed an odd occurance. Battlefield Earth has been released in its original pulb form but with Travolta's mug predominantly displayed on the book cover.

TTFN