Night at the Movies - T3

Andergum

I'll admit my reaction was made without me actually seeing any of the three movies I blasted. Do I intend to see them? No . Nor shall I cultivate an ant farm as some have suggested. No I'll just hold out for a movie that appeals to the triple digit IQ crowd. I plan on seeing 28 Days Later, Pirates,(Johnny Depp)and Bend It Like Beckham

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

is it me or that movie listing is unimpressive (money-wise) compared to what we usually see?

According to this article, revenues are down about 9 percent from the same period last year.

in short

"Teh g4m3s R 0wning teh m0vi3s!"

anyone who translates that gets a cookie

quote:

quote:

Video/computer gaming entertainment has surpassed movies in revenues.

Or at least according to this article. Where's my cookie?

Oh and here is the shocker of the day.

pfft! i'll mail you a coupon

shock of the day? not for me:

"Oops I did it again!"

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

quote:

quote:

Video/computer gaming entertainment has surpassed movies in revenues.

Or at least according to this article. Where's my cookie?

Oh and here is the shocker of the day.

pfft! i'll mail you a coupon

shock of the day? not for me:

"Oops I did it again!"

Britney Spears:

ÔÇ£Seriously, I havenÔÇÖt had a boy in a really long time, and IÔÇÖm really craving ... just a kiss, man. Just a kiss would be nice.ÔÇØ

I hope this won't be a next BS (Britney Spears) movie theme. Wanna talk about box office sales suicide never mind the studio that backs the movie.

Of all things, just this morning, some local DJ's got a radio interview with the guy who plays John Connor and I heard it. He has signed up for T4 and T5. Arnold may or may not be in them but he is really fit. And of course just because dude signed up doesn't mean they (T4/T5) would be made but interesting none the less.

Chavik, you can count to three!? congrats! All kidding aside I LIKE movies! I really do! I don't expect that every one of them has to be Citizen Kane. But some effort should go into engaging the audience beside blowing things up. I'm just fed up with paying eight bucks to see an hour and twenty minutes of one liners and car chases arranged around the trailers we saw for the movie. As far as your description of my choices, 28 days si directed by Danny Boyle who directed Trainspotting and is a very talented filmmaker, Pirates because my daughter wants to see it after riding the damn thing last year at DisneyWorld and Beckham because of my wife. So There!

Certainly 21 but I got to be naked for that. You know I'm troll bait. Troll like that and I'm gonna respond. You admit you haven't seen them yet slam them anyway. By bringing up the "triple digit IQ crowd", you insinuate that T3 and Charlie's Angels are of such poor quality only mindless idiots would watch them. Then you bring up three more movies that are seemingly of the same quality yet these somehow would appeal to the triple digit IQ crowd.

28 Days Later - Remake of Night of the living Dead. Zombies appeal to the triple digit IQ crowd?

Pirates of the Carribean - Inspired by a Disney World ride and Johnny Depp plays the pretty pirate. Truly wonderful cinema in the making.

Bend it like Beckham - Like I said. ABC Movie of the Week . Poor little girl wants to play soccer.

T3 was ok. Not Star Wars, Not T1 but ok. Cars cannot drive themselves. And I've already mentioned the homage thing.

I won't be seeing Charlie's Angels either. Humor looks too cheesy. I certainly won't go see Bend it Like Beckham. A friend likes the Bajeesuss scared out of her so I might go see 28 Days Later. She also wants to see Johnny Depp as the pretty pirate.

If you're going to rail against da hollywood man at least rail against something that is truly insipid like Dumb and Dumber and/or Dumb and Dumberer.

Last reply. I'll bet you didnt see Dumb and Dumberer.

You didnt have to see it to revile it, just as I don't have to see 2Fast2Furious or Charlies Angels to know they are crap. On T3, I'll take the hit cause I probably will see it, so shame on me. I do rail against "hollowwood" blockbusters and do tend to like

movies with more substance. If you saw 28 Days you would see it is much more than a remake of NOTLD. It has subtext! a theme missing from the movies I knocked. So if your feelings were hurt by my IQ statememt , i'm sorry. I spend considerable time watching and collecting great films (8 1/2, Seven Samurai, Touch of Evil, etc..) My favorite directors are people like Wyler, Ford, Fellini, Fasbinder, Wells, Wilder, Kurosawa, Almodavar (see Tie MeUp, Tie Me Down, or Women on the Verge of Nervous Breakdown)I'm also fond of more modern directors like Mike Nichols, James Ivory,and to a lessor extent Tarentino. Very few young directors have anything more than a frenetic visual style, since many of them come from directing music videos. That is where Im coming from. And since most films today are greenlighted by accountants and lawyers, it is no suprise we get stuck with dreck.

Race still doesn't get it. Notice that I left your first rant alone. That was perfectly valid. I took exception to your second rant where you slammed the movies you mentioned then offered up more of the same. I feel you compared apples to apples when your second post made it seem like you were comparing coal to diamonds.

Let me do what I feel you did.

"I will not see Dumb and Dumber. I hate movies that cater to the absolute lowest denominator in society. I will go rent Weekend at Bernie's. "

Some could argue that Weekend at Bernie's also caters to the lowest denominator in society. Perhaps rightfully so. But by saying first that Dumb and dumber caters to the lowest denominator in society, and by then saying I will go rent Weekend at Bernie's instead, I imply Weekend at Bernie's is better.

That's the way I read your second rant. You slammed standard summer fare and then offered up more standard summer fare. Not a good comparison. If perhaps you had mentioned the films you mentioned above then maybe I wouldn't have pounced on that second post. Then again maybe I would have. To late to tell now.

As for your third post (the one above) that is valid as well. I'm glad you enjoy films with substance. Your views are your own and perfectly acceptable.

Reply if you wish. I'm not mad at you and my argument is about wound down. Off topic anyway and I can't keep dragging T3 into to it to give lip service to staying on topic.

Good point. I do get it, we just disagree. I still think those other two movies are crap., and think at the very least 28Days attempts to appeal more asthetically. I will however go see T3.

Heres my handful of coppers for ya.

28 Days Later (IMHO) is more like a remake of the original 60's classic "Day Of The Triffids" rather than NOTLD and it's ilk. Sure it has zombiesque mutants as a back story, but the real guts of the film focusses on the band of survivors and their struggle against nature and fellow man.

If you watch this film and recall DOTT you'll instantly spot the comparisons.

28 Days Later is bloody scary though. Nothing has gotten to me like that flic since I watched the original Alien when I was around 13.

Now my opinions on past, present and future :-

T3 has to be seen. I dont care what anyone says, after Arnies last outing as a fireman in (OMG what was that shite film?) this has to be good. - roll on August.

Hulk doesnt really do it for me but I'll watch it on DVD when it comes out.

Solaris has me interested, but I know zilch about it.

Daredevil (Which I recently saw on DVD) sucks worse than a $10 hooker.

Bend It Like Beckham is such arse I actually wanted to lobotomise myself after enduring it for nearly two hours - I suggest you watch Pele in Escape To Victory again instead.

Full Throttle has Cameron Diaz and her bottom. 'nuff said.

2Fast2Furious - yawn.

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen has me worried. From the little I've seen and heard about it, there shall be no local shops with local people - so It's got a chance of being entertaining. Throw Sean Connery into the mix (Who incidently looks around 20 years younger in the trailers I've seen) and you got ... well, somthing.

X2 I have yet to see but it's on my "Must Watch When It Hits Rental" stage.

Lucky Lady - Ok so it was made in 1973 (ish) and is a black comedy about Rum runners in the early 30's but It's got Burt Reynolds, Liza Manelli and Gene Hackman in it and is my 100% favorite film in the entire universe after Aliens. If you've not heard of it, try try try and find it somwhere.

Think thats about it for now. Apologies for the long rant - been a few days since I've had the strength to muster up a posting and didnt want to waste it on 2 or 3 trite posts.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

YECH! Movies like 2Fast2Furious, T3 and Charlies Angels2 represent everything I loathe about what passes for Hollywood these days. The first Terminator

cost probably a tenth of T3 and made up for it with tight direction and a witty script. Today throw in some catch phrases, car crashes, wire fighting,and CGI effects then top it off with a trailer that includes all the best moments and voila' big hollywood movie, how utterly insipid.

ok i half agree with race here. the hulk was a prime example of putting the best stuff in the trailer. an hour and a half of boredom followed by 45 minutes of action (albeit good action). you have those films that are just cookie cutter movies IMO. for instance... action movies where there is going to be a big hand to hand match... 95% of the time before the fight each character does the obligitory "look and see how much of a bada$$ i am" scene where they do all these super spiffy kungfu moves on bags of rice, punchingbags, etc... sword swinging, staff hitting BFD.

i love car chases as much as the next joe, but even they are starting to be run o the mill. and ever since the matrix came out, just about every action flick has the slow-mo kick/punch move. as for the wire fighting, the only movie (recent) that i loved with that was crouching tiger hidden dragon. it reminded me of the old school kung-fu movies i loved watching growing up...

i too would like to see a more varied selection from hollywood. but to a point. i can take some intellectual stuff to a certain degree, then i need to see something explode... be it a head, a car, or whatever.

ok on topic. T3 to me was pretty damn good. to me the trailer did the movie injustice. the one liners do get cheesey after awhile, but give me a platter of nachos and a high bodycount and im happy. till i hop on my intellectual pony again

9/10 because i could not hold going to the bathroom any longer and i missed about 2 minutes (could have been an important plot advancement)

Wow. I think some of you look way too deeply into movies, which are merely forms of *entertainment*. While, granted, I like a smart and engrossing film as much as the next guy, I can actually enjoy a stupid action movie for what it is ... big screen fun.

Blades,Chavik you're (gulp) ...right. The wife and I saw Bend it Like Beckham last night and frankly I'm not sure our marriage will survive it. Seriously, it was one of the most inane mind numbing experiences I can recall. I place it slightly below removing my own spleen with a cocktail fork on my wish list. Half way through I'm starting to enter REM sleep when my wife tells me I'm snoring. When I complain about how boring it was she says " well you wanted to see it"

UNBELIEVABLE! Needless to say it was a quiet ride home. The only saving grace is the Indian(?) chick is kinda hot and is supposed to be on ER next season.

After I go see T3, I'm swearing off movies for awhile. I got a copy of Splinter Cell not even opened yet as well as Mace Griffin , NCAA 2004 and

a reservation for a little game called Knights of the Old Republic. See you guys in a few days

Guest Grayfox

quote:

I got a copy of Splinter Cell not even opened yet as well as Mace Griffin , NCAA 2004 and

a reservation for a little game called Knights of the Old Republic. See you guys in a few days

god i really envy you sometimes...

must...get...xbox...

quote:

Blades,Chavik you're (gulp) ...right.

Oh, no, dear Race. I wouldn't even begin to think of having the barest inkling of taking the most minscule part of credit for that. Blades is the one that saw it. I would never see it in the first place. I generally don't like anything based on a true story or loosely based on facts. I live real life; why would I want to go watch someone else's?

Just tell me a good story. Preferably in space.

• 1 year later...

Well I saw this movie last year and I didn't like it I mean so much of it was like "been there, done that". I admit the cemetary was pretty cool, but man. And I honesty don't think or hope the Governator will be in the next movie.

Plus How do you make a movie set in a war? I mean you'd have to see the end of it or show the turning point of the war. What do ya'll think?

6/10