Movie Night: Gladiator

Rippen

Just saw Gladiator!

From the moment this movie starts, you know that this is going to be a kick butt movie! The acting is top notch, and the directing is phenomanal!! Ridley Scott is a GOD! Russle Crowe is the epitome of "badass". River Phoenix's brother is kinda whiney, but I guess that's the way he's supposed to be, so he did a good job. Of course, then theirs the gladiator scenes, which rock the boat, then tilt the boat over. I did a Keanu impression many times...."woa!"

Anyway, go see it. It's kinda long (around 2.5 hours), but it's worth it.

Guest Ron Wallin

I completely agree! Gladiator is a solid movie. Great f/x, script and actors! Here's to hoping Battlefield Earth is half as good... (having already read the book, i doubt Travolta can fill the shoes of the character he's acting)

The pacing in the movie is incredible. The photography mixed witht the F/X is UNBELIEVABLE. The music is awesome. The acting is solid. The action is top notch. It would be hard (make that impossible) for me to pick Ridley Scott's best movie ever, but I do have three candidates...

It was one bad $, $*#) $&%#@#, $*%@'ing, #$(^, mother of a #*$#, *$(, #(*&'in movie....

Hmm. Sounds like I gotta go see this movie!

I guess I better wait till next week though. No need to screw up my studies at the last minute. I graduate next Saturday, but have a paper to write first.

[This message has been edited by canusa (edited 05-06-2000).]

Guest Remo Williams

Hey thanks for the review guys. I'm going to check it out this afternoon. Sounds like a great flick its been along time since I've seen a solid movie.

------------------

Cmdr. Remo Williams

GCV-Lexington

Prime Fleet

Gamma Wing

1st Squadron, (The Guarddogs)

I think they're getting refferal commissions to the general cinemas *grin* wink.gif

I like the Ad on TV though... and that's enuf for me, been a long time I've seen a good TV ad smile.gif

BF:Earth has good potential, the book has a superficial plot and storyline to allow it to be reproduced by hollywood. After seeing the preview for BF:Earth, I am now convinced that Hollywood has it's own patented Murphy's Law: "If it can be screwed, we will!" . Nothing in the preview itself looks remotely familiar to the book..good grief! rolleyes.gif

Off to the movies!

Another good Flick would be U-571. Enjoyed it alot. Go see it, you won't be disappointed.

smile.gif

------------------

CMDR GREG MILLER (GMAN)

ORION FLEET

EXECUTIVE OFFICER

TSUNAMI BATTLE GROUP

GCV - SARK

ICQ 64202480

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

'The righteous care about justice for all,

but the wicked have no such concern.'

[email protected]

Dude, this movie rocked! Everything I liked about it has already been covered, so I'll just skip over that. My only gripe about the movie was how the ending kinda didn't actually happen (although no one would've liked it if it turned out the way it was supposed to).

------------------

Captain TBone

GCV Delorean

"If you're gonna build a time machine, you might as well do it in style"

http://www.ew.com/ew/moviepreview/0,3971,1...ietrailers.html

Here's a link. The trailers are cool. Standard links on the left. Titan AE looks good as does the X-Men. Of course the trailers can make anything look good. Just saw a new trailer for Wing Commander on a Blockbuster movie I rented. If I hadn't already seen it I would have gotten it the next weekend. smile.gif

A word of warning though, the site has those darn popups trying to get you to sobscribe to the paper mag. I hate those things. But the info is good.

If you can find it, look for a trailer for a movie called Blue Planet, an all CGI animated movie that's been in the works for frigin' ever (Don't know if it's been scrapped or what, but I saw the preview about 2 years ago on the net). The first half of the trailer is HILARIOUS, and the rest of it rocks.

Looks like I found a fan sight that has the trailer in real video (if the quality lags then look for the AVI version out there) http://www.lone.net/blueplanet/

[This message has been edited by Vorpal (edited 05-08-2000).]

I went to see Gladiator. We left after the first hour. Right when he was about to enter the arena for the first time. As soon as the door opened and one of them got his head bashed in, and a whole pool of blood emerged, I got smacked and we had to leave. I would have left anyway, but not particularly at that point. We ended up seeing Gossip. Go figure.

I have to say that I don't particularly have a stomach for gory movies that are over the top, for that reason, what I saw of Gladiator makes it a movie I don't want to see. As for Private Ryan, after the first beach battle scene, I left.

Movies don't have to be violent for them to be fun, but I guess in the case of Private Ryan, it was a necessary evil. However, when Spartacus was made, it became an instant classic without any of the gory details that Gladiator seems to excel at. I'll never see Gladiator. I liked everything else about it, apart from Russel Crowe being one of my fav actors. I just don't like the violent nature and the graphic depiction of same. They could have toned it down a bit. But, it took home $32m in its opening weekend, and I doubt that MI-2 will even top that.

The movie is absolutely and unecessarily graphic and every review has pointed this out. Thats my take.

I can totaly respect your point about the violence. To each their own. For me everything was too quick for it too settle in and they put a lot of jig into the camera during fight scenes so it all seemed like a blur with a few second of clarity on something particularly nasty, then the camera would cut away to something else quickly.

It's similar to the way Scott wanted to present the Alien in uhm.. Alien. Very quick shots so that you never get a "good look" at the thing, that way your imagination takes over some of the task of watching the movie.

As for MI-2 I hope it does well. I LOVE John Woo movies and I'm hoping this one ranks.

For something light, Return to Me was alot funnier then I was expecting. Plot was just ok but they did a real good job on the casting.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Gladiator. Good movie worth the time and money.

One point: Maximus must possess and have used HYPERDRIVE to go from Germania to Spain in record time and two horses (he used the famous Roman Equine HyperDrive).

Cmdr. Doc Hoover

GCV JOHN PAUL JONES

"You don't have to accept every invitation you receive, to an argument.

[This message has been edited by thanatos (edited 05-17-2000).]