(Mid)Night at the Movies - Star Wars: Episode II

Scrivener

If there had been no "Latino looking" people in the movie then they would probably be whining about that. sigh..

Anyway I went last night to see it and I must say it is much better than the last couple of Star Wars movies. (Empire still my fav but not by much)

Yeah some of the acting isn't so hot, and some of the love dialog is downright hokey, but the effects and story made up for it. Heh, I seem to remember Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford looking pretty bad in some parts of the first SW movie too. Don't believe me go back and watch it again.

I really liked the weapons and effects when Jango was being pursued by Obi-Wan in the asteroid field and the last battle was AMAZING!!!

Think Aliens meets Gladiator meets Starship Troopers meets Star Wars. WOW!!!

I'm going to see it again soon just to see that battle!!

Oh yeah, and Natalie Portman's clothes getting more and more ripped off as the battle progressed was nice too

[ 05-20-2002, 18:42: Message edited by: Andergum ]

I thought Hamil and Ford did a good job in all of the original trilogy, and had memorable lines that ***weren't painful*** like "Your so smooth". Normally I like to remember lines from movies because they are GOOD, not because they were PAINFUL.

[ 05-21-2002, 19:09: Message edited by: Dredd ]

Guest Grayfox

after much cajoling and ummm bribery by my girlfriend, we finally went to go see it... man some of those lines ranked right along with "do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightening?"

the end battle was excellent... made me teary eyed cause i was thinking of "dope on a rope" school.

but that by no means makes up for the crappy acting, and what was up with yoda???

all in all 6/10

LAME LAME LAME LAME LAME LAAAAAAAME

Dialogue is crap, plot is even crappier, acting is so horrible that, as someone else said, you know its bad when a PUPPET acts better. Amidala was the only one that had a decent performance imo.

This movie was nothing but special effects. Cool battle scenes, but thats about it.

Now im really worried about Episode III. How will they show:

1)Fall of republic

2)Extermination Jedi

3)Rise of Empire

4)Rise of Rebellion

5)Anakin->Vader

6)Birth of Leia and Luke & how they were hidden from Vader.

7)THE clone war itself.

in one movie?

Especially with the low standards hollywood has nowadays.

It will be very easy to do all of those thing in epIII... Lucas pukeass gets all of his storylines from historical models. The orignial trilogy is simple an american war of independace in space. The rebel voices are all yankee hicks, and the "empire" is very obviously the british imperial empire, imperial navy etc.

The fall of the republic and the rise of the empire are the same as either the roman paradigm, or a nazi german one... en either case, the leader of the democratic system is granted emergence powers to quell an immediate threat, and then declars himself ceasar/dictator... very simple, very classic. As soon as the emperor declars himself such, the republic loyalists revolt and break off, and have to fend of the clones (aka the clone war), where the seemt to kill most of the actual clones, but still get beaten into hiding. The two terrible actors love intrest is to the point where the brats will probably have been spawned by the time the next movie picks up the story. The foreshadowing of anakin turning is so heavy handed that he is practically evil already. As seen from the first two screenplays, a trained monkey writes this stuff, so it really isn't very hard to figure out.

Now to bashing the movie proper.... I'm really good at hating things, but this heap of feces left me speechless for days... but now I'm ready.

The acting was bad... it was bad. But all of the actors have demonstrated talent elswere (even anakin), so the fault would seem to lie with the director being really heavy handed, and the script being the worst script ever written.

The "characterization" was heavy handed and terrible, sacraficing any subtly and quality to make it very explicit, who was what.

The love scenes... the dialogue was bad enough, but the cliches... the running throw the meadow full of dandilions... police academy made fun of that cliche years ago. There is no excuse for that. Yes, the love intrest had to be there. There are people that can actually write a good love story. Most great epics involve a love interest. There is no reason it had to be that terrible. The characters didn't even act as was in the nature of their characters. In what world does the pick up line "not just the men, I killed the women and the children too" result in sympathy from a woman? Especially given that her character is defined as being compassionate and proper... There is no way her character would not think what he did was wrong, love or no love.

The dialogue at the clone place... McGregor can act, but no one can make that dialogue make sense... It was painfully obvious that he had no clue what was going on, and no matter what mind trick, even Jar Jar wouldn't have believe a word Obi said the the long necked weird, badly done thing.

Why would anyone clone a bounty hunter for their army? Why not a real, loyal, soldier?

Why was the evil jedi so pathetic, dull, and uninteresting? Villains are the fun part.

Where does a cenetor learn to pick a lock?

Who would trust Jar Jar to be a cenetor?

The special effects were good, but I like the old puppet better... flawed though they were, the were often more convincing... yoda for example, was better as a puppet. I also miss the models... the model ships were better then the CG ships, to my taste anyway. There was lots of CG stuff that was beautiful though, like the water falls... although, it look a lot like niagra with a meadow in front of it.

The movie was terrible. The writer of the script should be executed for crimes against literature. The plot was dull, the dialogue was terrible, how can it get worse? So the battle scenes were good. Start trek is about adventure, and adventure is about heros, characters, and dialogue, otherwise its just 2 and a half our game of DOOM that you don't have any control over, with lots of boring stuff in between...

Oh, and when your are "protecting" someone, you do not go out into a field, in the middle of no where, with no one around, with no cover for 100 of miles, and no way to escape if you are attacked, in a place associate with the person you are trying to protect. Even a cocky jedi, shouldn't be that stupid.

Cheers

[ 05-25-2002, 15:35: Message edited by: AshSpear ]

That "latino trooper" artical was funny though... "he totally looked latino." The guy is Maori... I'd be more worred about angy Maori than an army of mexicans.

Its funny that the anti-ractial sterotype people are angry because someone who looks stero-typically like he is latin is in a movie. What hipocrites

yeah, and yoda is insulting to all those pasty skinned dyslexic-tongued midgets on this earth dammit! How could lucas be so insensitive! lets sue his butt! mwahahaha.

I just saw EP II yesterday with my 2 year old son and although I was under pressure to get to work I really enjoyed it. The last battle was indeed spectacular but I enjoyed the story too.

I will admit Anakin could do with some acting classes as some of his scenes seemed a little flat

But otherwise very enjoyable.

Well, saw it yesterday with my fiancee - she hated it and sat through it only because it was so important to me and I was loving it. Boy did I have to make up for that later

Anyway, there were a ton of kids in the audience and as soon as the limbs started flying off I noticed some parents taking their kids and leaving. Bravo to them - I hadn't seen an amputation* on a movie screen until Starship troopers at age 17, and that had me horrified for the rest of the week.

Anyway, good show all around, can't wait to see Episode 3.

*Excluding Luke losing his hand in Empire Strikes Back - though horrible, it was made less so because Luke was a fleshed out character you could relate to. So rather than be shocked, I was only somewhat shocked and very sad Luke lost his hand.

Hamill has a gift for voice acting and puts it to good use in cartoons, but also makes regular appearances on "The Outer Limits" which is a twilight zone type show with more of a science fiction bent.

He also recently did voice acting for Soldier of Fortune II as I understand it. Why he didn't voice his own character in Jedi Knight II is anyone's guess

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Originally posted by XenoZohar:

I thought that was only in the Batman Animated Movie? The Phantasm one?

he did that, and all the animated series episodes after.

just like michael ansara did the voice of Mr Freeze for Sub Zero and all the episodes after that.

2 very cool voice actors.

Hamil's acting sucks imo.

Now, the guy that played Tolwyn in the WC games, the mad scientist in the Star Trek Generations , the guy that played the leader of WATER AND POWER in TANK GIRL... that guy can really act!

Malcolm McDowell. If you see a movie at your video store called "Gangster No.1" RENT IT...it's a british organised crime movie and McDowell is only in at the beginning and end, but his acting is incredible. (The whole movie on its own is damn good too)

• 1 month later...

Finally saw it last night at the drive in. I liked the movie but the experience sucked.

We got there halfway through a double feature and had to wait for Lilo and Stitch to end. Then we had to wait for all the cars to leave. We finally got in and had to navigate between everyone running to the concession stand. The guy flagged us into a spot and told us we could move later. We waited for the concession crowd to get a little thinner and finally were able to move to a slightly better spot.

Well we set up our lawn chairs and setttled in. Then this septic tank odor started drifting over the place. Ughhh. And the tree frogs were going nuts. And these people in a minivan close to us were just having a normal conversation not having anything at all to do with the movie. Plus it took about 45 minutes for everyone to settle down with others crakning up and leaving.

The only good thing about it was the guy never came and collected our money. Free movie! But we did buy concessions so that made up for some of it.

The movie was pretty good and explained a lot. Got to see annikins start towards the dark side, the beginnings of the storm troopers, and the start of the C-3PO/RS-D2 team. Also got to see what happened to most of the Jedi, and the start of the Empire. I'll have to go see it again to make up for what I lost but I'm happy with it.

Now in 3 they'll have to explain why we only know of two Jedi in 4 (Yoda and Obi Wan) and tie it into Star Wars completely. We were discussing this on the way home. Do ya'll think he'll make 7, 8, and 9?

Might want new thread for that discussion.

Guest Grayfox

well... so far i think he might of strayed a wee bit from the literature. if im not mistaken, Boba Fett was an identity for a guy named Jaster Mereel, a Journeyman Protector (kinda like a cop) for a world called Concord Dawn.

he was exiled from his world when he killed another protector who was corrupt. from there its said he joined the empire as a stormtrooper, but offed his corrupt CO as well.

After that he went into bounty hunting and adopted the name Boba Fett and got his hands on Mandalorian Combat armor...

so you see, the movie does stray a bit from the approved lit (unfortunately)

[ 07-01-2002, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

Guest $iLk

quote:

so you see, the movie does stray a bit from the approved lit (unfortunately)

Although I disagree that the literature is approved, (The Heir to the Empire Trilogy by Timothy Zahn was the only Lucasfilm recognized novels in the continuity) the Jaster Mereel bit was held on to partially.

In the new Star Wars Guide to characters, we are told that Jaster Mereel was Jango Fett's mandalorian teacher, who was killed by someone, and his armor taken as a trophy. Jango Fett killed him and took back the armor. After Boba Fett grew older, he took Jaster Mereel's armor as his own.

The idea of Boba Fett as a stormtrooper, or as a Journeyman protector are told to be fabrications as to his identity, since he doesn't want anyone to know he is a clone.

I think the new Episode II take on things really helped the character grow.