Night at the Movies - The Matrix Reloaded

Guest $iLk

Guest $iLk

Saw it tonight... a day early

10 out of 10 but...

Prepare yourself for a lot of action... but also a ton of questions. I'm not going to reveal much more than that until more of you see it, but be prepared to know less than you did after the first one.

Just got out of the special 10pm PST showing and the general consensus was not exactly as lofty as $iLk's. So, I've got good news and bad news.

The good: It dosn't suck.

The bad: It's really not very good.

All the philosophy and complex storytelling of the first movie went right out the window. Although the series was always intended to be a trilogy, Reloaded suffers from 'nastalgic sequel' syndrom, a condition instigated by a sequel being written after the release of the first movie (As opposed to all three scripts being written as once). It's mostly a collection of fight scenes and explosions with some interesting characters and situations that progress the action. Nirobe (sp?) and Ghost are on screen for, at most, 60 seconds and really weren't necessary to the story. In good sooth, they're only real purpose is to sell the game (Which, unfortunately, is just as mediocre as the film). Yes, I know your going to see it anyway and it's worth your money at least once as it's a pretty neat action flick... but it's not worth the repeated viewings that the first flick was.

Score: 6/10

Look into: Equilibreum - which should be comming out on DVD soon.

Conclusion: Today sucked. Left E3 at around 2pm, as 80% of the show was VIP/Invitation only (A new E3 record) and that 80% happened to be everything I cared a hoot about (Call of Cthulhu, Greyhawk, Evil Dead, etc). Oh yeah, and Half Life 2 is going-to-effin-rock-your-world.

Nintendo-note: Nintendo is going out of business. Their game lineup sucked (And that's a conservative statement) and there were no less than three other handheld gaming devices being pimped at the show, including Ngage (Which also wasn't that impressive-very, very tiny screen).

Just thought I'd stop back by the boards and post that rant

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Overall GREAT MOVIE!!!

The biggest Let douwn is the gratiuitous sex scene, and the Orgy dance..

WTF part did any of that play in the movie?? Lets not forget the lame scene with teh shot going between the chicks legs at the resteraunt, and the comment about a blow job.. NOT APPROPRIATE...

Look, I understand that its a rated R movie and all.. but these things just did NOT belong in this movie at all. Completely pointless...

What is even worse is when I think about all the unsuspecting parents who will take their kids to see it, thinging that the R rating is more about the Fighting etc.. Not good. This is not some off the shelf rated R flick. This is the Freaking MATRIX. Like the movie that redefigned Cinema and the entire world is wanting to see??? The Wachowski brothers should have some RESPONSABILITY. They know damn well that there are a LOT no a TON of kids that are going to get into this movie somehow.

A reasonable little nookie scene between Neo and Trinity is one thing.. but these asses Took it way to far, for no purpose whatsoever..

Very irritating

Guest $iLk

Actually the Neo Trinity sex scene was pretty corny... Everything just happened to cover up everything else...

And Epsilon5, I say it in an in-between way. I never really understood the whole first one, but it built up as though there was going to be this big triumph over evil type thing, but in this one, everything you thought you knew about the Matrix from the first movie goes right out the window because you are wrong.

In a way it makes you wanna see the third one even more... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pissed for about 10 minutes after the end of it... and then had this big huge discussion with all my buddies about what actually happened, in which we came up with several conclusions... no doubt to be proven wrong by the third movie. So plenty of action, plenty plenty plenty, the lines are the same old 3 or 4 words...

(CUE NEO: WHOAH!)

It's excellent by itself for the action... but it's the way the story takes a total unexpected turn, not to mention that it never really explains half the crap that happens(as far as the purpose/reason/etc. for it).

The movie is R rated for a reason, just because it is "The Matrix" does not mean it has to conform to what we *think* it's standards are, we have only 1 movie to go on....thats it. And if a parent can't handle a little sexual reference...why are they exposing little Susie to an operator getting impaled by a bulkhead, or somebody getting popped in the forehead with a silver bullet?

The sex scene and tribal dance/orgy bit kinda reminded me of the religious fervor/orgy in Dune.

I thought the movie was deeper than some may give it credit for...The Morpheous the reverand scene followed by the orgy/dance thing really brought out the religious(faith/hope/etc) and animalistic nature of humanity. And while parents may want a PC version of this, like a speech or maybe a fuzzy rabbit singing a song, if you want to symbolize the sharp contrast between the living and the machines, show humanity being the creatures/beings/animals that make them human, even if it seems raw.

I thought it was very artistic. Even if Morpheous did have something of a ridiculous voice during his speech.

And a thing that made me really dig the W brothers direction was the fact that while they put this big emphasis on faith and fate, as so feverishly represented by Morpheous, I really dug towards the end they went.....OOOPS....."faith ain't everything!".....

Thing that makes this series interesting is that it has the balls to be provocative and smart on top being a first rate action flick.

[ 05-16-2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Korono Lakeela ]

First off: Wait out the credits for the "Matrix: Revolutions" teaser trailer. The credits are about nine minutes long, but it's worth it if you're a Matrix fan. Probably less than 10% of the theater stayed, because they didn't know. =)

I like Korono's interpretation of that scene. I won't go into much detail about that.

Good movie. You have to know the first movie and also understand a lot of it to be able to watch this. (Watching The Matrix again the weekend before you go is a good plan. Worked for me. )

A lot of action. Extremely nice CG. While you could tell through some of the "super fast" fighting scenes in the "Burly Brawl" that it was CG, it was still the most realistic CG work I've ever seen. (Read Wired Magazine regarding that scene.)

Some light spoiling ahead. If you don't want to spoil ANYTHING, don't read Time magazine, and don't read below. ^^ (I heard there was a major spoiler article in Time from a teacher of mine.)

Nicely played, although they put a lot of emphasis on action. Then again, it was still good. The movie was nicely played out. That sex scene wasn't unanticipated--it played out better in the movie than I expected; read Korono's post about that. Deeper messages come at times like that; people put in scenes without speech or much action for the purpose of things like pondering stuff like that.

Hellbinder, the first movie was rated R. I've seen what I believe to be much worse in PG-13 flicks. In terms of plot and the "emotional value" of the movie, those said scenes have major roles. There's a really weird feeling you have when the "dream scenes" from the beginning play out. That fuzzy feeling. It's all because they draw out that portion of the plot, while creating the main plot above it.

And I liked the Morpheus "preacher voice." It's like 23xx Martin Luther King Jr. or some crap like that. XD

"Everything you know is a lie." I like how that plays out into the second movie. Bigger than anyone expects. The Architect part was probably the most complex part of a movie plot I've seen recently. And he talked kinda fast, too.

"Sophomore" things have bad reputations. Music Albums, movies, etc. It's natural. I think this one did fairly well. You have to be able to think outside the lines of a normal movie. Sure, there's discrepancies once in a while, but almost no movie can avoid that. (i.e. "if the humans (or machines) are so smart, then why didn't they....?")

Fact is, beautiful action and CG. Great plot (unexpected twists) and a pretty nice setup for the final film. Answers a deal of questions from the old film, but adds like 498290348 million more. They make you want to see the third one.

Movies like that are great. At least I don't have to wait another 4 years.

The words: TO BE CONCLUDED hurt. It ended in a more tense spot than LoTR ever did. *rar*

I loved it. I hated the ending. I was loud and rowdy during the credits, waiting for the trailer, and then I was satisfied.

The plot is designed to make you think. Suspense and complexity like that--the twists in the plot are awesome and totally unexpected--keep a movie like this good in my mind until the next one comes out, and the mass speculation of EVERYONE is finally sealed shut.

10/10 - Action/Graphics

6/10-8/10 - Story*****

9/10 - Sound/Music

~8/10-9/10 Total

*****(A hard choice to make. The possible eight comes from the possibilities/uncertanties that the final movie will clear up. Thinking in terms of a Trilogy, the plot wasn't as bad as originally thought. I thought it was borderline decent at first. Realizing the third movie puts more perspective into it.)

End of story.

Also: Best car chase/whatever scene on the freeway out of any movie I've seen.

I still have yet to see the film, will probably go next week, but in the meantime I was just watching the four Animatrix episodes that you can download. I enjoyed the The Second Renaissance episodes, the other two I found just mildly entertaining.

Cheers!

quote:

Also: Best car chase/whatever scene on the freeway out of any movie I've seen.

I read somewhere that they built their own freeway to do that on. Along with a lot of other statistics comparing numbers of effects and what not.

Still haven't seen it. Maybe Sunday.

Guest $iLk

Watching it the second time today helped me understand a lot more of it, although all the action scenes seemed too long and boring the second time around.

Well I saw Matrix reloaded today, all I can say is, that if you are going to watch it, go see it in the theater if only for the sound and the big screen, because while I did enjoy it, it didn`t leave me wit the same feeling, or any real intrigue at all. The story leads you into the final chapter, basically, so while I like tha fact that we get to hear the backstory, and see what`s the reality of the world, there`s really nothing new, nothing more to think about, untill the last bit of the movie where you find out whats really going on.

The action sequences were very cool, no doubt. So I recommend going to see this movie in the theater, and take it for what it is. The continuation of the story. The beginning feels all wrong though, and that took me a while to get over. I think it set a bad starting pace for the movie. After that, it was alright.

I think that a lot of people disliked the mass dance scene, and the sex scene, but I suggest you watch the animatrix series. For all the crazyness and disorder going on, it`s the same kind of wierd feeling you get watching the second renaissance. The human emotions, the pounding music serving to make a big contrast between being a human being and being a machine and all the crazyness that goes on, be it right or wrong.

Anyways, I won`t keep going on about my thoughts, as there are a lot of interpretations that could be made.

If you skipped all that text to read this, then go see the movie, and make your own opinion. It`s definitely not a standalone film, more like the filler in a 3 part series.

3.14159265358979323846 / 5

Cheers!

Personally, I LOVED the movie...although the end left me with so many questions that it made my head spin...and I do think that the sex scene was unnecessary. Just keep in mind that it's the middle child and you'll be alright. Look at this movie with the image of the whole story in your mind.

9/10

I just saw it today. I thought it was awesome.

The Highway fight scene was my favourite part.

The scene where neo fights all those agent smiths at the same time was quite good also.

In the end I was left with more questions than answers though. Hopefully the next movie will clear some of them up.

the whole thing at ZION was corny. everything about their trip to zion was corny. i never use that word... is it a word?

they spent so much money showing zion and that control room etc...which was cool...the control room...but it sucked. the best part was the old council man who cant sleep talking to Neo. i would rather not have seen zion to see it like this....posh pit heh....the speech was bad.

anyway i loved the rest of it after zion, even if it did get a little deep and complicated and confusing, still like it.

and yes even though i find it more entertaining now that the first, this one was just from the beginning planned to be more grand. the first had half the budget, and was contained.

this one let loose on everything.

ill be seeing it a few more times in the cinema

Mr. Smith "more more.....more!!!"

All I have to say is:

Did they pick the best actor for the role of the "Architect" or what?

The last scene with all those green monitors and Neo and the Architect just reeks of good Sci-Fi.

Good movie. Didn't mind spending the $16 to see it twice. Didn't mind at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

so now i'm

going to get Enter the Matrix fo the rest of the story(for X-box jsut to let you know)

in 2 days you can tell us how you liked the game after you beat it (i beat it in 5 hours, and its not worth playing again as the other person... )

i saw the matrix reloaded yesterday and all i can say is

if you cant play as Neo it sucks. its like playing jedi knight as a wookie.

this movie is to me now, what the first one was to me back then. its entertaining and will make me see it as often as i can in the cinema, even if i leech off of someone

i sit closer to screen next time, either those guys are moving fast or my eyes are going bad, i found it hard to keep up with all the cool moves people were yelling for...

what i wonder is, with possibly the best fight scene already done so far for the series, the multiple smith fight, and i mean in terms of difficulty to film , requiring all those green screens etc...how will they top that for the "final fight" it seems they have ended all their movies with a fight, so revolutions can't be any different.

Don't know what to think of it really. It's not bad but... i dunno i'm still puzzled.

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

I think that a lot of people disliked the mass dance scene, and the sex scene, but I suggest you watch the animatrix series. For all the crazyness and disorder going on, it`s the same kind of wierd feeling you get watching the second renaissance. The human emotions, the pounding music serving to make a big contrast between being a human being and being a machine and all the crazyness that goes on, be it right or wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. I recall when i was watching the scene i was thinking "how does this fit in, what's this suppose to tell me".

humans know the meaning of passion, the matrix does not?

Maybe it means nothing at all. Like $ilk said i have more questions after i have seen the movie.

Maybe that's good.

I felt the scene was a page out of our own culture. Every year alot of Silicon Valley nerds (where i live) go out to the dessert for Burning Man, which is very tribal like in nature as well.

I thought the movie was incredible. Can't wait for the next one. Oh and after seeing it 3 times I finaly understood everything the architect was saying.

BTW I think you can see the architect's wall of monitors in the first film. If I'm right it's when Neo is arrested by the agents and put into that room with the single table. The first shot of the room is through a monitor that camera "floats" through...

i might have to watch the original again. which is hard to do now since watching reloaded.

interesting attention to the detail if what you say is true.

since you understand what the old man at the end is saying could you explain it to me, i saw it twice and between calling for his head from the cinema audience because of his jibber jabber i couldnt hear...so email me an explanation if you dont mind. email in my profile.

• 4 weeks later...

I FINALLY broke down and saw it yesterday.

FRICKING AWESOME!!!

Did you guys understand the ending?

I did, it was TOO cool!!

Neo and his superman thing was a trip and 1/2!!

OK, I am going to talk a bit about the movie and give stuff away a bit, so if you don't like spoilers, DON'T READ THE REST of this post!!

I think that I got it now, the reason that Zion exists and everything else.

The matrix showed the upper level of the matrix, there are 3 levels, got that? 3 levels.

1 is REAL life, which we have YET to see, the second is the destroyed earth, Zion etc, it is the 2nd level of the matrix, and the 3rd level is the matrix where Neo breaks in from the 2nd level.

If you saw the reloaded, you will see that Neo is in a coma on a table, if you watch the camera view, you will see another guy on the table in the same condition, have you figured out why?

Neo now realizes that the ZION level is indeed just a 2nd level of the matrix, because he was able to destroy the sentinels with the powers he has in the matrix itself, so in essence, the Matrix STILL has him. He understands this now, and is in a coma because of it, he needs to reboot so to speak.

The 2nd guy that we see, is the guy that Agent Smith infected and got transferred out when he answered the phone. He now understand that there are 3 levels to the matrix and has to "reboot" as well. This is ALSO why Neo was able to bring Trinity back

This should get really interesting REALLY fast,

Agent Smith is now able to walk freely through the 2nd level of the matrix, since he was able to infect the revolutionary and use his body to transfer his program there. Now, will agent Smith remain Neo's enemy on the 2nd level, or will he help Neo now that he has been able to free himself from the third level, thanks to Neo.

OK, that is as far as I can go with guesswork, but it seems like the logical conclusion.

What do you guys think?

It's a very valid theory Jag, but it would also mean that things are incredibly hopeless for humanity if so.

Even worse, what if at the very end of the movies, it zooms out, and the entire story was some kid playing a video game...