Night at the movies - Signs

Supreme Cmdr

It was a great suspenseful movie. Excellent acting. Good gags. Nice story.

.....until you got to the end. I almost wanted to kill myself.

Its one of those movies where the writer (Shyamalan) gets to the end and then wonders if he left the stove on. At which point he proceeds to wrap it up - QUICKLY & FOOLISHLY - and heads for home.

This movie had more laughable holes than my favorite bra.

7/10

[ 08-03-2002, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I liked it! I found it to be the first truly terrifying movie I have seen since Aliens - and at the time, I was like, eight. At Signs I gripped my fiancee's hand so hard she yelped

However, while I acknowledge the plot had its moments of mediocrity, I don't think the movie was about the aliens. It was more about the people and how they are changed. I think the writer did an excellent job there. These are all very real people, convincingly potrayed (heck, the kids were great too), and they are changed as a result of what's happened - good stuff overall.

Finally, I think the director did a great job of building suspense. He took his time, added onto it slowly and carefully throughout the film - the scene at the brazilian birthday party almost had me wanting to leave, I couldn't take it - and then, at the end, when *spoiler* does that thing with the *spoiler* to the *spoiler*, I wanted to cheer. Really loud.

Erik

******* SPOILER alert *******

Are you kidding me? Real people? How many people do you know, will go to their next door neighbor, find an alien there, chop his fingers off and go home like it never happened?

Oh, this part I like : how about the guy in the truck driving off to the Lake and telling Mel, in a matter-of-fact tone, "...oh, don't go in the pantry, I locked one of them in there"

How utterly ludicrous!

[ 08-03-2002, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Ohhh no! It's out!

How did you know about me at my neighbors house!

hahaha sorry couldn't resist.

I can't even watch the commercial, due to that kid. "There's a monster outside my bedroom, can I have a glass of water" freaks me out everytime I hear it.

********** SPOILER ALERT! **********

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

******* SPOILER ALERT *******

Are you kidding me? Real people? How many people do you know, will go to their next door neighbor, find an alien there, chop his fingers off and go home like it never happened?

Plenty of people! No seriously - just how tramatized would you be to discover that, not only does intelligent life exist elsewhere in the universe, not only does it want to harm us, but that in a first for intergalactic race relations you also cut off its bloody fingers with a kitchen knfe?

Keep in mind also that Mel was playing an ex-priest - the man could barely swear without wincing. He didn't mean the thing any harm - when those fingers came off it must have traumatised poor Mel quite a bit.

Besides - when he got home everybody already knew the aliens were for real - they were on TV by then. (errr, I think)

quote:

Oh, this part I like : how about the guy in the truck driving off to the Lake and telling Mel, in a matter-of-fact tone, "...oh, don't go in the pantry, I locked one of them in there"

How utterly ludicrous!

The guy in the truck was the director BTW. As for that part - again, put yourself in his shoes. Go to your next door neighbour and tell him you had a struggle with an alien and you locked him in the pantry*. You're traumatised - something just attacked you! - and you want to get the hell out of dodge. Heheheh.

*(Confucious say; 'Man trapped in pantry have ass in jam')

Guest Fox__Trot

quote:

Originally posted by Gryphon:

Mind if I add that to my sig? btw I thought the movie was ... ok to good

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

quote:

Originally posted by Gryphon:

Mind if I add that to my sig? btw I thought the movie was ... ok to good

Heh, the quote isn't mine - read it from someone's tagline back in BBS days.

I'll start with the spoiler-free review...

This movie was building up nicely, right up until the end. The story (especially the ending) had so many holes, the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. It did have some suspenseful moments (a girl a few rows ahead of me let out an ear-piercing scream at one point), and some well-placed comedy, but the ending was just unforgiveably bad.

4/10

**SPOILERS BELOW THIS POINT**

OK, I'm going to list all of the fatal flaws this story had. First, the trailers led you going to be some exciting alien encounters, but I was utterly dissapointed that I didn't get one good look at one of those aliens. Secondly, why did the aliens, who are obviously smart enough to get to Earth in the first place, completely unable to bash down a feeble wooden door? If they are weak physically, why wouldn't they bring down some sort of advanced equipment?

As for the whole water bit, it doesn't make sence that water is harmful to life, when it's actually ESSENTIAL to it. Even its chemical makeup is unimpressive. Hydrogen and oxygen. Wow. But I'd buy it, if it wasn't for this gross oversight; wouldn't the aliens discover Earth had water virtually everywhere, and go somewhere else? Even if they didn't, why didn't they bring some sort of rebreather to protect them from the water vapor in the air? Or some sort of chemical suit? It's also hard to believe the aliens would give up so easily.