Night at the movies - Minority Report

Supreme Cmdr

OK, for movie, I have a dedicated scale which I use to rate them. Normally, I'd just give a score and be done with it.

However, not this time.

You see, the scale goes like this

1. pure, utter, crap

2. rubbish. wait for the DVD if you want to see it

3. Go see it if you like this kind of movie

After sitting through minority report for the better part of almost three hours (it started late, which meant sitting around in the theatre for about 15 mins past the start time), unfortunatly, not only is it dull, boring, ludicrous and not worth the sitting - there is nothing compelling or worth watching in the movie. Nothing.

Tom, as always, gives a great performance. But even that is not enough to carry this movie. Hey, I liked The Fifth Element and watches it twice at the theatre. This movie isn't even close to The Fifth Element in any shape or form. Once you watch this movie, you will find no reason to even see it again, let alone rent or buy the DVD (even if you're a collector).

This movie was so bad in so many ways, the fact that I'm stilling posting about it, should tell you just how pissed I am that this movie turned out this way.

This movie is pure and utter rubbish. Since AI, I had suspected that Spielberg had lost his touch. Now, it just proves that he's also gon' and frigging lost his mind along with it.

If you hated AI, don't bother watching this movie. It is the same, boring, ludicrous farce.

The one point I give it is only because of Tom and Peter's* performance. If it wasn't for that, this movie would be rated 0/10 on my scale.

1/10

*If you have recently seen Windtalkers and Sum Of All Fears, you'd have noticed Peter Stormare making the rounds in both. Well, he's in Minority Report too. Since I saw him in Fargo (one of the hired killers) and Armageddon (the Russian cosmonaut), I knew that he was going to be big. He is such a believable character actor that no matter what he's doing, you just want to keep watching him. Damn fine actor. Hope he gets bigger.

SC,

As always, your approach to movie rating is logical and fair. Thanks for the heads up on this bomb, as I was considering going to see it, however...

I use a slightly different criteria in determining whether a movie is worth the cash in my wallet... "TV Ads"

I can usually tell if a movie is going to be good or bad by how much they hype it in television commercials. It seems the more it's hyped on TV, the worse it is.

This one was advertised no less than six times one recent evening while Milady and I viewed one of the recent classics. The red flag went up.

My guess is it will hit the Sci-Fi channel in about 3 months. Price of admission: One monthly cable bill.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

about 3 months. Price of admission: One monthly cable bill.

Provided you actually pay it, or for the installation, or for anything for that matter. It's supprising how many people call in wondering why their cable was disconnected when they haven't payed for it for the past 60 days.... it's really verry simple.... PAY THE BILL AND YOU WON'T BE DISCONNECTED!!!

back on topic... I'm still thinking about seeing it, has an interesting premise and some of the environments could be interesting.

quote:

I can usually tell if a movie is going to be good or bad by how much they hype it in television commercials. It seems the more it's hyped on TV, the worse it is.

This one was advertised no less than six times one recent evening while Milady and I viewed one of the recent classics. The red flag went up.

what about those that are showed twice in a "we'll be right back" moment?

quote:

...advertised no less than six times one recent evening...

You think that's bad? Tune into Cartoon Network for any extended period of time. The friggin' PowerPuff Girls movie, advertised in some manner, no less than six times IN ONE COMMECIAL BREAK, is what you'll find. Gr.

Guest Grayfox

when i seen the previews for it, i told my g/f it reminded me of an episode of the new outer limits. she just stared at me with a blank expression

anyone remember the episode im talking about??? a woman doctor (or something close) in the future helps develop a time travel device, and she goes back and stops murders before they actually happen. then she has the guts enough to go back and stop the person who sexually abused her as a child.

anyway, thats what it reminds me of. i think spielberg has lost his grip unfortunately.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

anyone remember the episode im talking about??? a woman doctor (or something close) in the future helps develop a time travel device, and she goes back and stops murders before they actually happen. then she has the guts enough to go back and stop the person who sexually abused her as a child.

whoa!!! funny you should mention that. The same thing came to mind, but I forgot to mention it. Yep, I remember that episode quite well!!

Guest Grayfox

well, im glad i didnt go see it

nothing really looks interesting to me right now in theatres anyway... might take the kid to see lilo and stitch, but until december when the Two Towers comes out ill be at home.

It was a good movie, just not as action oriented as you'd expect. Like it if you just want to see a good, well made film with no huge frills or thrills. I think it should have ended with the bad guy winning though, when "you know who" was locked up. You'll know what I mean if you've seen the movie.

[ 06-29-2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Dredd ]