Night at the Movies - T3

Andergum

Just got back from T3.

Totally awesome movie. Great car/truck/terminator chase scenes and quite a bit of humor. It had me going from hanging on to the edge of my seat to laughing and back constantly. Best Terminator so far IMO.

darn it!! You b*astard, I wanted to be the first to post about this!!

heh, I saw it too. Absolutely awesome mindless fun. Gonna go see it again this weekend.

10/10 (a rare score from me I think)

Man, Arnud still has it huh? I mean the physique, mannerism and everything.

...now waiting for Bad Boys II

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

Wasn't some of Bad Boy's 2 filmed in your home town SC? I think I remember being down that way at the time and I got rerouted all the hell over town to avoid the area their scenes were being shot on.

That was down in Miami

It'll probably take me a week to finally make up my mind on T3. I think it's got to hold some kind of record for the most car explosions in a single movie, though. There was a LOT less philosophy and depth in this one than either T1 or T2... plus it suffers from NSS (Nostalgic Sequel Syndrom) - a problem that has sunk such movies as Jurassic Park 2 & 3, and Men in Black 2, but to a much lesser degree. Self-deprication abounds as this installment doesn't even make a feeble attempt to be as serious as the last two films. One liners like "She'll be back" and "Talk to the hand" abound.

T3 also relied extensively on CGI to achieve most of it's effects... James Cameron is on the record as saying that he would'nt have used CGI for T2 if he didn't absolutely have to, unfortunately Cameron wouldn't touch this project. That means none of that o-so-authentic footage that Cameron films are renowned for. The new director went George Lucas-CGI-happy (Translation: The creative and artistic style that made movies like T, T2, and the Abyss so memorable has been replaced by the "Hey, since digital explosions are so cheap... we can blow EVERYTHING up!" state of mind). Seriously, I don't think there's a vehicle in the movie that dosn't go mushroom cloud at some point.

For instance (No spoilers), the bad Terminator may plow the wall in a big truck... so Arnold will plow the wall with an even BIGGER truck (And always follow up with a half-recycled Arnold one-liner)!

If a mindless action flick is what you want, this is the ultimate mindless action flick. We've got nekid female Terminators, Arnold Shwarzenegger, plenty of car chases, lots of gunfights, campy one-liners a-plenty, and more explosions than all the Bond movies past, present, and future... combined.

IMHO, T3 falls into the same mindless category as Charlies Angels 2... but with (arguably) less ass.

Score 5/10

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

IMHO, T3 falls into the same mindless category as Charlies Angels 2... but with (arguably) less ass.

Dunno about you m8, but I'll take the T2K's single ass (remember the naked walk?) over the three in Charlie's Angels.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

quote:

If a mindless action flick is what you want, this is the ultimate mindless action flick. We've got nekid female Terminators, Arnold Shwarzenegger, plenty of car chases, lots of gunfights, campy one-liners a-plenty, and more explosions than all the Bond movies past, present, and future... combined.

Sounds like the *perfect* Summer Action popcorn Flick to me. You do remember this is the SUMMER Blockbuster Season right..

If you want an Artsy talk fest go see movies in November or Januay. This movie perfectly Fits the bill for a Fun *ENTERTAINING* *SUMMER* Action movie.

Oh yea.. and the King of the world lost it imo a long time ago....

Guest $iLk

Just saw it... finished off the series well enough, though I personally would like to see one of the films set in the future...

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Just saw it... finished off the series well enough, though I personally would like to see one of the films set in the future...

No doubt there will be a T4. If you listened to the ending narrative from John Connor, you will hear him say that the war has just begun. And since judgement day was always supposed to happen, no doubt the next one will take place on that day and focus on the ultimate war of man vs machine.

But given his age and the time it took to go from T2 to T3, it is highly unlikely that Arnold will be in it.

Guest $iLk

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Unfortunately we all kind of know the ending I guess. Judgement day was inevitable, but as far as the future, I would think that simply John Connor's life being knocked off course by the Terminator time travels could have kept him from being where he needed to be, of course my friend brought up the point, that had the terminators not gone back through time, he would not have ended up where he was, so it's kind of like a time loop paradox or something, where the terminators caused their own destruction by placing John Connor as head of the resistance themselves.

Something else unfortunate... the Terminator used to be scary, but now looks outdated. Not sure if a 4th film would be anything more than 80's nostalgia come to life...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

But given his age and the time it took to go from T2 to T3, it is highly unlikely that Arnold will be in it.

yeah and plus it couldn't happen in the story since nothing involves the Terminator during the war.

*SPOILER*

they also pretty much showed us the end of the war at the beginning of the film. with John Connor and his troops cheering and the flag there and stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

quote:

yeah and plus it couldn't happen in the story since nothing involves the Terminator during the war.

*SPOILER*

they also pretty much showed us the end of the war at the beginning of the film. with John Connor and his troops cheering and the flag there and stuff.

Unless another T-101 comes back in time for some reason...

quote:

*SPOILER*

Not really. It could just be a resistance rally celebrating some major victory, and not necessarily the end of the war.

quote:

quote:

*SPOILER*

Not really. It could just be a resistance rally celebrating some major victory, and not necessarily the end of the war.

true

we'll probably have to wait for the next one to find out

And if the machines win we then have The Matrix. (Think about it, hehe) Don't ya just love time loop paradox's?

8/10

That homage to the first film was a bit much. The rest was pretty good. "She'll be back" was a good line but too late. "Talk to the hand" Ughhh I hate that mannerism. Even in real life. Really detracted from the movie. It can't hold a candle to Hasta la vista baby.

quote:

Perhaps not. But I read on Entertainment Weekly (now exclusively on AOL sucks for ya'll and me since I can 't back it up) that Arnold had to sink some of his own money in it to get it finished.

Wonder how it's doing?

Edit in: from associated press

1. ''Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines,'' $44 million.

2. ''Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde,'' $22.9 million.

3. ''Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle,'' $14.2 million.

4. ''Finding Nemo,'' $11 million.

5. ''The Hulk,'' $8.2 million.

6. ''Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas,'' $6.8 million.

7. ''28 Days Later,'' $6.1 million.

8. ''The Italian Job,'' $4.3 million.

9. ''Bruce Almighty,'' $4 million.

10. ''2 Fast 2 Furious,'' $2.4 million.

[ 07-06-2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Chavik ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

is it me or that movie listing is unimpressive (money-wise) compared to what we usually see?

According to this article, revenues are down about 9 percent from the same period last year.

Well that's to be expected with the slump in the economy this year. To top that off here in NYC taxes have gone thru the roof subway fares increased but salaries have remained the same (that's if you are lucky to have a decent job) no one really has the money for movies lets see $10 for the movie $8 for the soda and popcorn (special combo price) so for two people it's $28 for that plus a couple of bucks more you can buy a game like BCMG that'll last you a hell of a lot longer and alot more enjoyable in the comfort of your own home. The reason I say that about enjoyable is becuase the last few times I went to see a movie some crack heads didn't turn off their cell phone ringer. The last movie I saw was LOTR two towers and it happened again there I was totally engrossed in the movie during the helms deep battle I get pulled back to reality cause just four seats to the right of me there was a couple there that didn't turn off their cell phone. I was so Gd mad I felt like going Orchish on them. I'm almost afraid to go see T3 in the movies cause if it happens again I'm gunna go Hasta La Vista Baby on them......

[ 07-07-2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

As in another thread about games you can always wait a week or so then go on a Sat or Sun early matinee. Or an oddball night like Tues. I went to see this movie Sat at 2:35. It was more crowded than I thought it would be. I suppose because it was openeing weekend. Thank goodness I took an outside aisle seat. I didn't have to sit next to some creepy stranger.

YECH! Movies like 2Fast2Furious, T3 and Charlies Angels2 represent everything I loathe about what passes for Hollywood these days. The first Terminator

cost probably a tenth of T3 and made up for it with tight direction and a witty script. Today throw in some catch phrases, car crashes, wire fighting,and CGI effects then top it off with a trailer that includes all the best moments and voila' big hollywood movie, how utterly insipid.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

YECH! Movies like 2Fast2Furious, T3 and Charlies Angels2 represent everything I loathe about what passes for Hollywood these days. The first Terminator

cost probably a tenth of T3 and made up for it with tight direction and a witty script. Today throw in some catch phrases, car crashes, wire fighting,and CGI effects then top it off with a trailer that includes all the best moments and voila' big hollywood movie, how utterly insipid.

Looks like you need to find another form of entertainment? How about cultivating an ant farm?

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Actually 44 million is not to bad. It made 72 mil since Tuesday night. Its an R rated film that did not have a whole lot of hype behind it.