Night at the movies - Open Range

Supreme Cmdr

OK, I'm a big fan of Westerns and own a bunch of them on video and DVD. In fact, I've collected every western that Clint Eastwood did and all Sergio Leone's works blah, blah.

Anyway, Kevin Costner gets a bad rap (and I don't give a toss for critics, I liked Dances With Elves) but I went in to see a western and I didn't give a toss who was in it - except of course for Robert Duvall.

This movie is damn good and I hope Hollywood starts making westerns again. The pacing was just right, the subtle violence well done and the gunfights reminiscent of classic westerns.

If you like westerns - even if you hate Costner - go see this movie. At 2:18 runtime, you won't even notice how long it is. I plan on going to see it again - this time with the missus in tow.

10/10

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

OK, I'm a big fan of Westerns and own a bunch of them on video and DVD. In fact, I've collected every western that Clint Eastwood did and all Sergio Leone's works blah, blah.

Anyway, Kevin Costner gets a bad rap (and I don't give a toss for critics, I liked Dances With Elves) but I went in to see a western and I didn't give a toss who was in it - except of course for Robert Duvall.

This movie is damn good and I hope Hollywood starts making westerns again. The pacing was just right, the subtle violence well done and the gunfights reminiscent of classic westerns.

If you like westerns - even if you hate Costner - go see this movie. At 2:18 runtime, you won't even notice how long it is. I plan on going to see it again - this time with the missus in tow.

10/10

(Scratching Head) Was there a movie I missed with Kevin Costner? Dances with elves? Wonder if you mean Robin Hood

Glad to hear however it's not another WaterWorld western style. Other than that one, I've liked all the other movies he's made. My favorite being The Untouchables.

I think we're talking about "Dances With Wolves". I agree with the SC here, Cosner has been given a bad rap all the way around. Haven't seen the latest of his releases but I plan on going to see it. Maybe the goobers out in movie land will start doing westerns again. It seems that there are no more original thinkers out there though. Just about everything I'm seeing coming down the pike are "do overs". How about an original for a change? JMHO though!

quote:

Originally posted by Rattler:

I think we're talking about "Dances With Wolves".

Of course

Anyway, the last best Western from Hollywood was Tombstone. In fact, I recently picked up the Special Edition release. I must've watched that a dozen or more times.

I will be in the theatre(with the missus) on her birthday to see this one. I too think Costner gets a bad rap, but Dances was a widely acclaimed Oscar award winning film. I liked the Postman and Waterworld which were both panned by critics. Speaking of Tombstone SC are there any restored scenes in this version or a directors cut? I have seen Tombstone so many times that some of my friends and I can recite the dialogue word for word. (Sad, I know but true)

I too agree it is the best post modern western and I feel Val Kilmer's performance was oscar worthy. Ironically Costner's Wyatt Earp came out around the same time and was expected to be the better film. So much for critical acclaim.

quote:

Originally posted by Race Bannon IV:

I will be in the theatre(with the missus) on her birthday to see this one. I too think Costner gets a bad rap, but Dances was a widely acclaimed Oscar award winning film. I liked the Postman and Waterworld which were both panned by critics. Speaking of Tombstone SC are there any restored scenes in this version or a directors cut? I have seen Tombstone so many times that some of my friends and I can recite the dialogue word for word. (Sad, I know but true)

Yeah, I liked both the Postman and Waterworld (to some extent. OK, so I'm insane).

The DVD is the Director's Cut and has the usual crap. Best of all it has DTS 5.1, Dolby 5.1, THX, widescreen 2.35:1 enhanced for 16x9 TVs, a collectible Tombstone map, a "making of" segment and a bunch of other crap. In other words, your typical Director's Cut rippoff