Movie Previews: Final Fantasy

Charles Lindsey

No, the movie is not related to any of the other Final Fantasy games. Any of them. The movie is set much farther in the future than any of the games ever were, for Nintendo, Playstation, PC, or Gameboy.

quote:

Or am I just totally wacked?

Yes.

Nintendo didn't really make that many Final Fantasy games with Squaresoft... only three for the major consoles. Playstation took the rest because of the better graphics and could playback movies.

yea I know... but I still clasifiy them as "nintendos games" becasue I have the first

2... (ok so thats a lame excuse..)

Now back to the topic...I heard it took 4 years to draw/make the main character for the movie and they had 26 artists working on her face alone...

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Herro YuY ]

I hears she has 60,000 individually modeled strands of hair. I shudder at what that alone would do to my system. Then I consider animating that... I need a faster computer... Did I say computer? I ment 600 computers.

Did any of Square's FF games have anything to do with each other?

Dumb question, maybe, but I've only seen FF7, FF8 and whatever their current one is (9 or 10). From what I remember reading, there weren't any really "continuous" plot strands or sequel/prequel deals - IIRC, they never even kept the same magic system twice...

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

Not exactly true. In FF1 through FF3 (the Japanese versions, not the American ones), they all used the same spell system.

FF1 was the father of them all. Unfortunately, it had just about no semblance of an RPG whatsoever other than the fact that you built up your characters.

FF2 was when they started gravitating towards having the characters as living breathing creatures. Also the first game where the party members actually talked.

FF3 was their attempt to add a plot as well. I didn't like it, and they had a nutso character class system.

FF4 was released as Final Fantasy II in North America. The first game with a true plot and character development. Also one of the greatest games of all time. It was initially supposed to be on the NES, but Nintendo contracted Square to build it on the SNES to take advantage of its special features. And they did.

FF5 wasn't released in America until recently, using a weird-assed soft emulation on the Playstation. It was for the Super Famicom, Japan's version of the SNES. It had an intuitive character class system, but the goal of the game was just about a carbon copy of FF1.

FF6 was released as Final Fantasy III in America. Considered to be one of the greatest roleplaying games, and if you don't have it, go get it now.

FF7 was released as the same in North America, for the PSX. It took full-advantage of full-motion video and the like. Great game, which you should also play. It also introduced the materia system, a clever and intuitive way to add magical abilities to characters.

FF8 was yet another one. They changed it so all of the characters were proportionately sized. FF8 was released on the same day as the Dreamcast, and it sold 400,000 units as compared to 300,000 Dreamcasts. It was also their attempt at having romance in an RPG. Didn't work out too well in my opinion, but heck, what can I say, I thought Selfie was hot.

FF9 was one where they DESPERATELY tried to have characters fully fleshed out. My, Princess Garnet had a lot of, um, flesh. Uh, yeah. Actually, it's a great game, another one where if you haven't tried it you should.

When they're finished, FF10 through FF12 will be released one week after each other. Don't ask me why, seems like a strange marketing ploy. Whatever makes Squaresoft happy, though.

* Spuzzum is well-learned in the arts of Final Fantasy. However, he is also confused as to how if it is "Final", how in the HELL can they have 12 finals?!

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

Did
any
of Square's FF games have
anything
to do with each other?

Dumb question, maybe, but I've only seen FF7, FF8 and whatever their current one is (9 or 10). From what I remember reading, there weren't any really "continuous" plot strands or sequel/prequel deals - IIRC, they never even kept the same magic system twice...

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

In answer to your question, no, they didn't. The plots were all different, also some of the game elements were the same.

Spuzzum: What on Earth are you drinking and where can I get some?

quote:

* Spuzzum is well-learned in the arts of Final Fantasy. However, he is also confused as to how if it is "Final", how in the HELL can they have 12 finals?!

I can field this one.

Back in the 1980's, when video games began to emerge, Enix released its series known as DragonQuest (Dragonwarrior in the US, the first RPG for NES).

Well, Enix was doing extremely well. They were the first company to churn out some quality RPG games, and Squaresoft was quickly being buried under. Squaresoft was running on fumes when they decided to create a game on a last-ditch-effort, having nearly no finances left, but wanting to leave their mark in the RPG industry.

Since the company had nearly no hopes of survival, they gave the game the name "Final Fantasy," since it would be their supposedly final game.

Fortunately enough, the game sold quite well, pulling Squaresoft back into competition with Enix. Final Fantasy didn't sell nearly as well as DragonQuest, but the numbers were high enough to keep Square on its feet.

Thus, being so successful with one Final Fantasy, the company continued to churn out more and more of these phenomenal games. While Squaresoft might not have gone under twelve times in a row, they simply want to keep a tradition of good RPG's.

Does that answer your question?!

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Delgard ]

• Final Fantasy 10: PS2, all 3D

• Final Fantasy 11: Supposedly for PC as a multiplayer game, possibly MMOG.

• Final Fantasy 12: Never heard of it. Of course, I could be getting confused with FF11.

There're so many!

Guest $iLk

Dragon Warrior was cool...

I liked Final Fantasy II, never really paid much attention after that, although my friend keeps saying shit about hot dogs in final fantasy VIII, WTF? anyway I will probably see the movie cause I am interested in the CG effects.

LOL I believe the hot dogs hes refering to are the ones that you order when your ont the floting fortress(I don't remember what it's called)

As for the movie i'm also going to see it becasue of the CGI... (and maybe also becasue the girl looks kinda good )

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: Herro YuY ]

I was wondering about all that. Didn't seem right that a film studio could make such a big snafu on a name like that.

All I remember from renting those things is you ran around, got jumped by an icon, then went into this other screen with a combo of bad guys that threw spells at you. Then it turn based back to you and so forth till someone won.

Pretty boring. But with a two day rental didn't really have time to get into the "plot". Someone could say the same about the free Wing Commander game I liked. "All you do is shoot ships, Boring." So fair is fair.

Still looks cool though. On my list of movies to see.

quote:

FF1 was the father of them all. Unfortunately, it had just about no semblance of an RPG whatsoever other than the fact that you built up your characters.

All it was were the characters (fighter/red mage/white mage/black mage/the martial arts guy) and a really loose-ish storyline about something I cant remember.

It was really fun though.

Nintendo sucks even thouh I have all but 2 of their systems (GBA and Virtual Boy)