NIght at the movies - Reign Of Fire

Supreme Cmdr

Saw it and I liked it though one disappointment....

Warning: Kind of a spoiler.....

I was expecting some massive dragon vs military war to happen, but it never did. It would have been cool if they showed a big machine vs dragon battle, or the dragons reigning terror on big cities instead of just showing some Time Magazine covers of it happening.

quote:

Originally posted by LordDavid:

I was expecting some massive dragon vs military war to happen, but it never did. It would have been cool if they showed a big machine vs dragon battle, or the dragons reigning terror on big cities instead of just showing some Time Magazine covers of it happening.

Yep, I'm with you on that one. I was disappointed by that myself.

Just got back from it, my friends and I had a great time MST3king it ; ). Anyway, don't think too much and just sit back and enjoy the ride *g*. Thumbs up.

Did anyone else think it was odd that it took 2 magneseum(sp) tipped C4 arrows to take that thing down at the end? Especially since the first one didn't seem to do any damage.

If you haven't seen the movie the following could be considered a spolier, so beware!

As with most movies, the laws of physics must be thrown out the window. In our universe, the first magnesium tipped c4 arrow would(if it could be fired correctly etc) would have probably blinded the creature. In the movie world, however, the only way for a c4 arrow to have any effect is if it manages to get to the inside of the creature ; ). Of course this isn't stating one of the most important laws of physics of movies, dramatic effect. At least, thats my take on it.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Did anyone else think it was odd that it took 2 magneseum(sp) tipped C4 arrows to take that thing down at the end? Especially since the first one didn't seem to do any damage.

The first one missed and hit him on the head I believe. The second one was perfectly timed and detonated right as both glands started mixing the chemicals required for the flame burst. Chris Bale timed it right, which is why he was waiting for it (which Mathew told him) to do it.

And seeing that we don't know what happened to Matt, even in the three months time that the movie indicated at the end, who can say sequel?

Please no more spoilers. A possible answer to the

dragon vs military scenes..in reading about this film during production in Cinescape , I got the impression budgetary limations were the fly in the ointment. If it does well enough at the Box office we will see all in RoFII

quote:

Originally posted by Parias:

Bah, I'd actually prefer a prequel.. I'd LOVE to know where those dragons actually came from.

That was explained in the beginning

What I want to know is, if one lone soldier knew that it took only the killing of one male - who just happened to be at the same, exact location throughout, why not the entire world's force.

Besides, a magnesium tipped arrow? And the world's nuclear arsenal and best scientific minds did'nt figure that out? What about dropping nukes on or near the nests? I mean, c'mon, the whole storyline reeked, but it was fun. Why ask why?

uh.... sentimental value against droping a nuke on London? Or just forget nukes, send in about 10 or so F-22's or what every you want, I don't think those dragons can engage at the range the fighters could nor could the dragons do too much maneuvering against a swarm of missiles even if that failed what happened to the good old cannons on the planes? But even though the storyline was a little shaky, it wasn't a bad movie.

True the military hardware available is no match for a Dragon, but it's not much help when you consider the mass numbers the movie hinted at.

They compared thier reproduction to that of fish in the movie. That's actually a huge statement, but I assume many probably missed it.

Take for example a common Angel-fish. It can lay two thousand + eggs in one laying. Now add to that the fact that many common reptile species(which I would more closely compare the Dragons with) can reach maturity in less than a year.

In that relatively short amount of time, a creature at the top of the food chain like this would over-populate at an amazing rate. Once the havoc began, governments would have more than just Dragons to deal with. Mass panic from people alone would probably cause just as much damage to local infrastructre as any Dragon could.

The world was overcome by the sheer numbers of them. It's not hard to believe.

Praylac: I do remember them saying that they reproduced at an alarming rate and that the dragon's overpopulation was causing them to run out of food. What I am saying is that I'm sure that the worlds top scientists and military personnel would be able to come to the conclusion that after killing so many of the dragons and finding them all to be female (post battle analysis to find weakensses and better means of killing them) that they would start plotting where the male was and once that location was pinpointed target and nuke it or simply focus an assault there. It really wouldn't have been that difficult to do, for the use of nukes and failure of conventional forces to stop the dragons would only have been caused by a gross incompetance of the combined military organizations of the world. and that level of incompetance is something that I have a hard time believing.

SPOILER

About the first arrow... The dragon spat out fire at the last second causing the arrow to detonate early. The arrow exploded near the dragon, not on him.

[ 07-23-2002, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: Vorpal ]

It'll make a decent rental when it comes out in a couple weeks.

As for the ending; they forgot the cardinal rule of bad guys. He (the bad guy) has to go down/get hurt at least three times before you can really kill him.