Movies: Ghosts of Mars

Outlaw

One thing about Carpenter is that his movies are either really good or really bad. I havn't seen Ghosts of Mars but I can explain exactly why I expect it to suck (An so will likely not see it). Just from the trailers you can tell that the movie dosnt have a very big budget, and I get that "bargain sci-fi movie" vibe every time I watch it. Next, an unequivocal rule of film:

Any movie which stars or otherwise makes use of a rapper, pop singer, vocal artisan, professional wrestler, or other professional from a specialized field other than stage or film (Extending less strictly to those associated with network television) is absolutely destined to fail.

As a Carpenter fan, I went to see it late last night (what?!? I couldn't sleep!), across the street. About an hour into it (right at the point where they finally show the heads on stakes atop a hill...and then the leader was in the canyon lobbing off, yet more heads) - disgusted, I left.

I don't like movies which depict ultra graphics violence such as this (I could tell you why, but then I'd have to kill you) - gives me the shivers - so I left.

Did I miss a fun movie, or just some gore that didn't make the movie any better?

....I knew I should'a gone to see Rat Race instead

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

an unequivocal rule of film:

Any movie which stars or otherwise makes use of a rapper, pop singer, vocal artisan, professional wrestler, or other professional from a specialized field other than stage or film (Extending less strictly to those associated with network television) is absolutely destined to fail.

Really, I find this "unequivocal rule" of yours rather interesting. Especially as one of the most successful box office draws of all time started in film knowing almost no english and his only claim to fame at the time was having been Mr. Universe.

I am of course talking about Arnold Schwarzenegger, ever hear of him?

And what about Rowdy Roddy Piper? a wrestler (I'm not a wrestling fan) who made one really excellent film called 'They Live'.

Do you then believe that Martial Arts movies suck too?

Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, to name a few, started in competition sports...not acting...or rather movie making.

Perhaps you need to generalize less and express your opinion more succinctly.

I find it interesting how a person can formulate a negative opinion on something they haven't even seen. Now I personally have little interest in 'the Ghosts of Mars', except perhaps to wait for the video release, but I will likely check it out at a later date, and form an opinion after I have seen it.

Bear in mind, I'm not in total disagreement with you....Shaq, Hulk Hogan, Brian Bosworth and many others who started out in sports, should have stayed in sports, but most of the time, they are thrown bag loads of money and a stupid script and they don't give a damn about the movie itself. This seems to be the cookie cutter nature of mainstream 'blockbuster' making, but is not a statement for all films made with people who did not start out in acting...or classically trained actors.

Rant over.

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Hold on there pal,

I happen to LOVE Hulk Hogan and Brian Bozworth movies! Seriously.some of them are really entertaining.

There are a lot of Athletes, Musicians, artist of various fields that make some dang fine movies. example. Surviving the Game starring IceT. That movie totally rocks. Athletes make FAR better action movie stars than real actors. Did you see Tomb Raider? That movie totally SUCKED. Mostly becase Mrs Jollie cant do a decent action sequence to save her life. They all looked totally fake and unplausable. Action stars first and foremost have to deliver the Action in an exciting and believable fashion. Acting is secondary. Thats why there are few truly talented actors that can pull off a decent Action movie. Mel Gibson is about the only Real actor (Nicolas Cage to) that can whoup some a$$. You need someone whom, when he or she hit someone actually looks like it would hurt. Angelina would have gotten her a$$ kicked in the first 5 min of the movie. There are a few female actors who could have pulled it off. Segourney Weaver for example might not look the part but she can deliver a quality A$$ whouppin (alien 4).

When you look at the, A list, of action stars virtually no true theatre actor appears anywhere. Yet we all enjoy every min of our favorite action flick. Most populated by Athletes, Pop stars, and Martial artists. It’s all about who can deliver the A$$ whouppin and who cant.

quote:

Originally posted by Billy Bob:

The movies to wait for are Matrix 2 and Lord of the Rings.

Nay on the first, yay on the second. Never saw the Matrix at the cinema, but have watched it a couple of times on satellite. Was pretty disappointed (then what should I expect from a film with Keanu 'Wooden' Reeves anyway?). The concept was interesting and the effects were pretty good, but the meat and drink of any film ie the acting was pretty stilted and unconvincing.

The Lord of the Rings , however, I am very much looking forward to. I love Tolkien and the cast is pretty impressive. It will be interesting to see how the hobbit-human interactions are done as well. Another film I'm interested in seeing is Harry Potter, OK yes I'm 32, but I love those books!

Well, there are always exceptions. Maybe I should hve included that. My personality tends to require my stuffing people, places, things into little neatly labled boxes =)

But heads on spikes... people popping in airlocks.... this movie is starting to sound kind of interesting. The trailer for the movie is STILL a big turn off. Heres the impression I got out of it: I see low-budget horror/sci-fi flick with several hillariously stereotypical traits. We see a rapper in some type of prison (Ohhh THATS original) and the catch is that its Mars. Meanwhile, we have the renegade group of Marilyn Mansion worshippers who like to brutally kill people. The heros (Whoever they are) need the badass prison innmate to help defend whatever from the evil Marilyn Manson worshippers. Ok... now how on/off the point was I (Sarcasm notwithstanding)?